RE: [mach1mach2cnc] DRO reading

  • Jeffrey Birt
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 18, 2013
      If you are in absolute mode entering "G1 X1" tells Mach3 to move the X axis
      to the position where X=1". If you were at X=9 or X=-7 then the machine
      would have to move the X axis 8 inches to get to X=1. If you are in
      incremental mode and enter "G1 X1" you will move 1" in the positive
      direction from where you are now. Think of it like standing in line, you can
      move to the front of the line or back of the line (these are absolute mode)
      or you can move up or back one position (incremental mode).

      Jeff Birt

      Soigeneris.com

      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
        Thank you!! I know this is going to sound like I haven't read the manual but I have spent many hours. I am finding very hard to get the basic concepts. My question is, Is there a way to clear the machine coordinates DRO? art

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
          Well, you can't "clear" it, as in make it so there is no value in it.

          But you can zero it, or set it to any coordinate you like, by homing that
          axis.

          Andy Wander

          _____

          Thank you!! I know this is going to sound like I haven't read the manual but
          I have spent many hours. I am finding very hard to get the basic concepts.
          My question is, Is there a way to clear the machine coordinates DRO? art

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
          > I enter G1 X1 into the midi and my X axis moves exactly 8". Can anyone
          tell me why the DRO reads 1". Thank you Art

          > Because your steps per inch is set wrong ;)
          > Go to motor tuning and check what you have set

        • jeremywillson
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
            Or by just clicking on the 'Zero X', 'Zero Y', 'Zero Z', 'Zero 4'
            buttons to zero the DROs at the current positions
            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Wander" wrote:

            > Well, you can't "clear" it, as in make it so there is no value in it.
            >

            > But you can zero it, or set it to any coordinate you like, by homing
            that
            > axis.
            >

            > Andy Wander
            >
            > _____

          • Ger
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
              Zeroing the axes does nothing to the machine coordinates. You need to home
              to reset them.

              Gerry

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
                That will not zero the Machine Coordinates DROs.

                Andy Wander

                _____

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
                  Well while it doesn't actually clear the DRO, it does zero it, which is
                  what I think he was asking about.

                  Quote: > > My question is, Is there a way to clear the machine
                  coordinates DRO?
                  > art

                  --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Wander" wrote:

                  > That will not zero the Machine Coordinates DROs.
                  >

                  > Andy Wander
                  >
                  > _____

                • jeremywillson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
                    Actually, on rereading it all, I believe you are correct.

                    --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "jeremywillson" wrote:

                    > Well while it doesn't actually clear the DRO, it does zero it, which
                    is
                    > what I think he was asking about.
                    >
                    > Quote: > > My question is, Is there a way to clear the machine
                    > coordinates DRO?
                    > > art
                    >

                    > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Wander" wrote:
                    > >
                    > > That will not zero the Machine Coordinates DROs.
                    > >

                    > > Andy Wander
                    > >
                    > > _____

                  • art2
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
                      >> My question is, Is there a way to clear the machine
                      coordinates DRO?

                      Only by homing ...

                      www.gearotic.com

                      Well while it doesn't actually clear the DRO, it does zero it, which is
                      what I think he was asking about.

                      Quote: > > My question is, Is there a way to clear the machine
                      coordinates DRO?
                      > art

                      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Wander" wrote:

                      > That will not zero the Machine Coordinates DROs.
                      >

                      > Andy Wander
                      >
                      > _____

                    • Terry Parker
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
                        The 3 ways I am aware of are

                        1. With home switches RefHome G28.1 to the home switchs and locations
                        2. Without home switches RefHome to the current location
                        3. With either, Button code with SetMachZero()

                        (;-) TP

                        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, art2 <fenerty@...> wrote:

                        > >> My question is, Is there a way to clear the machine
                        > coordinates DRO?
                        >
                        > Only by homing ...

                        > www.gearotic.com

                      • Lester Caine
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                          art2 wrote:
                          >>> My question is, Is there a way to clear the machine
                          > coordinates DRO?
                          >
                          > Only by homing ...

                          Silly question ...
                          I've never had homing switches, and always simply zeroed the DRO's to set a new
                          'home' position. All the machines I've supplied work the same way, and we
                          simplified the screen layout so that the key tab 1, 2 and 3 functions are on a
                          single page ... load, zero, run ... what am I missing?

                          --
                          Lester Caine - G8HFL
                          -----------------------------
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                            >>I've never had homing switches, and always simply zeroed the DRO's to set a new
                            'home' position.

                            If a system has no homing switches turned on, then Mach will zero the machine coords when home is pressed or called for
                            without moving at all from its current position.

                            www.gearotic.com

                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                              You're missing the difference between 'machine' coordinates and 'local'
                              coordinates. Let's say you have a 4'x8' workbench. You have a board that is
                              1'x2' that you want to drill a hole in the middle of. So, you pick up the
                              board, place it on your workbench, use a tape measure to locate the hole's
                              position from the edge of the board and proceeded to drill the hole. This is
                              perfectly natural to us as we instinctively understand where the workbench
                              is, where we placed the board on the bench and that we need to measure from
                              the edges of the board to locate the hole, we would not measure from the
                              edges of the bench.

                              Machine coordinates describe a location on your bench, local coordinates
                              describe a location on your piece of wood. You can move your piece of wood
                              anywhere on the bench and your local coordinates on the piece of wood
                              remain the same.

                              Now picture you have a 4'x8' router table instead. Machines are stupid and
                              can't 'see' the ends of their travel like you and I can. So you might want
                              to tell the controller that the machine travel is limited to the 4'x8' area.
                              That area the machine can move in is described in machine coordinates, i.e.
                              it can start at the front left corner which is (0',0') and travel to the
                              back right corner which is (8',4'). What if you wanted your spindle to raise
                              all the way up after a job was completed? When you put the board on the
                              router you set Z=0 to the top of the board right? Yes, but that was the
                              'local' coordinate system of the board. If you tell the Z axis to go to 0.00
                              in local coordinates it will take the bit to the top of the board, if you
                              tell it to go to Z=0.00 in machine coordinates it will raise the spindle all
                              the way up.

                              While these different coordinate system seem confusing and even unnecessary
                              at first it is important to note that we instinctively use them all the
                              time. If I asked you to set the board on the router table 6" in from the
                              left hand side and 6" up from the bottom edge that would make perfect sense
                              (machine coordinates). If I then asked you to make a spot 6" from the top of
                              the board and 6" from the right hand side of the board that would make
                              perfect sense as well (local coordinates.)

                              Hope that helps,

                              Jeff Birt

                              Soigeneris.com

                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                                Jeffrey Birt wrote:
                                > Machine coordinates describe a location on your bench, local coordinates
                                > describe a location on your piece of wood. You can move your piece of wood
                                > anywhere on the bench and your local coordinates on the piece of wood
                                > remain the same.

                                I think Art covered it better ... I'm never seeing 'Machine coordinates', just
                                automatically seeing 'local coordinates'.
                                The reason for the question was simply because I've never seen any difference
                                between the two ... the way I use Mach3 ... the limit stuff never cuts in so one
                                just hits the end stops, or the lead screw comes out of the nut ;)

                                --
                                Lester Caine - G8HFL
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 21, 2013
                                  Never did wire in the limit switches, which for me, would be used to
                                  prevent damage if my setup had enough power to do damage
                                  (like 100 ipm rapids in a servo system). Glad to hear that others feel
                                  the same way! /mark