Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re:noise problem. Update

  • quadconversions
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 25, 2013
      I'm still working on my noise problem. I'm getting there.

      If a gantry is only connected to the rest of the machine by the linear rail
      blocks and you wanted to make a good earth between the two, how would you
      do it without creating a ground loop?

      My stepper cables have an earth wire I've not used. Attach one end under a
      stepper screw and the other at the star point in the control box... or run
      a wire between gantry and table?

      Regards Dave

    • cd_edwards2002
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 26, 2013
        only attach one end of the shield. you would be better off attaching at the control box end though. Run a wire from the control box up and through to your gantry for your gantry ground. Don't rely on bearings to make your ground connections that would include linear guides etc.

        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, qconvers@... wrote:

        > I'm still working on my noise problem. I'm getting there.
        >
        > If a gantry is only connected to the rest of the machine by the linear rail
        > blocks and you wanted to make a good earth between the two, how would you
        > do it without creating a ground loop?
        >
        > My stepper cables have an earth wire I've not used. Attach one end under a
        > stepper screw and the other at the star point in the control box... or run
        > a wire between gantry and table?
        >
        > Regards Dave

      • quadconversions
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 26, 2013
          Thanks,

          So the rule is always back to the same point in the box.

          Is it known for stepper motors to suddenly become noisy?

          Regards Dave

          cd.edwards@... writes:

          only attach one end of the shield. you would be better off attaching at
          the control box end though. Run a wire from the control box up and through to
          your gantry for your gantry ground. Don't rely on bearings to make your
          ground connections that would include linear guides etc.

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, qconvers@... wrote:

          > I'm still working on my noise problem. I'm getting there.
          >
          > If a gantry is only connected to the rest of the machine by the linear
          rail
          > blocks and you wanted to make a good earth between the two, how would
          you
          > do it without creating a ground loop?
          >
          > My stepper cables have an earth wire I've not used. Attach one end under
          > stepper screw and the other at the star point in the control box... or
          run
          > a wire between gantry and table?
          >
          > Regards Dave

        • Dclifton2
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 26, 2013
            I have had the same problem same wire (Igus). I normally have all my grounds coming back to the same point (star). I can't ground my motor cable shields or I get a fault. I do have them terminated together but if I tie in the spindle shield I get the fault. I'm currently just shielding my spindle and not having a problem.
            Don

            Sent from Don Clifton's IPad

            On Jul 25, 2013, at 7:18 PM, qconvers@... wrote:

            > I'm still working on my noise problem. I'm getting there.
            >
            > If a gantry is only connected to the rest of the machine by the linear rail
            > blocks and you wanted to make a good earth between the two, how would you
            > do it without creating a ground loop?
            >
            > My stepper cables have an earth wire I've not used. Attach one end under a
            > stepper screw and the other at the star point in the control box... or run
            > a wire between gantry and table?
            >
            > Regards Dave

          • Andy Wander
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 26, 2013
              Just to clarify-the "earth wire" to your steppers-is it in fact a shield
              drain wire, or simply an unused conductor in the cable?

              If it's shied drain wire, then yes, it should be hooked up, at one end
              only, and the floating shield "may" have something to do with your problems.

              If it is just another conductor, then i doubt hooking it up will have any
              effect.

              Andy Wander

              _____

              <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , qconvers@... wrote:

              > I'm still working on my noise problem. I'm getting there.
              >
              > If a gantry is only connected to the rest of the machine by the linear
              rail
              > blocks and you wanted to make a good earth between the two, how would
              you
              > do it without creating a ground loop?
              >
              > My stepper cables have an earth wire I've not used. Attach one end under
              > stepper screw and the other at the star point in the control box... or
              run
              > a wire between gantry and table?
              >
              > Regards Dave

            • quadconversions
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 26, 2013
                Hi Andy,

                it's a yellow/green wire within the shield with the other wires. My
                shields have always been grounded at one end in the control box.

                Regards Dave

                ohawiseguyeh@... writes:

                Just to clarify-the "earth wire" to your steppers-is it in fact a shield
                drain wire, or simply an unused conductor in the cable?

                If it's shied drain wire, then yes, it should be hooked up, at one end
                only, and the floating shield "may" have something to do with your
                problems.

                If it is just another conductor, then i doubt hooking it up will have any
                effect.

                Andy Wander

                _____

                So the rule is always back to the same point in the box.

                Is it known for stepper motors to suddenly become noisy?

                Regards Dave

                cd.edwards@... <mailto:cd.edwards%40sasktel.net> writes:

                only attach one end of the shield. you would be better off attaching at
                the control box end though. Run a wire from the control box up and through
                your gantry for your gantry ground. Don't rely on bearings to make your
                ground connections that would include linear guides etc.

                --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , qconvers@... wrote:

                > I'm still working on my noise problem. I'm getting there.
                >
                > If a gantry is only connected to the rest of the machine by the linear
                rail
                > blocks and you wanted to make a good earth between the two, how would
                you
                > do it without creating a ground loop?
                >
                > My stepper cables have an earth wire I've not used. Attach one end under
                > stepper screw and the other at the star point in the control box... or
                run
                > a wire between gantry and table?
                >
                > Regards Dave

              • Andy Wander
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 26, 2013
                  Well, it may be worth a shot to connect those wires to your star ground at
                  one end, and to the motors frames at the other. Simple enough to do. I'd
                  them one at a time, and see what happens.

                  I agree with the other poster that if it was working well, and then stopped
                  working, as you describe, I'd be searching for a change, intentional or
                  otherwise.

                  Andy Wander

                  _____

                  From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                  So the rule is always back to the same point in the box.

                  Is it known for stepper motors to suddenly become noisy?

                  Regards Dave

                  cd.edwards@... <mailto:cd.edwards%40sasktel.net>
                  <mailto:cd.edwards%40sasktel.net> writes:

                  only attach one end of the shield. you would be better off attaching at
                  the control box end though. Run a wire from the control box up and through
                  your gantry for your gantry ground. Don't rely on bearings to make your
                  ground connections that would include linear guides etc.

                  --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                  <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                  <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , qconvers@... wrote:

                  > I'm still working on my noise problem. I'm getting there.
                  >
                  > If a gantry is only connected to the rest of the machine by the linear
                  rail
                  > blocks and you wanted to make a good earth between the two, how would
                  you
                  > do it without creating a ground loop?
                  >
                  > My stepper cables have an earth wire I've not used. Attach one end under
                  > stepper screw and the other at the star point in the control box... or
                  run
                  > a wire between gantry and table?
                  >
                  > Regards Dave

                • quadconversions
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 26, 2013
                    Hi Chuck,

                    Yes, I took advice from this forum years ago and spared no expense in
                    wires to do the job right. It's run good ever since.. until now.

                    chuckels@... writes:

                    Dave,
                    I seriously doubt that unless you made some major changes to the layout of
                    configuration of your system that you developed a noise problem out of the
                    blue.
                    I would be more prone to look at wiring issues specifically broken or
                    pinched.
                    I know the electronic wizards on here are experts on noise and ground
                    loops but you say your machine was running perfectly for a long time.
                    Chuck

                    cd.edwards@... writes:

                    only attach one end of the shield. you would be better off attaching at
                    the control box end though. Run a wire from the control box up and through
                    your gantry for your gantry ground. Don't rely on bearings to make your
                    ground connections that would include linear guides etc.

                    --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, qconvers@... wrote:

                    > I'm still working on my noise problem. I'm getting there.
                    >
                    > If a gantry is only connected to the rest of the machine by the linear
                    rail
                    > blocks and you wanted to make a good earth between the two, how would
                    you
                    > do it without creating a ground loop?
                    >
                    > My stepper cables have an earth wire I've not used. Attach one end under
                    > stepper screw and the other at the star point in the control box... or
                    run
                    > a wire between gantry and table?
                    >
                    > Regards Dave

                  • chuck