Updating Microsoft XP

  • fly_fisher_1953
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2014
      As you know microsoft updates for XP are no longer available for XP. Past present or future updates are sometimes found on various websites and are a pain in the butt to find and install. I think I've found a easier way to at least get service packs and past updates if you need or want them. All of them? not sure but many of them can be downloaded and installed.

       There is a program called Advanced System Care 7 from IOBit software that has a "Vulnerabilty Fix" option that will download and install many of the service packs and system fixes that you may be missing. Of course use at your own risk and don't ask me for help as to what to install and why you may or may not need it for Mach software. I do not know, just fould that it will install many of the missing files from an old XP installation when helping a friend build up a few PC with old copies of XP installation disks. A web search got IObit ASC 7 will get you the download links, install and run the Vulnerabilty Fix option from the main page

    • notoneleft
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2014
        All you really need is SP3. I think you can still download a full installer. As long as you stay off the internet, XP SP3 should run everything just fine with no other updates.

        Gerry

[...]

      • Lester Caine
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2014
          On 04/08/14 19:54, CNCWoodworker@... [mach1mach2cnc] wrote:
          > All you really need is SP3. I think you can still download a full
          > installer. As long as you stay off the internet, XP SP3 should run
          > everything just fine with no other updates.

          I've still got a stock of XP SP3 licences on the shelf, and this drives
          Mach3 without bothering with any updates. Fortunatly the install disk is
          a 32bit version ;)

          --
          Lester Caine - G8HFL
          -----------------------------
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2014
            That I didn't know since I'm no longer a XP user and moved on.No harm no foul right, maybe it will help other people up and running applications beyond the mach environment. If not Oh well
          • Stephen Brown
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4, 2014
              Hi Gerry,

              I did install SP3 but apparently there were other issues that wouldn’t allow Mach4 to launch. I have heard other things such as special graphic necessities and memory  that might be the culprit. Since I couldn’t connect to the internet to download drivers it was very clumsy to download to one computer and then try to move the files to the Dell I want to use for the CNC project. I am hopeful that the Geek Squad will be able to sort it out. I have satellite internet which means I don’t have unlimited download capability. I really don’t want to connect to the internet with this computer so once it is working I expect it will do the job well.

              Steve
            • notoneleft
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 5, 2014
                I think a lot of people are going to find out that all these 8-10 year old PC's that they're running Mach3 on may not run Mach4 very well.