Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re:noise problem. Update

  • Dclifton2
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 26, 2013
      I have had the same problem same wire (Igus). I normally have all my grounds coming back to the same point (star). I can't ground my motor cable shields or I get a fault. I do have them terminated together but if I tie in the spindle shield I get the fault. I'm currently just shielding my spindle and not having a problem.
      Don

      Sent from Don Clifton's IPad

      On Jul 25, 2013, at 7:18 PM, qconvers@... wrote:

      > I'm still working on my noise problem. I'm getting there.
      >
      > If a gantry is only connected to the rest of the machine by the linear rail
      > blocks and you wanted to make a good earth between the two, how would you
      > do it without creating a ground loop?
      >
      > My stepper cables have an earth wire I've not used. Attach one end under a
      > stepper screw and the other at the star point in the control box... or run
      > a wire between gantry and table?
      >
      > Regards Dave

    • Andy Wander
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 26, 2013
        Just to clarify-the "earth wire" to your steppers-is it in fact a shield
        drain wire, or simply an unused conductor in the cable?

        If it's shied drain wire, then yes, it should be hooked up, at one end
        only, and the floating shield "may" have something to do with your problems.

        If it is just another conductor, then i doubt hooking it up will have any
        effect.

        Andy Wander

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 26, 2013
          Hi Andy,

          it's a yellow/green wire within the shield with the other wires. My
          shields have always been grounded at one end in the control box.

          Regards Dave

          ohawiseguyeh@... writes:

          Just to clarify-the "earth wire" to your steppers-is it in fact a shield
          drain wire, or simply an unused conductor in the cable?

          If it's shied drain wire, then yes, it should be hooked up, at one end
          only, and the floating shield "may" have something to do with your
          problems.

          If it is just another conductor, then i doubt hooking it up will have any
          effect.

          Andy Wander

          _____

          So the rule is always back to the same point in the box.

          Is it known for stepper motors to suddenly become noisy?

          Regards Dave

          cd.edwards@... <mailto:cd.edwards%40sasktel.net> writes:

          only attach one end of the shield. you would be better off attaching at
          the control box end though. Run a wire from the control box up and through
          your gantry for your gantry ground. Don't rely on bearings to make your
          ground connections that would include linear guides etc.

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , qconvers@... wrote:

          > I'm still working on my noise problem. I'm getting there.
          >
          > If a gantry is only connected to the rest of the machine by the linear
          rail
          > blocks and you wanted to make a good earth between the two, how would
          you
          > do it without creating a ground loop?
          >
          > My stepper cables have an earth wire I've not used. Attach one end under
          > stepper screw and the other at the star point in the control box... or
          run
          > a wire between gantry and table?
          >
          > Regards Dave

        • Andy Wander
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 26, 2013
            Well, it may be worth a shot to connect those wires to your star ground at
            one end, and to the motors frames at the other. Simple enough to do. I'd
            them one at a time, and see what happens.

            I agree with the other poster that if it was working well, and then stopped
            working, as you describe, I'd be searching for a change, intentional or
            otherwise.

            Andy Wander

            _____

            From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
            So the rule is always back to the same point in the box.

            Is it known for stepper motors to suddenly become noisy?

            Regards Dave

            cd.edwards@... <mailto:cd.edwards%40sasktel.net>
            <mailto:cd.edwards%40sasktel.net> writes:

            only attach one end of the shield. you would be better off attaching at
            the control box end though. Run a wire from the control box up and through
            your gantry for your gantry ground. Don't rely on bearings to make your
            ground connections that would include linear guides etc.

            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
            <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , qconvers@... wrote:

            > I'm still working on my noise problem. I'm getting there.
            >
            > If a gantry is only connected to the rest of the machine by the linear
            rail
            > blocks and you wanted to make a good earth between the two, how would
            you
            > do it without creating a ground loop?
            >
            > My stepper cables have an earth wire I've not used. Attach one end under
            > stepper screw and the other at the star point in the control box... or
            run
            > a wire between gantry and table?
            >
            > Regards Dave

          • quadconversions
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 26, 2013
              Hi Chuck,

              Yes, I took advice from this forum years ago and spared no expense in
              wires to do the job right. It's run good ever since.. until now.

              chuckels@... writes:

              Dave,
              I seriously doubt that unless you made some major changes to the layout of
              configuration of your system that you developed a noise problem out of the
              blue.
              I would be more prone to look at wiring issues specifically broken or
              pinched.
              I know the electronic wizards on here are experts on noise and ground
              loops but you say your machine was running perfectly for a long time.
              Chuck

              --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, qconvers@... wrote:

              > I'm still working on my noise problem. I'm getting there.
              >
              > If a gantry is only connected to the rest of the machine by the linear
              rail
              > blocks and you wanted to make a good earth between the two, how would
              you
              > do it without creating a ground loop?
              >
              > My stepper cables have an earth wire I've not used. Attach one end under
              > stepper screw and the other at the star point in the control box... or
              run
              > a wire between gantry and table?
              >
              > Regards Dave

            • chuck

                cd.edwards@... writes:

                only attach one end of the shield. you would be better off attaching at
                the control box end though. Run a wire from the control box up and through to