Alibre now Geomatic

  • John Dammeyer
    Message 1 of 33 , Jul 28, 2014

      Just renewed my support license for Geomatic (Alibre).  Turns out I wasn’t renewing a ‘support’ license at all.  Turns out Alibre is now rented for the period of the ‘license’.  At the end of the rental period it stops working.  If you lose network connectivity, it stops working although there’s a 30 day window on that.

      I think it’s time that we as consumers started pressuring companies to correctly identify whether they are renting or selling software.  If the software stops after a set period of time it’s a rental.  The marketing speak that describes that as a limited time license is exactly that and it’s time we started complaining.

      John Dammeyer

      "ELS! Nothing else works as well for your Lathe"

      Automation Artisans Inc.

      http://www.autoartisans.com/ELS/

      Ph. 1 250 544 4950

    • Dave Halliday
      Message 33 of 33 , Jul 30, 2014
        Used to work for an Ocean Engineering company on the West coast - every
        couple days, one of the engineers would walk through asking people if they
        could close their instance of AutoCAD. License server was out of available
        licenses.

        They had enough but people got into the habit of leaving ACAD open on their
        desktops.

        Dave