Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re: DRO reading

  • Lester Caine
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
      art2 wrote:
      >>> My question is, Is there a way to clear the machine
      > coordinates DRO?
      >
      > Only by homing ...

      Silly question ...
      I've never had homing switches, and always simply zeroed the DRO's to set a new
      'home' position. All the machines I've supplied work the same way, and we
      simplified the screen layout so that the key tab 1, 2 and 3 functions are on a
      single page ... load, zero, run ... what am I missing?

      --
      Lester Caine - G8HFL
      -----------------------------
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
        >>I've never had homing switches, and always simply zeroed the DRO's to set a new
        'home' position.

        If a system has no homing switches turned on, then Mach will zero the machine coords when home is pressed or called for
        without moving at all from its current position.

        www.gearotic.com

        >>> My question is, Is there a way to clear the machine
        > coordinates DRO?
        >
        > Only by homing ...

        Silly question ...
        I've never had homing switches, and always simply zeroed the DRO's to set a new
        'home' position. All the machines I've supplied work the same way, and we
        simplified the screen layout so that the key tab 1, 2 and 3 functions are on a
        single page ... load, zero, run ... what am I missing?

        --
        Lester Caine - G8HFL
        -----------------------------
        EnquirySolve - http://enquirysolve.com/

      • Jeffrey Birt
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
          You're missing the difference between 'machine' coordinates and 'local'
          coordinates. Let's say you have a 4'x8' workbench. You have a board that is
          1'x2' that you want to drill a hole in the middle of. So, you pick up the
          board, place it on your workbench, use a tape measure to locate the hole's
          position from the edge of the board and proceeded to drill the hole. This is
          perfectly natural to us as we instinctively understand where the workbench
          is, where we placed the board on the bench and that we need to measure from
          the edges of the board to locate the hole, we would not measure from the
          edges of the bench.

          Machine coordinates describe a location on your bench, local coordinates
          describe a location on your piece of wood. You can move your piece of wood
          anywhere on the bench and your local coordinates on the piece of wood
          remain the same.

          Now picture you have a 4'x8' router table instead. Machines are stupid and
          can't 'see' the ends of their travel like you and I can. So you might want
          to tell the controller that the machine travel is limited to the 4'x8' area.
          That area the machine can move in is described in machine coordinates, i.e.
          it can start at the front left corner which is (0',0') and travel to the
          back right corner which is (8',4'). What if you wanted your spindle to raise
          all the way up after a job was completed? When you put the board on the
          router you set Z=0 to the top of the board right? Yes, but that was the
          'local' coordinate system of the board. If you tell the Z axis to go to 0.00
          in local coordinates it will take the bit to the top of the board, if you
          tell it to go to Z=0.00 in machine coordinates it will raise the spindle all
          the way up.

          While these different coordinate system seem confusing and even unnecessary
          at first it is important to note that we instinctively use them all the
          time. If I asked you to set the board on the router table 6" in from the
          left hand side and 6" up from the bottom edge that would make perfect sense
          (machine coordinates). If I then asked you to make a spot 6" from the top of
          the board and 6" from the right hand side of the board that would make
          perfect sense as well (local coordinates.)

          Hope that helps,

          Jeff Birt

          Soigeneris.com

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
            Jeffrey Birt wrote:
            > Machine coordinates describe a location on your bench, local coordinates
            > describe a location on your piece of wood. You can move your piece of wood
            > anywhere on the bench and your local coordinates on the piece of wood
            > remain the same.

            I think Art covered it better ... I'm never seeing 'Machine coordinates', just
            automatically seeing 'local coordinates'.
            The reason for the question was simply because I've never seen any difference
            between the two ... the way I use Mach3 ... the limit stuff never cuts in so one
            just hits the end stops, or the lead screw comes out of the nut ;)

            --
            Lester Caine - G8HFL
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 21, 2013
              Never did wire in the limit switches, which for me, would be used to
              prevent damage if my setup had enough power to do damage
              (like 100 ipm rapids in a servo system). Glad to hear that others feel
              the same way! /mark