Renewable secondary homing point

  • jeremywillson
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 9, 2014
      Is there built in to Mach a way to have a secondary homing point that can accessed at the press of a button?
      What I mean by this is:
      First I would home all axis to 0,0,0
      next, jog to where the work piece is and position over the start point
      next, press a button to mark where this new 0,0,0 position is relative to home
      so that from then on, all I need to do to get that position back again (in the event of lost steps or whatever) is to rehome the machine and then press the secondary home button to have the machine move to the previously positioned work start point.
    • Ger
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 9, 2014

        Switch to the G55 coordinate system (or G56, G57,...).
        Jog to the location you want to set as zero, and zero the axis. Then Save the offsets.

        As long as you are in G55, your 0,0,0 will be where you set it, relative to Home.

        Gerry

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 9, 2014
          And when you want to go back to your original origin, just go to M54 then enter. It should bring you back to where you started from.

          Terry Wellman
        • Terry Wellman
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 9, 2014
            DOH! That should be G54 NOT M54. Sorry to lead you astray. Too many parts on the mills right now.

            Terry

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 9, 2014
              Thanks gerry and Terry
              I'll give it a go.
            • quadconversions
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 10, 2014

                Yes, it's the GO TO ZERO button.  In the event of lost steps, press the REF ALL HOME button to re-zero machine co-ordinates.  Then press the GO TO ZERO button and the machine will fly to your stock origin. Warning! Jog to the rough area first because this move disregards your tool path and may try to move through your stock.

                This is the beauty of home/limit switches and being able to easily/ accurately re-set your machine co-ordinates after lost steps with a Ref All Home.

                When you’ve pressed the Go To Zero button you go to where the machine thinks your stock origin is (your work offset) and if you’ve lost steps it will be out by the lost steps… so this is handy to show which axis has lost the steps.

                  Lost steps?  You’re going to manually jog to correct those lost steps, but Go To Zero will do some of the work for you.

                You've set that stock origin by jogging to your origin and Zeroing all the axis with the buttons next to the DROs.

                Dave K

                In a message dated 10/04/2014 02:46:59 GMT Daylight Time, jeremywillson@... writes:

                Is there built in to Mach a way to have a secondary homing point that can accessed at the press of a button?
                What I mean by this is:
                First I would home all axis to 0,0,0
                next, jog to where the work piece is and position over the start point
                next, press a button to mark where this new 0,0,0 position is relative to home
                so that from then on, all I need to do to get that position back again (in the event of lost steps or whatever) is to rehome the machine and then press the secondary home button to have the machine move to the previously positioned work start point.
              • Stephen Muscato

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 10, 2014
                    Hi Steve

                    I don't understand, how can Mach check for lost steps when it doesn't know that it has lost them?
                  • chuck
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 11, 2014
                      that's what homing takes care of it doesn't care about missed steps to goes as far as needed to hit the switches than your work offset is calculated from there which is a fixed point.
                      your offsets will always be the same position from home.
                      Chuck

                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 11, 2014
                        oops ...typo  should say:  it goes as far as needed.
                        that's what homing takes care of it doesn't care about missed steps to goes as far as needed to hit the switches than your work offset is calculated from there which is a fixed point.
                        your offsets will always be the same position from home.
                        Chuck
                        I don't understand, how can Mach check for lost steps when it doesn't know that it has lost them?

                      • notoneleft
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 11, 2014
                          I believe that "Verify" re-homes the machine, and compares the new home position to the previous one.

                          Gerry

                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 11, 2014
                            Correct, it homes the machine and calculates the error from where it was to the home position.

                            BTW, MY first successful 3d print last night!

                            Steve

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 11, 2014
                              I am having trouble cutting flat aluminum. .053 thick. Im buying the correct blades and the best they sell but the bit clogs very quickly and tears up the metal. I used this same system many time with no trouble but need help. Im ok but not great with this machine, looking for help.These are simple cuts just sign letter backs.

                              Mike

                              MER Signs 1700 North Belt East Belleville, IL 62221 P: (618) 234-4450 F: (618) 234-4419

                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 11, 2014
                                How many flutes do your correct blades have?

                                Dave

                                In a message dated 11/04/2014 14:38:09 GMT Daylight Time, mersigns@... writes:

                                I am having trouble cutting flat aluminum. .053 thick. Im buying the correct blades and the best they sell but the bit clogs very quickly and tears up the metal. I used this same system many time with no trouble but need help. Im ok but not great with this machine, looking for help.These are simple cuts just sign letter backs.

                                Mike

                                MER Signs 1700 North Belt East Belleville, IL 62221 P: (618) 234-4450 F: (618) 234-4419

                                I don't understand, how can Mach check for lost steps when it doesn't know that it has lost them?

                              • Michael Rosciglione
                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 11, 2014
                                  two i just checked

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 11, 2014
                                    Pick up a single flute the next time your shopping. Does your 2 flute have a good steep helix (cutting angle)?

                                    It might be your spindle speed is too high or your feed too slow. Are you using coolant?

                                    Dave

                                    two i just checked

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 11, 2014
                                        No coolant

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 11, 2014
                                          Some form of lubricant will help chips fly off your tool. Anything you've got to hand is worth a try.

                                          No coolant

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Apr 11, 2014
                                            thanks

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Apr 11, 2014
                                              I use a light spray of metylated spirits in a spray bottle. The bottle has to have a blue sprayer as otherwise the seal in the very soon fails.