Mach3 "Mastercam Friendly??? Why I cant transfer any kind of G or M Codes???

  • migueldeservantesysaavedra
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 22, 2014

      We have Mastercam 6 at college, and I have been trying to bring a few complex arches and cone angles to Mach3 From Mastercam but Not matter what it send all the tool paths to hell! Can any one give me a few ideas??

      Thanks.

    • handsmfg
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 22, 2014
        There ia a pretty good mach3 post processor for Mastercam that I have had really good results with on the machsupport.com web site in the software and downloads section. You will get errors when you try and load the gcode if the IJ in general settings isn't set right. Also you will need to do some minor editing for spindle speed and feedrates. If you are doing several tool changes and using G43 you will have to add the H word and number for the tool.
        Eric.
      • migueldeservantesysaavedra
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 22, 2014
          Wow man! This is actually one of the very few times that some one actually answer "on a positive light to any of my questions! Thank you very much. It is really appreciated,
        • migueldeservantesysaavedra
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 22, 2014
            It looks to me like if the post processor for mastercam have been removed from the website.
          • handsmfg
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 22, 2014
              It's still there I just downloaded it. Go to machsupport.com. Click on Softwate and Downloads. Find CAM Post Processors amd click on that and find Mastercam and click on that and the mach3b.zip should download for you.
              Eric
            • migueldeservantesysaavedra
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 22, 2014
                Yup! Ignorant me! I keep clicking on the mastercam in stead than the download side! I apologize, do you know if there is a tutorial of how to change the post processor??
              • handsmfg
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 22, 2014
                  You can search on YouTube there are some very good videos on Mastercam. To load the post processor in Mastercam go to Settings - Run User Applications. Double click on updatepost.dll and follow the instructions.Eric
                • migueldeservantesysaavedra
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 23, 2014
                    So! !! HMG The post processor isn't installed on mach3??? It is installed on Mastercam!!! WOW Now I know why I was having such a hard time installing last night and why mach din't like it to much!! Thanks again! you really make me feel really stupid, but at the same time allow me to get rid of my ignorance!

                    Miguel.
                  • migueldeservantesysaavedra
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 23, 2014
                      Well the post processor that is in Mach.. happen to be  the one for Mill and it is totally outdated, I follow the detail instruction that are available, and it didn't work, I need  a compatible version that is good for MastercamX6 for the lathe not the mill, any ideas??

                      Thanks in advance.
                    • handsmfg
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 23, 2014
                        I have been reading your posts and I'm not trying to be disrespectful but I'm wondering if you are misundrestanding what Mach 3 actually does. Mach3 is a CNC machine controller program. Mach 3 doesn't produce gcode never has and never will. All Mach 3 does is read the gcode that makes the CNC machine work. To produce gcode you need a CAD/CAM program like Mastercam and the proper post processor be it mill or lathe and those post processors are dependent on the type of machine they were written for. 3 axis 4 axis 6 axis the post processor has to be compatible for your machine. Most CNC machine manufactures will supply a post processor that is written just for their machines. So that being said the Mach 3 post processor on the machsupport web site is fot a 3 axis mill.

                        The Mach 3 lathe post processor can be found in the files section of this users group. The file you want is _MACH3LA.PST. This post processor is really old so be prepaired to be disappointed. Mastercam has the ability to edit post processors but your on your own there. Maybe there is a Mastercam yahoo user group that you an try too. I just wanted to add that last part because there are some on this group who will start complaining and tell you to go somewhere else for help because this is for Mach 3 and for Mach 4 support only not Mastercam. So good luck and I hope you are successful.

                        Eric
                      • art2
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 23, 2014

                          Hi Guys:

                          >> But I KNOW smoothstepper will never release a version to make lasers properly usable

                            My appologies to Greg for that, it was badly worded, what I should have said was..

                          But I dont expect a developer making a smoothstepper or other device to give me callable functions for
                          the weird and wonderful things I may want to do, so it'd be good to have a way of injecting my own into
                          a working system.

                          (Turns out Greg has added laser control to the ESS, unknown to me, so Id hate to imply that his isnt a
                          properly usable way of driving a laser, ...it just isnt the properly usable way I wish to use one myself.
                           :-)  , no offense meant.

                          www.gearotic.com

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 24, 2014
                            Well, Eric: I have to express my gratitude, not only for your help, but also for not been rude, Perhaps you and the rest of this forum may already have noticed that I'm fairly new to Mach, and well, there is a learning curb that will take me some time, I have found more than one post processor for mach3 but exactly as you said before, all of them are seriously outdated, and wen I try to post them on mastercam it say that they are all of them "Pre X version" and basically the program right out reject those post's

                            I'm learning, and perhaps that is the most important aspect! and Yes I do understand, that Mach don't generate any kind of G & M Codes, except for the wizards that are very limited but "Hell they are way better than noting" I'm specially grateful for Rich, & Art's documentation and custom thread wizards" Their hard work have been invaluable,

                            Perhaps you and the rest of the people here can forgive my ignorance, I have to say that my learning curve is very mean! I can catch and retain large and very hard to understand concepts, and hope that one day I will be supporting a few new members,

                            Mark.
                          • handsmfg
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 24, 2014
                              Hello Mark

                              We all had to start at the beginning. I didn't want to make you feel like you were not welcome to post here just was saying that I have seen some rude comments from people who forgot that they had to start at the beginning too.

                              I'm using Mastercam X6 and didn't have any trouble loading the post processor mill or lathe. Mastercam should identify them as a Mastercam version 9 and make the necessary changes to each so your current version of Mastercam can use it. When you ran updatepost.dll did you choose lathe as the type of post processor you wanted to update. When updatepost.dll opens up mill is the default selection. I had that problem the 1st time I loaded the lathe post processor.

                              Eric
                            • migueldeservantesysaavedra
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 25, 2014
                                Well, Eric, Thank you again for the investment of your time on me, Well I guess that I can take the time and post the warning windows that I get when ever I try to select and install the post-processor, usually say, as I mentioned that the version is a Previous to the MastercamX "meaning before version ten, and it say that it will not be implemented. "and believe me, I read it a few times very slowly" because some times there is much that gets lost on the translation" meaning that I have a hard time understanding, not what it say but what it means.Never the less thank you again for your time and efforts to help.

                                Mark
                              • Kevin Clough
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 26, 2014
                                  Parton my Ignorgance,

                                  But is there a free limited time test version of Darwin so I can see
                                  if it's smoother on my system than Mach 3 using the pp driver? I
                                  looked on the mach forums and didn't see a link to download it. I'm
                                  on the 1936 build. Or is Darwin a strictly paid software driver only?

                                  My cnc computer is up to date (I7 3ghz cpu, 6 ghz ram) , but my
                                  current 3 axis mill moves with relatively slow Ipm speeds. If it
                                  works smoother, it seems like it should be a good deal to update and
                                  i'd upgrade yet this month. I'm presently cash strapped to upgrade
                                  my hobby level mill, but I am planning on doing a hardware update at
                                  a later date.

                                  If it ran smoother than Mach 3, I'd buy both right now, but I would
                                  like to try it first on my hardware to see if it works better.

                                  Kevin