Mach4 Charge Pump

  • davesage12@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 11, 2014

      I know Brian said the charge pump was working for him but I haven't seen the AC signal yet from Mach4.

      I just loaded the latest demo and the latest Darwin and I can't get any signal from pin 17 of the PP.

        If I toggle the polarity of the configured signal in Darwin I can see it change level on a scope on pin 17 and If I toggle it in the Mach4 configuration Mach can change the level as well. So everything must be configured properly.

      But alas there is no AC charge pump signal on pin 17.

      I can see the AC signal clearly on pin 17 using MAch3 and it enables my PMDX BOB.

      Brian:

      Are you sure Mach4 is generating the AC signal in the demo versions?

      Has anyone got the charge pump working in Mach4 demo?

      Sage

    • art2
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 11, 2014

        Sage:

          Did you enter a frequency for that charge pump? It sounds as if its working fine, but you need to enter 12500 or whatever CP frequency you want into the freq box in Darwins output signal config. Mach simply toggles the signal, Darwin sends out the frequency, and you select what frequency your breakout baord needs..

        www.gearotic.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 11, 2014

          No I didn't. If you mentioned it in the video then I guess I missed that other than the point you made about you not using a charge pump.

            I know I saw the box but I thought that was were it was going to display the frequency of the charge pump signal when it was active and received it from Mach. (that's sort of what it says on the box).

          It might be nice to have a bit of a tutorial, document or diagram explaining the relationship between Mach and Darwin. Anyway....

            In any case the charged pump was the last signal so far unconfigured and everything else was working fine. Motors jogged etc...

          So I went into Darwin Config and entered 24,000 for the frequency because that's what I measured on my scope for what is coming out of Mach 3.

           I had to hit toggle for the frequency to be issued from Darwin. No problem except when I closed the output configuration window I heard a click and the charge pump relay dropped out and the frequency went away from pin 17 on the scope. Went back in to Darwin and toggled it the other way and it came back on. Left the config window again and it went off again.

           I thought perhaps Mach might be configured to have it disabled and so It was dropping out when Mach got hold of the signal so I went into Mach config.

           I went to outputs and only about 6 outputs were showing (instead of the usual long list). Same for inputs, only 6 showing instead of a long list. I had just left Mach perfectly configured and working - so WTF !!

          This losing the entire configuration in Mach is getting very very tiresome.

            I hard booted the computer and all the inputs and outputs came back in the lists but they were unconfigured. Back to the beginning again. :-(

           I figured I'd start with the charge pump this time. I went to Mach outputs and configured the output but in order to get the signal to show up I had to enable the active low check box. (??)

           Again as soon as I closed the Mach4 config screen the signal stopped. I went back to the Darwin output config and I could get the signal back by using toggle button. But it disappeared every time I closed the Darwin output config screen.

          I think maybe I'll just disappear for several months until you guys get all the bugs worked out and then I'll come back and give it a go. On the other hand I'm a glutten for punishment and I'll probably hit myself over the head a few more times with this.

          Any more ideas?

          Sage

        • davesage12@rogers.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 11, 2014

            Clarification:

            What I measured on the scope was ~80us charge pump signal period which is 12,500hz  (as you said). Oddly I had to set the freq for 24000 to achieve the 80us period. In any case it made no difference to the observations (signal drop out).

            Sage

          • art2
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 11, 2014

              Sage:

               The system is dropping config so much its hard to debug really.. Im getting much the same as you.

                A couepl things Im working in... the frequency numbers are doubled. IUn Darwin its actually a toggling variable,
              and a 24000 toggle is 12.5khz.. Ill have darwin fix that up.

                 M4 is having trouble at times turning on charge pumps, even here it sometimes takes two resets, m4 also doesnt display
              signals it sees on startup, ( you have to toggle a home to see it light up for example.. ). I will fix up the numbers shortly so
              you dont have to enter doubles of numbers to get proper stats..

              www.gearotic.com

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 11, 2014
                Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Mach4 Charge Pump
                I have a PMDX BoB configured to use the charge pump, entered a value above 10000 (dont recall exactly) and worked right away on pin 17, otherwise the motors won't move (and they moved lol)

                --
                Pablo E. Untroib
                -------

                PGP Key ID: : 0xFC7177AF
              • Dave Sage
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 12, 2014

                  I got the charge pump frequency once I entered it into Darwin . That was my mistake. My problem now is that it drops in and out. I drops out when I enter configuration (which I guess is expected) but a lot of the time it does not come back when I exit config. It usually takes a enable /disable to get it going again. It doesn't always come up when I start M4 either. It's good enough for now as long as the developers don't overlook the problem. I can move ahead in any case by setting a jumper on my BOB to eliminate it's requirement.

                  Sage