I think I'm done with Mach 4

  • beebear
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 20, 2014

      Well I had Mach 4 running on this newer computer yesterday using the settings from Mach 3. I had Darwin running at 25K and all was well. I shut down the computer and the mill last night and called it good.

      Tonight I turned on the computer and mill and started up Mach 4. When I tried to move the axis’s all the motors were screeching and howling. Unfortunately with all this kayos, it snapped the Z axis coupler !!!

      I have tried all the suggestions everyone mentioned and I can get the mill to run smooth  but when I power everything down and back on whatever settings I had in there must not stay because I have to fiddle around to get the mill running again. If I connect the mill back up to the old computer running Mach 3, it runs smooth as glass.

      So I don’t know if it’s the newer computer, the controller or Mach 4 that is the problem. While in Darwin, I can move all the motors faster than I can in Mach 4 with the slider set anywhere from 25K to 40 K.  At this point I need to get the mill fixed and connected back up to Mach 3 so I can finish a couple projects.

      John Frankforther

    • art2
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 20, 2014

        Hi John:

          Id drop it for a bit, testing can get pretty frustration. Give it some time to settle, I havent heard of lost settings since ver 1936 came out, but
        you never konw. Some bugs are like that, they take time to become clear. Try agin in a bit and see if its better. Mine doesnt forget anything
        anymore, I run it around 40 times a day in testing various things.. so its getting better fast..

        www.gearotic.com

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 20, 2014

          I don’t think the settings were lost as everything I set was still there. I just can’t figure out why would it work one time and after powering down and back on again it went bonkers!! This has happened 3 times now and with breaking the coupler, I’m stumped!

          Maybe I’ll break out my o-scope and start checking signals from the P-Port on the newer computer.

          What are you running for a computer and BOB??

          John Frankforther

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 21, 2014
            Getting better fast is precise.  No wonder.. how many years of pc cnc in the bundle? What a school M3 would have been too... MachHarvard

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 21, 2014

              John:

                 I use a dual core XP system that I keep switching my hard drive over to as I upgrade.Im basically running the same XP system
              that developed M3 at the end. Even my email is over 7 gigs on this machine going back to 2001. As to why things would change,
              well, they shouldnt. Either a setting is changing.. or perhaps a ground is bad. If the system runs M3 fine, then it has to be a setting changing. I do note one thing though, after changing some setting, M4 has to be restarted. SO when your happy with any tuning, shut it down, restart , and see if it still works that way. If so, it shouldnt be different the next day.  If it doesnt work well on restart right after shutting down, then its posibble some setting didnt take
              and further setting were predicated on that first one. Like tuning home speed when the velocity is incorrect after tuning. What I tend to do ,
              is after tunign velocity and accel, I shut down and restart, then if jogging is OK, I setup homing and such. Mine has been good since 1936, and Im now on 1942 which youll probably get soon. ( 1942 is MPG capable though I havent tried one yet.).

                In the end such oddities usually show themselves, either on your system or others, so when you get frustrated, say F-it. Walk away, watch a few
              episodes of the beverly hilllbillies..whatever, and youll find next time you enter the system you feel a bit better about getting screwed by some setting somewhere. If you keep at it when your pretty well knackered.. well, its not usually pretty and the medications get a bit expensive. :)

              www.gearotic.com

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 21, 2014

                Francisco:

                >how many years of pc cnc in the bundle? What a school M3 would have been too... MachHarvard

                 Some day I hope to get my doctorate.. every highschool dropouts dream. :-)

                www.gearotic.com

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 21, 2014
                  Sw:
                  Some of the oddities are related to Microsoft .dll strategies.
                  Some are related to default directories (paths not being used in sw and or drivers).
                  Some are related to 2 above, and non-us versions of windows.

                  Motion hw, plugins, and sw:
                  Some are related to the specific motion hw you are using.
                  The drivers, plugins and or .dlls may not work as they should depending on one of the above (so even if it work on ONE version of windows, it wont work on another).

                  Power:
                  Some are related to aux power supplies (5V, 12V and 24V).
                  Some are related to the fact that the machines (including stock industrial stuff) are not properly grounded are or have earth leaks .
                  This creates noise, errors and low voltages creating intermittent errors.

                  Poor plugins:
                  And most of the motion control plugins are not very good, esp. the cheap ones.
                  So they implement stuff in weird ways, and of course document nothing.

                  Lack of docs:
                  There are no reference docs, or samples like "connect switches in this way".

                  Lack of proper planning/materials:
                  All above is compounded when people try to do things on the cheap, and try to insist that the, sometimes(commonly) unfit for purpose, gear is just as good as the proper stuff.

                  I have faced all above, and also made (many) errors with poor gear.

                  OTOH, good gear was rare and expensive in 2002 when I started. Today its not.

                  Improvements:

                  --
                  -hanermo (cnc designs)

                • Francisco Flores
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 21, 2014
                    Yeah true same here.. higherSchool dropout.  But you guys have mastered at something!

                    Art, are you keen to going back to Gearotic development? do you still have much more things to add and improve on it?  Whats your plans and other new stuff. just curious.. I hope you keep active on this field for many decades to come.

                    I am keen to see what additive manufacturing will be like in a few years... laser sintering and things

                    regards,
                    francisco

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 21, 2014
                      The most important improvements, imnsho, should be:

                      Define list of motion-control plugin activities.
                      How it homes
                      How it slaves and homes

                      Threading and CSS

                      Multiple spindles/indexers/rotaries
                      -Defining, accesing and using same.
                      -Switching active spindle in/out
                      -Using multiple spindles at once

                      If something like motor tuning/homing/slaving/probing is done outside of
                      mach, that the output be standard and accesible in a std way to mach4.

                      Having a list of how things should be done, in sw, could help in that:
                      -Hw makers can test weather they output in a std way
                      -Hw buyers and users can see if this output actually works like it should
                      -Where the solution is non-standard, this can be easily documented

                      The current mess and morass is partly because no-one has defined should
                      e.g. homing (probing) happen once, or twice.
                      -Should it trigger on enter or release
                      -Does the motion-control hw or plugin decide it or does mach
                      -Whats the output

                      I am not advocating any given solution.
                      I believe almost any solution can work, and the hw is already cheap and
                      able to support real-world industrial results.
                      The sw lags far behind, and lack of a standard, any std, is partly the
                      root of the problem.

                      I am working with Pokeys and CSMIO and expect to have both running with
                      Mach4 at some point.

                      Suggestion:
                      I could perhaps/can, if there is interest, hook up a reference machine,
                      maybe with webcam, that would implement a web-accessible reference solution.
                      This would be a non-working machine in general, available to all to
                      compare stuff against.

                      Ie lathe that runs, but no tools/live spindle (powered up) to guard
                      against crashes.
                      And perhaps a web-based control available to developers at need, and
                      everyone else when its free.
                      So you can remotely run/see the machine run.

                      Servos only, step dir spindle(s), high quality mechanical limits, linear
                      guide machine.
                      MPGs, 2 or more of (fixed on x and z at least).
                      Perhaps high-accuracy micron electronic indicators, on the limits and
                      homing, and SPC output for independent measurement of errors.

                      I might perhaps do a micromill as well.
                      (Think of a lab machine with say 200x200x100 mm work envelope, and sub
                      micron step size).

                      I import switches, drives, ac brushless servos, and high quality
                      electronic indicators, as well as linear guides and ballscrews for
                      industrial use.
                      I might be able to knock up a machine in a few days (before the plugins
                      are here, anyway) for a show and reference platform if there is interest.
                      I have all except servos in stock, and could get some more.
                      ATM, we are waiting for CSMIO and Pokeys drivers for Mach4.

                      Comments are also welcome online and off.

                      If any hw manufacturers wish, I could have their motion control stuff
                      hooked up as well.
                      The best results would come where several sets of hw can be seen to
                      deliver, with a real industrial-quality platform to reference against.

                      This could maybe be a basis for a hw compatibility
                      platform/test/certification.

                      I am expecting a new 100 mbit fiber here, hopefully next week, so it
                      should be possible to provide VPN access to the machine from the internet.

                      -- -hanermo (cnc designs)
                    • Francisco Flores
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 21, 2014
                        wow that sounds pretty amazing idea.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 21, 2014

                          >>Art, are you keen to going back to Gearotic development? do you still have much more things to add and improve on it

                            Yes , after a summer off I always have a lot of idea's to explore. GM is my final development, so it will continue as long as people like it.
                          This year the CAM gets remade to do multiple objects at once and we'll begin to travel down the road of CAD as well, we'll see how that
                          works out. See you in Gearheads soon, Francisco... (Im off to Portugal for a 2 week vacation soon, then back to work.. )

                          www.gearotic.com

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 21, 2014
                            Portugal é um país lindo. Boas ondas, povo acolhedor e ótima culinária:) aproveitem..
                            Um abraço,
                            Francisco Flores

                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 21, 2014

                              Francisco..

                              Sempre quis vê-lo, eu sei que vai ser ótimo. Mal estar de volta em outubro.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 22, 2014
                                E vai tradução com o Google né Sr. Art Fenerty!  KKKKKKKK boa:)  faz-me rir.

                                LOL

                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 22, 2014

                                  Yes, those translaters are amazing.. lol

                                  www.gearotic.com

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 22, 2014
                                    I tambien muchos de nosotros le entendemos perfectamente, anque non necesseriamenete somos de alli/aqui.
                                    Me gusto la comida Portuguese, cuando estuvi alli, hace algunos anos, pero aun mejor lo de Brajil, en Rio, hace un ano en enero.

                                    Mi experiencia en Rio era 100% positivos, y no tenia ningun problema de cmmunicacion, llo hablaba Espanol y me respondio en Protugues, y ambos los entendiamos sin ningun problema.

                                    Un saludo cordial, Art y Fransisco.

                                    On 22/08/2014 13:28, art2 fenerty@... [mach1mach2cnc] wrote:

                                    Yes, those translaters are amazing.. lol

                                    www.gearotic.com

                                    E vai tradução com o Google né Sr. Art Fenerty!  KKKKKKKK boa:)  faz-me rir.

                                    LOL

                                    Sempre quis vê-lo, eu sei que vai ser ótimo. Mal estar de volta em outubro.

                                    Portugal é um país lindo. Boas ondas, povo acolhedor e ótima culinária:) aproveitem..
                                    Um abraço,
                                    Francisco Flores

                                    >>Art, are you keen to going back to Gearotic development? do you still have much more things to add and improve on it

                                      Yes , after a summer off I always have a lot of idea's to explore. GM is my final development, so it will continue as long as people like it.
                                    This year the CAM gets remade to do multiple objects at once and we'll begin to travel down the road of CAD as well, we'll see how that
                                    works out. See you in Gearheads soon, Francisco... (Im off to Portugal for a 2 week vacation soon, then back to work.. )

                                    www.gearotic.com

                                    >how many years of pc cnc in the bundle? What a school M3 would have been too... MachHarvard

                                     Some day I hope to get my doctorate.. every highschool dropouts dream. :-)

                                    www.gearotic.com

                                    Getting better fast is precise.  No wonder.. how many years of pc cnc in the bundle? What a school M3 would have been too... MachHarvard

                                      Muito Bacana Hannu.  Este idioma que falastes no Brasil é comumente conhecido como "Portunhol"..  uma mistura de Espanhol com Português.  Sempre me divirto ao falar o "Portunhol".

                                      Nice!

                                      F.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 22, 2014
                                        Re: [mach1mach2cnc] I think I'm done with Mach 4

                                        Al fin, la lista en español, portugues y portuñol :)

                                        finally, the list in spanish, portuguese and portspanish :)

                                        From: "art2
                                        fenerty@... [mach1mach2cnc]" <mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com>
                                        Sempre quis vê-lo, eu sei que vai ser ótimo. Mal estar de volta em outubro.

                                        Art
                                        www.gearotic.com

                                        From: "art2
                                        fenerty@... [mach1mach2cnc]" <mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com>
                                        >>Art, are you keen to going back to Gearotic development? do you still have much more things to add and improve on it

                                         Yes , after a summer off I always have a lot of idea's to explore. GM is my final development, so it will continue as long as people like it.
                                        This year the CAM gets remade to do multiple objects at once and we'll begin to travel down the road of CAD as well, we'll see how that
                                        works out. See you in Gearheads soon, Francisco... (Im off to Portugal for a 2 week vacation soon, then back to work.. )

                                        www.gearotic.com

                                        >how many years of pc cnc in the bundle? What a school M3 would have been too... MachHarvard

                                        Some day I hope to get my doctorate.. every highschool dropouts dream. :-)

                                        www.gearotic.com

                                        Getting better fast is precise.  No wonder.. how many years of pc cnc in the bundle? What a school M3 would have been too... MachHarvard

                                        Well I had Mach 4 running on this newer computer yesterday using the settings from Mach 3. I had Darwin running at 25K and all was well. I shut down the computer and the mill last night and called it good.
                                        Tonight I turned on the computer and mill and started up Mach 4. When I tried to move the axis’s all the motors were screeching and howling. Unfortunately with all this kayos, it snapped the Z axis coupler !!!
                                        I have tried all the suggestions everyone mentioned and I can get the mill to run smooth  but when I power everything down and back on whatever settings I had in there must not stay because I have to fiddle around to get the mill running again. If I connect the mill back up to the old computer running Mach 3, it runs smooth as glass.
                                        So I don’t know if it’s the newer computer, the controller or Mach 4 that is the problem. While in Darwin, I can move all the motors faster than I can in Mach 4 with the slider set anywhere from 25K to 40 K.  At this point I need to get the mill fixed and connected back up to Mach 3 so I can finish a couple projects.
                                        John Frankforther

                                        -hanermo (cnc designs)

                                        --
                                        Pablo E. Untroib