Installing mach4 demo

  • Dclifton2
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 1 11:42 AM
      When I try installing the current mach4 hobby demo it installs but when I try to run it I get the application has failed to start because the application config is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem.

      Any idea, I'm running windows XP.
      Thanks
      Donald Clifton

      Sent from Don Clifton's IPad Air
    • art2
      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 1 5:22 PM
        Don:

        >> but when I try to run it I get the application has failed to start
        because the application config is incorrect

        This problem is almost always caused by not having the runtime files
        installed for vc. Download form microsoft a program called vcredist_x86.exe
        , it will fix the trouble normally. If you cant find that file, download and
        install Gearotics demo , it contains the runtime files in its download.

        www.gearotic.com

          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 1 10:48 PM
            Unfortunately neither fix worked on the computer I intend to use with my CNC router. It works Mach3 well so maybe I'll just stick to what works.
          • bennyattwell
            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 2 4:27 AM
              i have just uploaded the latest windows intaller upgrade for xp.
              it was downloaded direct from microsoft.
              this got me out of trouble with the latest vectric upgrades which were doing the same thing- saying they had loaded but wouldnt run.
              it checks if you have the latest xp installer and if not runs a small utility to upgrade your existing installer.- no internet required.
              run this and then try re installing - hopefully it will work for you,
              i had to do this on all my machine pcs that had been loaded from xp sp2 disk.
            • art2
              Message 6 of 29 , Aug 2 5:15 AM
                No.. The config error is almost always caused by not running the vc runtime installation files..

                www.gearotic.com

                Message 7 of 29 , Aug 2 9:43 PM
                  Hi Art and all,

                  Ok, I downloaded the vc files and they would not load. I also downloaded the Gearotic Demo and that would not start up giving the same dialog as Mach4. Today I downloaded service pac 3 and was able to download the VC files but Gearotic Demo or Mach4 still will not start. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Mach4 after rebooting the machine. I tried connecting to the internet but I have no driver for the network hardware so that is not an option to load drivers that may be missing via internet. Do these programs require java? I am trying to find out what is missing from my Windows XP that is causing the failure. When I got the computer the HD was wiped clean. They provided a Windows Pro restore disk which has the machine running and will run Mach3 but not Mach4 or Gearotic. Anyone have a clue where things might be needed.

                  Steve
                • jeremywillson
                  Message 8 of 29 , Aug 2 10:15 PM
                    Find out what PCI Vendor and Device Lists

                    To find the information that you need for this, go to Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/Network Adaptors .
                    Click on an adaptor there, then right click it for properties and then Details.
                    this will give you a description such as PCI_VEN - 1106 & Dev 3065
                    When the vendor Id (1106) is entered in the above web site it shows that that is the vendor number for Via Technologies While if thwe Device number is entered it returns two answers but only one of them shows the vendor as being 1106 so that is the one.
                    Click on the vendor and search the page for the device number. If you are lucky, it will show an address from which the drivers can be downloaded.
                  • gimble88
                    Message 9 of 29 , Aug 2 11:34 PM
                      Hi Art,

                      Thanks for the pointer. I too have that error message. My machine is running on XP sp2 and wasn't ever connected to the internet so no updates. DOH! I tried running the vcredist_x86.exe program and also updated netframe to 3.5 just in case.. Anything more I should try. I love my creaky old XP.

                      I have tried to update using MS update but that doesn't seem to work anymore OR my computer is soooo out of date it can't properly interface with MS update. I even updated Internet Explorer to see if that helped. No.

                      Thanks,
                      Spence
                    • c o
                      Message 10 of 29 , Aug 3 1:52 AM
                        For what it's worth; the pre-release version of "Mach4Hobby Installer-1914.exe" runs fine on my OLD AMD3200XP (SINGLE Core!!) PC no obvious hardware performance issues .. yet!
                        XP Pro/ 4Gb Ram installed 3Gb useable Ram / ATI Radeon HD 4600 series video card /Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro M.Board this is my old gaming rig.

                        Ok no motion control but I took up the Pre-Buy offer and I am prepared to wait for the release version - I will use my existing Warp9 ESS hardware when the driver is released.
                        Mach3 does a great job all the same!

                        Regards
                        Charles
                      • Jeffrey Birt
                        Message 11 of 29 , Aug 3 5:40 AM
                          Trying to get new software to install on an old PC is sort of like trying to install a modern 12V negative ground stereo system in an old 6V positive ground car. It can be done but likely is a lot more work than just converting over to a more modern electrical system in your car (i.e. converting over to a more modern operating system.)

                          I had Mach 3 running on a Bridgeport Discovery 308 retrofit I did 5-6 years ago with XP as the OS. As I just got the machine back in my possession again I wanted to set it up for Mach 4. The motherboard was not new by any stretch but I was able to upgrade it from a single to dual core processor (used processor) and upgrade the memory to 4GB and then install Windows 7. Now, there are no more issues with upgrades for many years to come and it was not really expensive to do. Since the motherboard is built into the machine it was easier to upgrade it than to try to fit a new one. If it were running a stand-alone PC it would have been easier and about the same price to just replace it with an inexpensive used PC.

                          Jeff Birt

                          Soigeneris.com

                          Message 12 of 29 , Aug 3 5:56 AM
                            Steve:

                               Hmm, thats a tough one. I havent had anyone on the Gearotic side that the vcredist files didnt fix when they got the config error.
                            Can you quote the error exactly, the redist usually is needed if the error says "Side by Side config incorrect.". Does youres say "Side by Side
                            config error" or some other config error.? Incorrect config without the side by side thing is typically a missing dll, question is "what dll?"

                               What I do in that situation is run a utility called FileMon.exe ( Google it..). You run it,m clear the screen, then run Mach4 or Gm.
                            freeze filemons logging when the error occurs and look in the log for files it tried to open and failed to. This often points to the missing
                            dll and tells alot about what gone missing. You may have an openGL missing file or something.. Update all video drivers just to be sure..

                            www.gearotic.com

                            Message 13 of 29 , Aug 3 7:40 AM

                              I have been using mach3 for over 8 years now and am wondering if I should upgrade to mach4.

                              Can someone explain the advantage of moving to mach4?

                              Thanks,

                              Troy (Florida)

                            • Hannu Venermo
                              Message 14 of 29 , Aug 3 7:57 AM
                                Well, from looking at it, without the csmio plugin, there are VAST functional improvements if these work.

                                BEST, multiple spindles !
                                Outstanding.

                                Multiple motors, with multiple slaves.
                                Very good if needing slaving.

                                Multiple homing, clearly and logically implemented with multiple spindles. GREAT STUFF !
                                In the past, all motion control plugins did it "their way". Usually different, illogical and or buggy in some cases.

                                CSS ! Hurray.
                                Threading ! Hurray ! Finally !

                                LUA may be a big improvement. I suspect so. VB was fine for me.
                                New screen designer may be a big improvement. I suspect so.

                                New screen system is great.

                                IO is VASTLY better implemented for 31 IOs at least.

                                Most of the above stuff is not needed for light wood routers, but is extremely important and often critical for commercial machines.
                                IT SEEMS TO BE OUTSTANDING.

                                I hope I get a plugin tomorrow from CSLABS..

                                The most important part is a flat, not-so-dependant architecture (to some extent at least).
                                In the past, lots of stuff depended on something else in weird and not-wonderful ways.

                                For hobby users, Mach3 will still work fine, always has, always will, especially for basic 3-axis mills and routers.
                                Everyone else will be really, really, really happy with the improvements, in my expectation.

                                I need to setup both my toolchangers on lathe asap, and see how they work with M4.

                                I also suspect I can finally get a proper live tooling and a subspindle setup going, if the multiple spindle stuff works.
                                IF this works, there will be some new demo videos up fairly soon..

                                Looking very good.

                                --
                                -hanermo (cnc designs)

                              • Chris
                                Message 15 of 29 , Aug 3 9:04 AM

                                  What is multiple spindle mean?.

                                  How thread is different now with lathe you mention?.

                                  Adding tool changer has nothing to do with Mach4 that is a lot of automation, tool table and other extra work the same as Mach3?

                                  What is better in tuning your motor now that we didn’t have?.

                                  It would 2 years of interesting useless dialogue here to see most of bugs are gone or not and how we have to tolerate all the posting will show up!

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Aug 3 10:27 AM
                                    Yeah, I was expecting a throw-it-all-away-and-buy-new response and I was pretty sure who was going to deliver it. :-)

                                    All the computer parts are built into a NEMA box with the motor drives, motion control and all I/O. Sealed against chips and other contaminants.  You know, the way machines are built to be used in an industrial environment.

                                    Anyway, I have been able to upgrade to service pack 3 and update my video card's driver. I have run vcredist and updated net framework.

                                    Mach 4 still won't install properly. The install ends with the install program just disappearing, there is no "Mach 4 has finished installing" message. When I try to run Mach 4 I get the "The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect" message.

                                    Still hoping for a solution other than throw it away.

                                    Thanks,

                                    Spence
                                  • Jeffrey Birt
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Aug 3 10:45 AM
                                      Well, you notice I gave both sides of the argument. In one case for me it was better to upgrade the existing motherboard and move on to Windows 7. I have a few other PCs that I have upgraded to Windows 7 the past few years. One of them was recycled to use as a Windows Home Server, the other was more than 10 years old so it was recycled.

                                      That sounds like where you are in the same place as I was with the Bridgeport. I have seen a lot guys start with an old XP systems and have all sorts of issues that were hard to figure out and fix and a fresh install of XP did the trick after years of installing/removing different things you can wind up with corrupted system files. (Sometimes though this is the result of getting a used PC that someone else has really screwed up.) If you have your original install media and a way to upgrade to SP3 then that might be your best bet. There are loads of other updates besides SP3 though, new versions of the Windows installer, new drivers, etc. So just doing SP3 may not be enough.

                                      What are the specs of your motherboard? You might be able to add some memory and faster processor and move on to Windows 7. That worked well for me and saved a lot of time trying to keep working with XP.

                                      I’m just offering suggestions based on what has worked for me and what my customers have been through and done. It is just free advice so do with it what you will.

                                      Jeff Birt

                                      Soigeneris.com

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Aug 3 11:06 AM
                                        >Chris microcnc_31@... wrote:
                                        >

                                        >It would 2 years of interesting useless dialogue here to see most of bugs
                                        >are gone or not and how we have to tolerate all the posting will show up!

                                        And yet, we still tolerate all of your rants and useless dialogue. I'm pretty sure the 'useless' dialoge will probably be an improvement over your drivel.

                                        --CS
                                      • art2
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Aug 3 12:51 PM

                                          It really sounds like corrupted runtimes, you may have to uninstall them before installing them again. Use your control panel "uninstall programs" and uninstallany programs listed under "Microsoft Visual C type names. " Then try the runtime installs again.

                                          www.gearotic.com

                                        • gimble88
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Aug 3 2:35 PM
                                            Thanks again Art,

                                            Per your suggestion, I nuked all Microsoft Visual C programs found and re-ran vcredist and still get the same error. I used the same mach 4 install file to get a successful install on another computer so I know my download is good.

                                            Spence

                                            PS Jeff, the smiley face was supposed to negate any suggestion of criticism for your suggestions. I would happily upgrade but dismantling a working machine with a huge backlog of projects to install a demo seems like very bad idea. By the way NOTHING has been installed (or removed) on this computer other than Mach 3 and the support programs for things like PoKeys. With no connection to the internet it was as clean as I could keep it.

                                            Spence
                                          • art2
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Aug 3 4:18 PM

                                              Spence:

                                               I have to think after all that your runtimes should be correct.  Cant think of anything else that should stop you...

                                              www.gearotic.com

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Aug 3 4:45 PM
                                                Thanks Art, I tried installing Gearotic demo as well with the same message. I guess I'll skip the Mach4 demo for now.

                                                Spence

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Aug 4 9:16 AM
                                                    Answers inline.
                                                    I am pretty sure that all the issues below either are or can be quickly fixed on Mach4.
                                                    On a clean, less cluttered program, they will be very much more straightforward.

                                                    At least CSS and threading work ! These were in Brians video.
                                                    I think the MC board was a hicon, maybe ?

                                                    On 03/08/2014 18:04, Chris microcnc_31@... [mach1mach2cnc] wrote:

                                                    What is multiple spindle mean?.

                                                    In a mill, like having two spindles.
                                                    Either to do duplicates, or one is a high speed one.

                                                    In a lathe, having a subspindle. This is for me.
                                                    Look up a Haas DS lathe, for videos on youtube.

                                                    I am making something similar to one, HaasDS20Y, with live tooling (servo on spindle).

                                                    How thread is different now with lathe you mention?.

                                                    Threading is mostly broken at the moment.
                                                    Ie is does not work.
                                                    Some configs work, sort of.
                                                    There are some bugs.

                                                    Adding tool changer has nothing to do with Mach4 that is a lot of automation, tool table and other extra work the same as Mach3?

                                                    No.
                                                    Rear toolposts are broken in lathe.
                                                    There are some other issues as well.

                                                    Iirc, running without tooltip compensation is the only way to get 2 toolposts to work.
                                                    This is a terrible situation.

                                                    What is better in tuning your motor now that we didn’t have?.

                                                    Motor tunings are done by the motion control board manufacturers.
                                                    The SS for example is broken (will show up on high count servos only).

                                                    Homing is also similar - every MC board manufacturer does them differently.

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Aug 4 9:19 AM
                                                      Brian ...
                                                      In mach4 can we run a servo spindle (lathe) directly as an axis, ie rotate and index at will ?
                                                      How does thia work ATM.

                                                      Or does it need to be set up both as an axis and a spindle and swap out or disable one axis at a time ?
                                                      Is swapaxis supported ?
                                                      Does it depend on the motion control board ?

                                                      Any idea if CSMIO supports Swapaxis on mach4 ?

                                                      --
                                                      -hanermo (cnc designs)

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Aug 4 2:41 PM
                                                          Hello,
                                                          You can run a step and direction spindle in Mach4 at this time. You can set the motor that is to be used as a spindle under Config Spindle.

                                                          To change what motor is on what axis can be done with Lua scripts. . Not much testing on that but it was designed to do it.

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Aug 11 10:24 AM
                                                            Well, stubbornness was rewarded. I just kept using MS update. Over and over and over.... finally after I nuked all the VCredist that was installed I installed gearotic motion and ran the vcredist from the gearotic folder and THAT allowed me to finally install mach 4. Thanks to all that helped.

                                                            Spence
                                                          • dlp_999
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Aug 11 10:38 AM
                                                              I had this same problem and had to install dotnetfx35setup.exe  but now it changed the pc id and my licence won't work. I'm running xp sp3.