It's there any one that can give me some advice with RPM Definition?

  • migueldeservantesysaavedra
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2014

      As mentioned before I'm trying to cut threads but even with nice IR RPM Counters like the one that CNC4PC sell, it still fluctuate!

      Any kind of advice of where to start?

    • Jeffrey Birt
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2014

        No motor is going to have a perfectly steady RPM. It very vary slightly and it is not a problem.

        Jeff Birt

        Soigeneris.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2014
          Well then can you give me some advice to make my threads better! I'm growing very weary! I need a good finish on my bolts! and even with the best blades "Carbide" I still have a very hard time! may be I'm not setting properly mach3

          It is there something else beside of what is basic? your help will be greatly appreciated..

          Miguel.
        • Steve Blackmore
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2014
            On 02 Aug 2014 21:01:03 -0700, you wrote:

            >Well then can you give me some advice to make my threads better! I'm growing very weary! I need a good finish on my bolts! and even with the best blades "Carbide" I still have a very hard time! may be I'm not setting properly mach3

            What KW motor, what material are you cutting, what spindle speed, what
            pitch, how many passes, any coolant?

            Is the thread pitch good and just the finish bad or both bad?

            Steve Blackmore
            --
          • migueldeservantesysaavedra
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3, 2014
              The motor that I'm using is a 3.5 HP DC motor @140 DC the motor is a Shinn Fu Corp. The controller is a Dart controller that is good for up to 4.5 HP. so I'm very confident that the power supply is well over the 1600 Watts. the Threading reduction is on the 5.3 to 1  and the spindle speed is 225 rpm's.

              The pitch that i'm using is a 60 degree and the material is mild steel, about 30 Rockwell hardened,
              the total of passes is about 40, with 3 spring finishing passes.

              thank you very much for what ever is the help that you can offer.

              Hope to hear from you soon.

              Miguel
            • o1bigtenor
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 3, 2014

                On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 8:50 AM, armaggedonturbo@... [mach1mach2cnc] <mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                The motor that I'm using is a 3.5 HP DC motor @140 DC the motor is a Shinn Fu Corp. The controller is a Dart controller that is good for up to 4.5 HP. so I'm very confident that the power supply is well over the 1600 Watts. the Threading reduction is on the 5.3 to 1  and the spindle speed is 225 rpm's.

                The pitch that i'm using is a 60 degree and the material is mild steel, about 30 Rockwell hardened,
                the total of passes is about 40, with 3 spring finishing passes.

                There still is some missing information.

                1. What is the diameter of the workpiece?
                2. You list it as mild steel, about 30 Rockwell hardened. - - - this description is very confusing for me. There (IIRC) about 6 different Rockwell hardness scales which on are you using. Mild steel (something like a 1018 - - - no such thing as a mild steel in a turning blank by the way) likely wouldn't measure 30 in a Rockwell B or C scale test.
                3. Pitch is how many threads per unit measure (US) or how many threads per mm (or mm per thread) for metric. Your form would be 60 degree (Witworth is the only standard that I know of that uses a 55 degree standard form).

                If you are able to supply this other information I would likely be able to help diagnose the problem.

                Dee

              • migueldeservantesysaavedra
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 3, 2014
                  The harden of the material is the same as the 1018, Basically I'm using the same material that the grade  8 bolts are made off! that by the way is very soft! "For a grade 8.

                  Diameter is 7/8 or .875, and the pitch is 14 threads per inch! at 60 degrees. if there is any other information  that I could possibly give you please don't hesitate to ask! Perhaps I may be able to remind you that the rpm ready that I have is C3 - Index Pulse Card

                  Thanks for your interest in helping me.

                  Miguel.

                • Steve Blackmore
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 4, 2014
                    On 03 Aug 2014 06:50:22 -0700, you wrote:

                    >The motor that I'm using is a 3.5 HP DC motor @140 DC the motor is a Shinn Fu Corp. The controller is a Dart controller that is good for up to 4.5 HP. so I'm very confident that the power supply is well over the 1600 Watts. the Threading reduction is on the 5.3 to 1 and the spindle speed is 225 rpm's.
                    >
                    > The pitch that i'm using is a 60 degree and the material is mild steel, about 30 Rockwell hardened,
                    > the total of passes is about 40, with 3 spring finishing passes.

                    What thread pitch ie 12x1.75mm?

                    Even so 40 passes is probably way too many - your tool will be
                    polishing not cutting.

                    For instance - a 12x1.75 - I'd do at 600 rpm and 10 passes at the most
                    with a 60 degree thread insert.

                    Steve Blackmore