RE: [mach1mach2cnc] Mach 4 install - My observations

  • John Dammeyer
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2014

      Brian,

      Some of the problems people appear to be experience suggests that MACH4 is a 100% rewrite of MACH3.  Is that true?

      My understanding also  is that MACH4 will now support 6 Axis,  so milling with one of those cool gantry powered head that has 2 degrees of motion will be possible.

      Hence there is no code shared from the old to the new?

      John Dammeyer

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2014

        Hey John:

        Mach3 supports 6 axes

        Andy Wander

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2014
          Thanks Andy. Maybe I was thinking of MACH2 then. I just remember a
          conversation a long time ago where LinuxCNC could do more than MACH as far
          as the number of Axis and the gantry based arm held routers.
          I stand corrected.
          John Dammeyer

          Hey John:

          Mach3 supports 6 axes

          Andy Wander
          _____

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2014

            Hi Brian:

            >>> This was done because we wanted to get all the support issues. I
            don't expect you to understand this but it is what needed to be done.

            I'm sure I don't understand much about what you  have to do to get it out there. Now that you say it was to iron out the "support" issues I presume you mean the purchase mechanism etc. so that's fine.

            But as mentioned I didn't see the sense in downloading a DEMO that didn't do anything.

            I'm a hands on guy and need to get into the guts to get a feel for it. It's of no use to me to just look at a pretty screen. Maybe I shouldn't have jumped ahead and configured the parallel port. Maybe I missed something in the "Demo". You notice that all of my experiences were as a result of actually "using" it. I'm glad you found solutions to the issues.

            Anyway. They were not meant to be negative comments. It looks very good and quite promising.

            As mentioned I'm on board. I'll purchase a license today to support your efforts. And purchase a PP driver and SmoothStepper driver when they become available as well.

            Keep up the good work.

            Sage

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2014
              Yes it is 100% true.. Heck I was thinking about changing the name LOL

              There is less then 1% of the old code..

              No 5 axis comp at this time but it is something that we are going to add as soon as all the basic stuff is done

              On 8/5/2014 12:18 PM, 'John Dammeyer' johnd@... [mach1mach2cnc] wrote:

              Brian,

              Some of the problems people appear to be experience suggests that MACH4 is a 100% rewrite of MACH3.  Is that true?

              My understanding also  is that MACH4 will now support 6 Axis,  so milling with one of those cool gantry powered head that has 2 degrees of motion will be possible.

              Hence there is no code shared from the old to the new?

              John Dammeyer

              This buy is to give everyone the opportunity to get mach4 at a lower price.. This was done because we wanted to get all the support issues. I don't expect you to understand this but it is what needed to be done.

              The P Port is NOT part of Mach4.. it is just an other motion controller.. This is all new and Not Mach3.

              Some of your issues have been fixed in the version we are working on.. hope to have it out soon..

            • Hannu Venermo
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 6, 2014
                Cool !

                Please get lathe working first, with 2(multiple) toolposts and
                possibility of running 2 step/dir spindles.

                --
                -hanermo (cnc designs)