RE: Repeat Sub-programme

  • vmax549
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2013

      I am not sure of the book reference BUT a  sub can be repeated a variaty of ways. The easiest being you create the sub in inc mode. That way it is not really tied to a point of origin in abs mode. You can move the entire block to ANY starting point and it will repeat the sub block precisely stating for the first point in the sub. Also the point of origin of the main program stays in the same place

      Another way is to create the sub block in abs mode and offset the point of origin around the table using  either G52 G92 or one of  the fixture offsets(g54 g55 g56. This physically moves the sub block around on the table and the point of origin of the main programs changes with it.

      It would be VERY easy to create a hundreds of  holes with just a few lines of code. The beauty of Subs once you get your brain wired for them.

      Does that help, If not I will give a different example

      (;-) TP

      ---In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, <mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      On Smid (second Ed) page 374 I could repeat a sub-programme, from a series of different determined starting points. I can get it to repeat, but only over same track.  Does anyone have any tips?

      If this message is misplaced, I am having trouble getting New Topic.

    • Jeffrey Birt
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3, 2013
        >It would be VERY easy to create a hundreds of holes with just a few lines of code.

        And what happens when your plasma torch blows a tip 150 holes into a program that cuts hundreds of holes? Your screwed as you have to start the program from scratch as you can do a ‘run from here’ and start ‘n’ loops through a sub routine. Yes, you can make very compact code, and yes you can also shoot yourself in the foot by doing so.

        Jeff Birt

        Soigeneris.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2013

          HIYA JEFF WE were NOT talking plasma here (;-) no holes in my foot.   IF you had looked at the reference to the BOOK you would have seen it referenced drilling holes in a pattern then repeating that pattern in different locations.

          A good plasma OP would never use SUBs in his code for the very reason you described. He would also never start a large idifficult segment of the plasma OP with an OLD set of consumables. He would check the pierce counter and see HOW old the consumables were and make a choice based on history of the machines consumable change outs. And yes that is NOT a standard Mach3 feature it had to be added on(;-)

          Just a thought, (;-) TP

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 4, 2013

            A good operator would check consumable life but not all of them are good operators, I can recall it taking many months of effort to convince some guys to track consumable usage, they were always much happier after they started doing so J Other things can happen, a part can tip up and much the tip or cause enough blow back to clog it, etc.

            The problem with subs is not unique to plasma table though, the problem is that you can’t start on the Nth iteration through a subroutine so you can’t start a program from a given point (whether you need to change plasma consumables or a broken end mill.) Using subs and the like is very handy but you also have to keep in mind the drawbacks of doing so, that is the point I was trying to make.

            Jeff Birt

            Soigeneris.com

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 4, 2013

              Actually I just tested it BUT I CAN stop and change a tip and restart inside a sub. Not a pretty thing to do but possible and NO I would not recommend it . Most time IF you blow out a tip you have already RUINED the artsy part you are working on.

              Subs are not for everyone and your machine MUST be trust worthy and the processes proven.

              Just a thought, (;-) TP

              ---In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, <mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              A good operator would check consumable life but not all of them are good operators, I can recall it taking many months of effort to convince some guys to track consumable usage, they were always much happier after they started doing so J Other things can happen, a part can tip up and much the tip or cause enough blow back to clog it, etc.

              The problem with subs is not unique to plasma table though, the problem is that you can’t start on the Nth iteration through a subroutine so you can’t start a program from a given point (whether you need to change plasma consumables or a broken end mill.) Using subs and the like is very handy but you also have to keep in mind the drawbacks of doing so, that is the point I was trying to make.

              Jeff Birt

              Soigeneris.com

              HIYA JEFF WE were NOT talking plasma here (;-) no holes in my foot.   IF you had looked at the reference to the BOOK you would have seen it referenced drilling holes in a pattern then repeating that pattern in different locations.

              A good plasma OP would never use SUBs in his code for the very reason you described. He would also never start a large idifficult segment of the plasma OP with an OLD set of consumables. He would check the pierce counter and see HOW old the consumables were and make a choice based on history of the machines consumable change outs. And yes that is NOT a standard Mach3 feature it had to be added on(;-)

              Just a thought, (;-) TP

              ---In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, <mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              >It would be VERY easy to create a hundreds of holes with just a few lines of code.

              And what happens when your plasma torch blows a tip 150 holes into a program that cuts hundreds of holes? Your screwed as you have to start the program from scratch as you can do a ‘run from here’ and start ‘n’ loops through a sub routine. Yes, you can make very compact code, and yes you can also shoot yourself in the foot by doing so.

              Jeff Birt

              Soigeneris.com

            • Steve Blackmore
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 5, 2013
                On 04 Oct 2013 08:59:51 -0700, you wrote:

                >Subs are not for everyone and your machine MUST be trust worthy and the processes proven.

                Subs are fine if you are handwriting code and/or want to be a smart arse
                and show how clever you are :)

                I don't know of any large commercial shop these days that use them.

                Reasons -

                You can't easily pause and resume reliably.
                The ops don't understand them (often badly written/documented).
                Hard to debug or edit on the fly if they do go wrong.
                There is no longer any real limit on the number of lines in a program so
                no point. (They all use CAM produced code anyway).

                Steve Blackmore
                --
              • vmax549
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 8, 2013

                  I know MANY shops still thriving with subs doing FAMILIES of programming making 100s of thousands of parts every year the easy way.

                  LIKE I said only IF you can TRUST your machine  and your processes are proven.

                  Your mileage may vary.