Resettting the X coordinate on the screen using a command

  • danmauch
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 13, 2014

      I have a need on  special project to reset the X coordinate display to zero without having the machine move after a program is run. I know that M30 rewinds the program but is there a OEM or other command that will reset an axis display to zero within a G code file?

       In other words is there a way to press the Z zero button using the G and M codes or an oem call?

      Dan

    • Edward Ford
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 13, 2014
        I believe you can use G92 for that

        'G92 X0' will set your X (no matter where it is physically positioned) to 0.

        Clicking "Z zero" is the equivalent of typing G92 Z0

        -Edward

        On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 2:47 PM, dmauch@... [mach1mach2cnc] <mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        I have a need on  special project to reset the X coordinate display to zero without having the machine move after a program is run. I know that M30 rewinds the program but is there a OEM or other command that will reset an axis display to zero within a G code file?

         In other words is there a way to press the Z zero button using the G and M codes or an oem call?

        Dan

      • Andy Wander
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 13, 2014

          I'm pretty sure the "AXIS ZERO" buttons don't use G92; they use G54-G59

          Andy Wander

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 13, 2014

            in a macro eg. m765.m1s

            setOEMdro(800,0)

            to set x to 0.

          • danmauch
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 13, 2014

              Thanks that did it.

              Surprised I did see that when I was checking the G codes.

              Dan

            • Edward Ford
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 13, 2014
                Hi Andy,

                Thanks. I had always (apparently mistakenly) thought that when I was clicking AXIS ZERO it was issuing a G92 command for that axis.

                This is a little OT, but I want to make sure I understand this correctly:

                G54 (-59) store work offsets. let say that my machine is at X0,Y0,Z0 machine coordinates. and I run a job, and at the end of it, my tool tip is at X5,Y5

                To make that current position = X0,Y0 would I issue a G54 command? If so, what's the syntax? Also, what's the benefit to setting that work offset? If you could give me an example use case (very basic) I would really appreciate it.

                You learn something new everyday!

                -Edward

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 13, 2014

                  G54 -G59 are today's preferred way of using offsets. I am not sure of the why of it, though certainly, having more than one offset available(and in memory) could be useful.

                  (and now that I think about it, i am not EXACTLY sure Mach's ZERO AXIS does use G54-G59-I'll go out to the shop and check in a few minutes)

                  Andy Wander