Hard Drive Died. Installed Mach 4 But Darwin Won't

  • handsmfg
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 20 2:39 PM

      Hello Art & Brian

      My hard drive died and I had to buy a new one. I installed Windows XP Pro SP 3 and had trouble installing Mach 4 so I installed Net Framework 3.5 and finally got Mach 4 to install. Computer is set as Standard Computer in device manager for Mach 3. That installed fine and is working.  I installed Darwin and I get the following pop up error box Failed to load shared libary "mcDarwin.m4pw" (error 0 : the operation completed  successfully).

      There is no Darwin to choose from when I go to configure plugins. In the Mac4Hobby folder Darwin.dll exists and in the plugins folder mcDarwin.mp4w exists. Darwin is also showing up in device manager and has no conflicts.

      Eric

    • Ger
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 20 3:07 PM

        Did you run DarwinTest.exe?

        Gerry

        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 20 3:55 PM
          Hi Gerry
          Yes I did. I checked device manager and Darwin is enabled and has no issues. For some reason Mach 4 isn't seeing it. I have a disk image of the old hard drive but I would rather have a clean install.
          I think that something happened when I couldn't get Mach 4 to install and messed up something. So uninstalling and reinstalling isn't overwriting whatever it is.

          Eric
        • chuck
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 20 4:00 PM
            Eric,
            try doing a system restore to before you installed everything than start over.
            Chuck
            Yes I did. I checked device manager and Darwin is enabled and has no issues. For some reason Mach 4 isn't seeing it. I have a disk image of the old hard drive but I would rather have a clean install.
            I think that something happened when I couldn't get Mach 4 to install and messed up something. So uninstalling and reinstalling isn't overwriting whatever it is.

            Eric

          • Trent Badger

              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 20 5:19 PM
                Hi Trent
                Thanks I'll give it a try. The highlighted post said something about Microsoft Visual C++. I'll download both and just install the one from the link and see if that did the trick. This would be awesome if it worked. Thank you.

                Eric
              • art2
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 20 5:56 PM

                  Eric:

                    Download and run the vc9 redist libraries from microsoft. vcredist_86.exe

                  www.gearotic.com

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 21 12:28 PM
                    Hello Art
                    I download and installed the file and I was able to configure Darwin and Mach 4. Something  still isn't right because in Darwin the Time in Int. went from 6.5 to 11.6 us after I closed Mach 4 to save settigs. When I reopened they were 11.6 us. When I tried to home in Mach 4 said it couldn't home because I didn't have any inputs selected for Axis 0,1,and 2. I have the right inputs configured for Mach 4. I had this problem once before when I had a buggy install from either Darwin of Mach 4 and I tried to go back to a know good realease that I had working before. I think on my system that something gets corrupted and writes it in stone and no matter what I do uninstall reinstall system restore It doesn't fix it. The last time this happened I had to restore a working disk image backup that I had saved. So I'm going to start over and do another fresh Windows Pro XP install and install all the drivers and NetFrame work stuff and vc9 files before I ever try to install Mach 4 or Darwin and see if that will fix this issue.

                    Eric
                  • dlp_999
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 21 1:19 PM
                      I had some some problems too.. I don't know if there anything similar or not. I installed a PCI graphics card(had to change stuff in the BIOS) and my homing and limit switches quit working. I had mach4 1936 and darwin 1.11-1.16 so I figured I would put on the last version of darwin (1.17) and it wiped out everything just like it was a new install. so I went back to darwin 1.16 and can not seem to make the homing/limit switches work again.
                    • art2
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 21 1:57 PM
                        Eric:

                        >>So I'm going to start over and do another fresh Windows Pro XP install

                        I woudlnt do that, that seems drastic. Almost always its only a setting
                        somewhere thats being missed. At most deleting the profile and starting over
                        will
                        fix most troubles. Installing XP seems awful drastic..

                        Did you remember to set the switches in the motor config in Darwin as well
                        so the motors know what limit switch they use?
                        Did you check in Darwin to make sure the switch is lit up as active only
                        when the home switch is hit? In Mach4 you have to make sure
                        "Low Active" is never checked. If the switch is backwards change it in
                        Darwin, not M4. When you feel something is corrected beyond
                        recognition, first try deleting the profile and starting fresh, then if that
                        fails delete the mach4 folder itself then reinstall. Also, as long as your
                        versions are new, 1.16 for the plugin, 1.17 for the driver and 1.11 for the
                        dll, you can watch a homing sequence by looking to the bottom status
                        bar in mach, pressing the history button on the bar will show all that
                        occured. Make sure if you press the button m4 shows it on the diags page.

                        One thing I can tell you, if Mach4 starts without error and loads darwin
                        without complaint, your odds of having something wrong
                        that requires a windows reinstall is about equal to the odds of finding an
                        honest politician, in other words a chance so near zero that only
                        a person planning arduously for their retirement by buying lottery tickets
                        can understand the statistical signifigance of it. Stay away from
                        such drastic measures. Take it one error at a time, and ask here what we
                        think.. if a switch doesnt show in diags, usually you can trace
                        that down one step at a time, and so forth..

                        As to too high a time in int..could be a port turned on somehow, could be
                        many things..and one step at a time youll find them. If you
                        find them that way youll remember what did it, always try to stay away from
                        the replace the OS type of fix, its very rarely required.. .really,
                        really , really rarely., :-) ( Did I mention that its probably not your
                        OS? )

                        www.gearotic.com

[...]
                        tr to install Mach 4 or Darwin andy see if that will fix this issue.

                        Eric
                      • handsmfg
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 21 2:30 PM
                          Yeah with your post I'm now convinced that something is getting written in stone somewhere that can't be put right after it gets messed up. I think that knowing what system files are need when upgrading a system running  XP with Mach 3 so Mach 4 can run side by side would be helpful. I couldn't get Mach 4 to install at all until I installed netframe work 3.5 and Mach 4 refused to see Darwin  until I ran vcredist_x86.exe.  So those are the only 2 I know of ust from trial and error. I'm starting over and making sure that all the software and drivers are installed before Mach 4 and Darwin ever get installed. I will go with a known good realease of Mach 4 that worked for me before like 1936 and start with Darwin 1.15 and go from there. I also found out that I don't want to go backwards on Mach 4 and Darwin realeases. Thats where things get broken for me. I also will make a disk image with norton ghost before I start experimenting with this install problem. I think that if I can find a procedure that works it might be helpful to others. I tried running Win 7 on this 10 year Dell and it kept crashing. Mach 3 run great on it so upgrading computer is not going to happen. I can always go back to the disk image that i had before the HD died but I would rather have a fresh install.

                          Eric
                        • Ger
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 21 2:45 PM

                            When your testing software, you should be using only the very latest version. Using a "known good version" does nobody any good.
                            Use the latest versions, and reportt what doesn't work in them. Developers don't want you reporting bugs from 3 versions back, which may have already been fixed.

                            Gerry

                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 21 4:37 PM
                              Hi Gerry
                              That's true I understand that. And what happens to a noob who doesn't have a lot of cash and uses a 10 year old computer to get into the home cnc hobby and has what has happened to me. I'm just trying to recreate the same conditions. A few weeks ago I installed a new video card that messed Mach 4 up. I had to go back to a pre Mach 4 disk image I had with just Mach 3 on it and recreate the process of events the led up to the point of when I broke Mach 4. If I can't get back to square one where I got Mach 4 working then I sure can't get get to square 2 and so on. I can't avoid what I don't know what to avoid. I will install the latest realeases of M4 and Darwin and go from there.

                              Eric
                            • Ger
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 21 5:04 PM

                                Keep using Mach3, and forget about Mach4.
                                Seriously. If Mach3 is working fine for you, I don't see any benefit to upgrading to Mach4. Especially if money is tight.

                                People trying to run Mach4 on 10 year old computers is going to cost Brian thousands of hours in support costs. I was rather suprised to see so many people expect it to run on their 10 year old PC's. Most other modern software certainly won't. At least not very well.

                                Gerry

                              • handsmfg
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 21 5:06 PM
                                  Hi Art
                                  It might seem drastic but If I don't understand how I broke it. I can't prevent it from happening again. I have to trouble shoot as part of my job and usually when problems arise it is something that wasn't done in certain way and it's up to me to recreat the exact senerio of what went wrong and how it broke and what do we have to do to not break it again. For me the best way is to start at 1 and go to 2 and then 3 and so on. I know it might not make since to do it that way. If I had a dollar for everytime I have heard it shouldn't have done that or you shouldn't have to do that I would be rich. I just think in this instance If my computer has all the drivers and file upgrades done before Mach 4 and Darwin are ever installed and everything works then I can make a backup and save that. I then can go back and trouble shoot what went wrong with my first attempt at installing Mach 4 and Darwin. I will use the latest releases of Mach 4 and Darwin when I reinstall.

                                  Eric
                                • CS Mo
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 21 5:12 PM
                                    Eric, please don't take this personally, as I think the amount of work you are putting into testing Mach4 is awesome. However, if you're a noob that doesn't have a lot of cash and a 10 year old computer, you could just run Mach3 on XP which has proven to work well and be very stable over many years. For some people, Mach4 offers some features that would make it worthwhile to upgrade, but for most basic CNC setups, Mach3 works very well.

                                    What I'm trying to say is, while I think it is really great that Art and Brian are trying to support everyone, I don't think it is reasonable for the end user to expect cutting edge software to run on old hardware. That said, you can put together a pretty modern PC for $200 or less these days.

                                    --CS

                                    >Hi Gerry
                                    > That's true I understand that. And what happens to a noob who doesn't
                                    >have a lot of cash and uses a 10 year old computer to get into the home
                                    >cnc hobby and has what has happened to me. I'm just trying to recreate
                                    >the same conditions. A few weeks ago I installed a new video card that
                                    >messed Mach 4 up. I had to go back to a pre Mach 4 disk image I had with
                                    >just Mach 3 on it and recreate the process of events the led up to the
                                    >point of when I broke Mach 4. If I can't get back to square one where I
                                    >got Mach 4 working then I sure can't get get to square 2 and so on. I
                                    >can't avoid what I don't know what to avoid. I will install the latest
                                    >realeases of M4 and Darwin and go from there.
                                    >

                                    > Eric
                                  • handsmfg
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 21 5:33 PM
                                      Hi CS
                                      Not offended at all. I've been using Mach 3 for over 6 years now and know my way around a PC. I had both Mach  3 and Mach 4 working on the same PC. Mach 4 actually used much less memory and cpu load that Mach 3 ever did. I broke something trying to install Mach 4 and am trying to understand the how and why that's all. To expect the same preformance from a 10 year old PC compared to the super fast ones of today is crazy I know but I'm going to keep on trying until I get it.

                                      Eric
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 21 6:20 PM
                                        THANK YOU Gerry!

                                        Nothing worse then that!

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 21 6:22 PM
                                          Mach4 works fine on low cost NEW PC's that you can get at K Mart. PC't 10 years ago cost real money, now they cost less then filling up a big truck :(

                                          Just trying to bring perspective..

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 21 6:26 PM
                                            The biggest issue with Mach4 is the graphics.. it really needs/ wants to have a good (not great by today's standards) video card.

                                            Just what I have seen in my testing so far.. Also we can send you the static interface and that will lower the CPU loading as well..

                                            You know Eric if you would like you can change the update speed in the screen design mode to 100 and the updates will look like Mach3's

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 21 6:45 PM
                                              Hi Brian,
                                              I think the biggest issue that's driving Eric crazy is that he had M4 running well at one time with that hardware and cant get back to that.
                                              everything he is trying to do is to just get back where he was when it worked.
                                              I understand his frustration..... been there.

                                              Eric correct me if I am wrong.
                                              Chuck

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Aug 21 7:26 PM
                                                Hi Chuck
                                                That's all I'm trying to do is get everything back the way it was. If I have too I buy of build a new PC I will. Seems strange though that Mach 4 was working better than Mach 3 and using less resources than Mach 3 and now I can't get back to where I was. I'll try one more time then I'm done with this computer. I'll have to talk the wife into letting me buy a new one but that probably won't be pretty. Brian and Art thank you for all your help. I will use the current realeases of Mach 4 and Darwin when I install.

                                                Eric
                                              • beebear
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Aug 21 7:36 PM

                                                  I’m with you Eric….. I think I have that same ghost in my machine too!!!

                                                  I think I may have found one problem….. while I was trying to measure the broken coupler with my digital

                                                  Calipers, any time I got near the machine the display would go crazy.  I got my meter out  and sure enough

                                                  There was a small voltage difference between my mill frame and the power outlet ground. Then I checked in

                                                  The control box and no ground there either !!! It even gets worse as I dig deeper into the mechanical bowels

                                                  of the machine!! A Mechanical nightmare!! $1500 of Damn Chinese junk!!!!!  I have started to collect parts

                                                  to rebuild it to a stronger, working machine and have all the proper grounds connected!! Then I can get back to

                                                  setting up Mach 4 and hope that fixes all the motor squealing and grinding!!!

                                                  Stay Tuned…………..

                                                  John Frankforther

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Aug 22 4:22 AM

                                                    Eric:
                                                     I just posted last night a new version. It may be the Darwin I had ptu out with the fetch changes caused another error
                                                    that could have made the DIR bit too fast for the motors. You shouold download that before trying much else. I dont think
                                                    you need a new computer, if it worked before, it can work again..

                                                    www.gearotic.com