RE: RE: RE: [mach1mach2cnc] RE: Goto HOME

  • vmax549
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 5, 2013

      Hiya John, Seeing as you do not machine form the Machine coords base and it is Mach3 internal reference there is little to no NEED to do as you ask . If you use G53  or leave the G30 with no offset and you call g30 in a program you WILL go to Machine Home so it is NOT that you can't get there but there is little to no need to do so.

      The other coord bases are used everyday as they are the Base of all your machining operations. AND the most popular function when doing so is?  GoTo Zero or User home. So that is why the function button is on the main page.

      AND you can add a NEW button or change your OLD button to do whatever it is you want. If you need help just ask.

      Just a thought, (;-)TP

      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, <mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I was busy installing (or trying to)  limit and home switches and in the process relearning about fixture home and machine home.  That’s when I ran into what I perceive as odd behaviour.  If the DRO is showing machine co-ordinates then a goto home should take me to the machine home.  Then if it’s showing a specific fixture co-ordinates then a goto home should take me to the 0,0,0 of that set.

      Whether I ever machine from machine co-ordinates isn’t the issue.  I believe the goto home or Zeros should move within the current ‘active’ system.

      That it doesn’t do that isn’t a big deal, obviously there is a work-around.

      John

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 5, 2013

        I’m puzzled then.  What’s the point of even having the DRO be able to show the machine co-ordinates?  After all, if you don’t have a home switch you can’t set them from the keyboard the way you can set other DROs.

        If you power up the machine and touch off the X,Y against a reference and the Z using the tool tip and a sensing plate the machine co-ordinates are rather pointless aren’t they?

        John

        Hiya John, Seeing as you do not machine form the Machine coords base and it is Mach3 internal reference there is little to no NEED to do as you ask . If you use G53  or leave the G30 with no offset and you call g30 in a program you WILL go to Machine Home so it is NOT that you can't get there but there is little to no need to do so.

        Just a thought, (;-)TP

      • Jeffrey Birt
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 5, 2013
          You’re missing the whole ‘point’ of what machine coordinates represent. On a mill Machine (0, 0, 0) is typically when the Z axis is all the way up with the bit above the lower left hand corner of the mill. If you were standing above the machine this would look just like Cartesian coordinates (keeping mind you always judge machine movement as though the bit were moving, no matter what part of the machine actually moves.) This (0, 0, 0) position is typically the home position. When you ‘Home’ the machine (either manually or when you have home sensors) you are letting the machine know where each axis is physically at.

          Machine coordinates keep track where each axis of the machine is actually at. Why? Several reasons: 1) By knowing where the ‘zero’ position of each axis is and how much travel is possible along that axis Mach can keep you from over traveling via soft limits, 2) If you have a tool changer or something similar you will have to move each axis of the machine to a known location IN MACHINE COORDINATES in order to use it.

          When you set a piece of stock down on the mill table and you indicate to it (touch off on two sides to locate the stock) and you ‘zero’ the Local coordinates you are telling Mach3 where the stock is. Since the Machine coordinates track where each axis is at along its travel it would make no sense to be able to alter it by any other means then homing. If you don’t have home sensors you can jog each axis to its home position and when you press ‘Home’ Mach will just zero the machine coordinate for you (it ‘simulates’ home sensors being hit.)

          Jeff Birt

          Soigeneris.com

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 5, 2013

            If you don;t have home switches, and you home an axis, it will not move teh axis, but will set the machine coordinate of that axis to 0.

            Andy Wander