Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re:noise problem. Not solved

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 23, 2013
      Call me a nag... but have you undone ALL changes you made recently to
      your previously running system?

      Have you swapped out the BOB, LPT card, LPT cable, and computer?

      You need to make one change at a time, and then evaluate.

      If you start installing the E Smoothstepper you might just dig yourself
      another rabbit hole...

      Dave

      On 7/22/2013 3:18 PM, qconvers@... wrote:

      > Nope, with the X axis limit switch detached from the BOB completely, Mach
      > keeps getting tripped by the E stop. At one point it was reset, trip,
      > reset,
      > trip, reset, trip...
      >
      > I've re routed the LPT cable so it's not near any high voltages.. no
      > good.
      > I've disconnected all the inputs to the BOB now and I'm kind of hoping it
      > will trip.
      >
      > So you wire one wire from the switches to the BOB inputs and the other to
      > the star ground with all the shields and the mains earth... have I got
      > that
      > right? I've had each switch across and input and GND on the board. I
      > thought all those wires stuffed into one small screw terminal might be
      > wrong.
      > So do I connect the GND to the star point too? It's funny that this thing
      > has worked so well for so long.
      >
      > I'm going to order an Opto Isolated BOB and a new LPT cable and walk away
      > from this tomorrow. Just to get some work done.
      >
      > I ran the driver test and it says my system is excellent...
      >
      > Slowly losing it, Dave

      > jiminwoodstock@... <mailto:jiminwoodstock%40gmail.com> writes:
      >
      > Additional info...
      > My limit switches are wired from ground to the interface board inputs.
      > The
      > interface board is configured so that +5v is present until the switch is
      > closed which will bring the input to 0V. This way any possible noise
      > on the
      > wire is shunted to ground by the normally closed switch.

    • quadconversions
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
        Hi Dave,

        Yes, I've put the RAM back to 512 Mb with no effect.

        I've ordered a new cable as I didn't have one. I don't have a spare BOB but
        I'm about to order one. I've got a Gecko 540 but I believe that won't
        handle Nema 34s at 4.2 amps...

        I've been going round in ever decreasing circles and I'm convinced it's one
        of the items you mention.

        I have X limits and X home on the same pin. I can enable the home, but
        enabling either limit will cause immediate, constant limit trip now, but with
        no LEDs on. Even with them disabled I've seen other LEDs flash and
        completely physically removing the switches does not solve the problem.

        I'm sure replacing LPT cable and BOB will solve it. I'll let you know
        when they turn up.

        Thanks for your concern, it's nice just to share the problem as I don't
        know anyone else here that has a clue what I'm facing.

        Regards Dave

        In a message dated 24/07/2013 04:55:52 GMT Daylight Time, dc9@...
        writes:

        Call me a nag... but have you undone ALL changes you made recently to
        your previously running system?

        Have you swapped out the BOB, LPT card, LPT cable, and computer?

        You need to make one change at a time, and then evaluate.

        If you start installing the E Smoothstepper you might just dig yourself
        another rabbit hole...

        Dave

        On 7/22/2013 3:18 PM, qconvers@... wrote:

        > Nope, with the X axis limit switch detached from the BOB completely, Mach
        > keeps getting tripped by the E stop. At one point it was reset, trip,
        > reset,
        > trip, reset, trip...
        >
        > I've re routed the LPT cable so it's not near any high voltages.. no
        > good.
        > I've disconnected all the inputs to the BOB now and I'm kind of hoping it
        > will trip.
        >
        > So you wire one wire from the switches to the BOB inputs and the other to
        > the star ground with all the shields and the mains earth... have I got
        > that
        > right? I've had each switch across and input and GND on the board. I
        > thought all those wires stuffed into one small screw terminal might be
        > wrong.
        > So do I connect the GND to the star point too? It's funny that this thing
        > has worked so well for so long.
        >
        > I'm going to order an Opto Isolated BOB and a new LPT cable and walk away
        > from this tomorrow. Just to get some work done.
        >
        > I ran the driver test and it says my system is excellent...
        >
        > Slowly losing it, Dave

        > jiminwoodstock@... <mailto:jiminwoodstock%40gmail.com> writes:
        >
        > Additional info...
        > My limit switches are wired from ground to the interface board inputs.
        > The
        > interface board is configured so that +5v is present until the switch is
        > closed which will bring the input to 0V. This way any possible noise
        > on the
        > wire is shunted to ground by the normally closed switch.

      • chuck
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
          Dave,
          just an off the wall guess but is it possible the ribbon cable inside the pc to the PP connector was knocked lose while you were inside?
          if the PP socket is directly on the mother board than disregard my guess.
          Chuck

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
            If you set the current limit on the G540 to the max 3.5 amps (I think
            that is no resistor - as I recall) it should be able to drive those nema
            34's at reduced power. Make sure you PS voltage is not too great for
            the G540.
            I've driven Nema 34s with a G540 before.. You may have to run at
            reduced accel/speed but at least you can eliminate your existing BOB as
            a concern or confirm that it is bad.

            Dave

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
              Hi Chuck,

              It's directly on the mother board. It hasn't tripped for over an hour now
              with the X axis limits un-enabled... but then it's tripped before with them
              completely disconnected....

              Regards Dave

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
                That's good to know Dave. But my Gecko is on my bench top machine and all
                wired up with DB9 plugs.. I've been promised a next day delivery on the new
                BOB.

                My Z axis weighs close to 20KG.. it takes all the amps it can get at any
                speed :0)

                Regards Dave

              • danmauch
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 25, 2013
                  If you use no resistor the current will be 3.5A but there is no auto current reduction. Use a 3.47K resistor for 3.47A and retain auto current reduction.
                  Dan