RE: [mach1mach2cnc] Re:noise problem. Not solved

  • Andy Wander
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
      Good luck, Dave! Intermittent stuff, and things that suddenly start
      happening with no apparent cause, can be the devil to track down. Sometimes
      they get fixed without us really knowing the cause!

      The board you linked to might be great, or it might be a piece of junk, it
      is really hard to say without seeing a circuit diagram, and having some
      experience with it.

      Andy Wander

      _____

      From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 23, 2013
        I'm jumping in w/o fully reading this thread, but my 2cents:

        1)for a test,right at the contacts that the limit switches are being read my Mach, put some .1uf caps to gnd( gnd that the limit switch is referenced to ) see if behavior changes.

        2) What I eventually did to resolve: I had this exact condition and it drove me crazy until I added optocouplers to the limit circuits. There was an induced fast glitch that was hard to capture happening.
        -Lee Studley

        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Wander" <ohawiseguyeh@...> wrote:

        > Good luck, Dave! Intermittent stuff, and things that suddenly start
        > happening with no apparent cause, can be the devil to track down. Sometimes
        > they get fixed without us really knowing the cause!

      • quadconversions
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 23, 2013
          Hi Lee,

          Thanks for the input. I happen to have a load of caps, resistors etc. that
          someone gave me. Thinking I knew what to do with them. I don't. I've got
          some that say 65V 1uf on them, would these do? And can you get them the
          wrong way round?

          I've called a couple of guys that sell Opto isolated BOBs today. The first,
          selling cheap ones on Ebay put me onto the other one. I think he could
          tell I was a serious CNCer. Following their advice I've reinstalled Mach
          (upgrading it to the version Jeff recommends for an Ethernet SS) No good.

          It's like any of the cables going out to switches can trigger a limit or E
          stop. It's like the machine it'self is omitting spikes. It is grounded,
          I've had a circuit tester between the machine and the plug in the wall today.

          It even does it without power to the steppers. The model board I machine
          does create a lot of static, but I've machined skip loads of the stuff no
          problem.

          I was reluctant to go Opto isolated until I had found the cause, but I'm
          beyond that now. I'll have a Opto board by the end of the week.

          Regards Dave

          wrote:

          > Good luck, Dave! Intermittent stuff, and things that suddenly start
          > happening with no apparent cause, can be the devil to track down.
          Sometimes
          > they get fixed without us really knowing the cause!

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 23, 2013
            Call me a nag... but have you undone ALL changes you made recently to
            your previously running system?

            Have you swapped out the BOB, LPT card, LPT cable, and computer?

            You need to make one change at a time, and then evaluate.

            If you start installing the E Smoothstepper you might just dig yourself
            another rabbit hole...

            Dave

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
              Hi Dave,

              Yes, I've put the RAM back to 512 Mb with no effect.

              I've ordered a new cable as I didn't have one. I don't have a spare BOB but
              I'm about to order one. I've got a Gecko 540 but I believe that won't
              handle Nema 34s at 4.2 amps...

              I've been going round in ever decreasing circles and I'm convinced it's one
              of the items you mention.

              I have X limits and X home on the same pin. I can enable the home, but
              enabling either limit will cause immediate, constant limit trip now, but with
              no LEDs on. Even with them disabled I've seen other LEDs flash and
              completely physically removing the switches does not solve the problem.

              I'm sure replacing LPT cable and BOB will solve it. I'll let you know
              when they turn up.

              Thanks for your concern, it's nice just to share the problem as I don't
              know anyone else here that has a clue what I'm facing.

              Regards Dave

              In a message dated 24/07/2013 04:55:52 GMT Daylight Time, dc9@...
              writes:

              Call me a nag... but have you undone ALL changes you made recently to
              your previously running system?

              Have you swapped out the BOB, LPT card, LPT cable, and computer?

              You need to make one change at a time, and then evaluate.

              If you start installing the E Smoothstepper you might just dig yourself
              another rabbit hole...

              Dave

              On 7/22/2013 3:18 PM, qconvers@... wrote:

              > Nope, with the X axis limit switch detached from the BOB completely, Mach
              > keeps getting tripped by the E stop. At one point it was reset, trip,
              > reset,
              > trip, reset, trip...
              >
              > I've re routed the LPT cable so it's not near any high voltages.. no
              > good.
              > I've disconnected all the inputs to the BOB now and I'm kind of hoping it
              > will trip.
              >
              > So you wire one wire from the switches to the BOB inputs and the other to
              > the star ground with all the shields and the mains earth... have I got
              > that
              > right? I've had each switch across and input and GND on the board. I
              > thought all those wires stuffed into one small screw terminal might be
              > wrong.
              > So do I connect the GND to the star point too? It's funny that this thing
              > has worked so well for so long.
              >
              > I'm going to order an Opto Isolated BOB and a new LPT cable and walk away
              > from this tomorrow. Just to get some work done.
              >
              > I ran the driver test and it says my system is excellent...
              >
              > Slowly losing it, Dave

              > jiminwoodstock@... <mailto:jiminwoodstock%40gmail.com> writes:
              >
              > Additional info...
              > My limit switches are wired from ground to the interface board inputs.
              > The
              > interface board is configured so that +5v is present until the switch is
              > closed which will bring the input to 0V. This way any possible noise
              > on the
              > wire is shunted to ground by the normally closed switch.

            • chuck
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
                Dave,
                just an off the wall guess but is it possible the ribbon cable inside the pc to the PP connector was knocked lose while you were inside?
                if the PP socket is directly on the mother board than disregard my guess.
                Chuck

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
                  If you set the current limit on the G540 to the max 3.5 amps (I think
                  that is no resistor - as I recall) it should be able to drive those nema
                  34's at reduced power. Make sure you PS voltage is not too great for
                  the G540.
                  I've driven Nema 34s with a G540 before.. You may have to run at
                  reduced accel/speed but at least you can eliminate your existing BOB as
                  a concern or confirm that it is bad.

                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
                    Hi Chuck,

                    It's directly on the mother board. It hasn't tripped for over an hour now
                    with the X axis limits un-enabled... but then it's tripped before with them
                    completely disconnected....

                    Regards Dave

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
                      That's good to know Dave. But my Gecko is on my bench top machine and all
                      wired up with DB9 plugs.. I've been promised a next day delivery on the new
                      BOB.

                      My Z axis weighs close to 20KG.. it takes all the amps it can get at any
                      speed :0)

                      Regards Dave

                    • danmauch
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 25, 2013
                        If you use no resistor the current will be 3.5A but there is no auto current reduction. Use a 3.47K resistor for 3.47A and retain auto current reduction.
                        Dan