Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re:noise problem. Not solved

  • quadconversions
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
      Nope, with the X axis limit switch detached from the BOB completely, Mach
      keeps getting tripped by the E stop. At one point it was reset, trip, reset,
      trip, reset, trip...

      I've re routed the LPT cable so it's not near any high voltages.. no good.
      I've disconnected all the inputs to the BOB now and I'm kind of hoping it
      will trip.

      So you wire one wire from the switches to the BOB inputs and the other to
      the star ground with all the shields and the mains earth... have I got that
      right? I've had each switch across and input and GND on the board. I
      thought all those wires stuffed into one small screw terminal might be wrong.
      So do I connect the GND to the star point too? It's funny that this thing
      has worked so well for so long.

      I'm going to order an Opto Isolated BOB and a new LPT cable and walk away
      from this tomorrow. Just to get some work done.

      I ran the driver test and it says my system is excellent...

      Slowly losing it, Dave

      jiminwoodstock@... writes:

      Additional info...
      My limit switches are wired from ground to the interface board inputs. The
      interface board is configured so that +5v is present until the switch is
      closed which will bring the input to 0V. This way any possible noise on the
      wire is shunted to ground by the normally closed switch.

    • Andy Wander
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
        I would use the GND terminal on the BOB. Keep the switch wires together as
        much as possible,

        Andy Wander

        _____

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
          Thanks Andy,

          I'm putting off opening another can of worms, fitting the SS just now. So
          I've got my eye on this...

          http://www.diycnc.co.uk/optoboardV3.pdf

          It's the most expensive I've seen, but it looks well built and the guy
          sounds like he knows what he's talking about. With no switches attached,
          there's no problem. So far.

          The sun has gone down here and I've spent the whole day messing with it.

          Regards Dave

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
            >>So you wire one wire from the switches to the BOB inputs and the other to
            >>the star ground with all the shields and the mains earth... have I got
            that
            >>right?

            No, that is NOT the right way to do things. The confusion comes about as we
            use the term 'ground' to mean many things. First consider a simple battery
            powered flashlight (torch). The battery will have a "+" terminal and a "-",
            in common parlance we might refer to these "positive" and "ground" (or
            "negative"). In fact this ground has nothing to do with the Earth nor is it
            negative w.r.t. anything else. It would be more accurate to call this the
            'common' terminal.

            In an AC mains system is it typical practice to tie/bond one side of the AC
            power to Earth or to "ground it". This is where the term 'grounding' comes
            from. In your CNC machine control box you have a power supply that takes the
            mains voltage and gives you DC. The output of the power supply will be
            labeled "+" and "-", the "-" however is NOT to be confused with Earth
            Ground. (Inside the power supply the "-" may be bonded to Earth Ground but
            you should not do so elsewhere unless the manufacturer directs you to do
            so.)

            The "-" terminal on your power supply is the "common" it is the return path
            for your DC circuits. Anything that the power supply is providing power for
            should be connected to the power supply "-" terminal. The Earth Ground
            should NEVER be used as a return path for DC circuits. To do so is to
            invites noise into your control and much frustration into your life.

            Jeff Birt

            Soigeneris.com
            _____

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
              Good luck, Dave! Intermittent stuff, and things that suddenly start
              happening with no apparent cause, can be the devil to track down. Sometimes
              they get fixed without us really knowing the cause!

              The board you linked to might be great, or it might be a piece of junk, it
              is really hard to say without seeing a circuit diagram, and having some
              experience with it.

              Andy Wander

              _____

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 23, 2013
                I'm jumping in w/o fully reading this thread, but my 2cents:

                1)for a test,right at the contacts that the limit switches are being read my Mach, put some .1uf caps to gnd( gnd that the limit switch is referenced to ) see if behavior changes.

                2) What I eventually did to resolve: I had this exact condition and it drove me crazy until I added optocouplers to the limit circuits. There was an induced fast glitch that was hard to capture happening.
                -Lee Studley

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 23, 2013
                  Hi Lee,

                  Thanks for the input. I happen to have a load of caps, resistors etc. that
                  someone gave me. Thinking I knew what to do with them. I don't. I've got
                  some that say 65V 1uf on them, would these do? And can you get them the
                  wrong way round?

                  I've called a couple of guys that sell Opto isolated BOBs today. The first,
                  selling cheap ones on Ebay put me onto the other one. I think he could
                  tell I was a serious CNCer. Following their advice I've reinstalled Mach
                  (upgrading it to the version Jeff recommends for an Ethernet SS) No good.

                  It's like any of the cables going out to switches can trigger a limit or E
                  stop. It's like the machine it'self is omitting spikes. It is grounded,
                  I've had a circuit tester between the machine and the plug in the wall today.

                  It even does it without power to the steppers. The model board I machine
                  does create a lot of static, but I've machined skip loads of the stuff no
                  problem.

                  I was reluctant to go Opto isolated until I had found the cause, but I'm
                  beyond that now. I'll have a Opto board by the end of the week.

                  Regards Dave

                  wrote:

                  > Good luck, Dave! Intermittent stuff, and things that suddenly start
                  > happening with no apparent cause, can be the devil to track down.
                  Sometimes
                  > they get fixed without us really knowing the cause!

                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 23, 2013
                    Call me a nag... but have you undone ALL changes you made recently to
                    your previously running system?

                    Have you swapped out the BOB, LPT card, LPT cable, and computer?

                    You need to make one change at a time, and then evaluate.

                    If you start installing the E Smoothstepper you might just dig yourself
                    another rabbit hole...

                    Dave

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
                      Hi Dave,

                      Yes, I've put the RAM back to 512 Mb with no effect.

                      I've ordered a new cable as I didn't have one. I don't have a spare BOB but
                      I'm about to order one. I've got a Gecko 540 but I believe that won't
                      handle Nema 34s at 4.2 amps...

                      I've been going round in ever decreasing circles and I'm convinced it's one
                      of the items you mention.

                      I have X limits and X home on the same pin. I can enable the home, but
                      enabling either limit will cause immediate, constant limit trip now, but with
                      no LEDs on. Even with them disabled I've seen other LEDs flash and
                      completely physically removing the switches does not solve the problem.

                      I'm sure replacing LPT cable and BOB will solve it. I'll let you know
                      when they turn up.

                      Thanks for your concern, it's nice just to share the problem as I don't
                      know anyone else here that has a clue what I'm facing.

                      Regards Dave

                      In a message dated 24/07/2013 04:55:52 GMT Daylight Time, dc9@...
                      writes:

                      Call me a nag... but have you undone ALL changes you made recently to
                      your previously running system?

                      Have you swapped out the BOB, LPT card, LPT cable, and computer?

                      You need to make one change at a time, and then evaluate.

                      If you start installing the E Smoothstepper you might just dig yourself
                      another rabbit hole...

                      Dave

                      On 7/22/2013 3:18 PM, qconvers@... wrote:

                      > Nope, with the X axis limit switch detached from the BOB completely, Mach
                      > keeps getting tripped by the E stop. At one point it was reset, trip,
                      > reset,
                      > trip, reset, trip...
                      >
                      > I've re routed the LPT cable so it's not near any high voltages.. no
                      > good.
                      > I've disconnected all the inputs to the BOB now and I'm kind of hoping it
                      > will trip.
                      >
                      > So you wire one wire from the switches to the BOB inputs and the other to
                      > the star ground with all the shields and the mains earth... have I got
                      > that
                      > right? I've had each switch across and input and GND on the board. I
                      > thought all those wires stuffed into one small screw terminal might be
                      > wrong.
                      > So do I connect the GND to the star point too? It's funny that this thing
                      > has worked so well for so long.
                      >
                      > I'm going to order an Opto Isolated BOB and a new LPT cable and walk away
                      > from this tomorrow. Just to get some work done.
                      >
                      > I ran the driver test and it says my system is excellent...
                      >
                      > Slowly losing it, Dave

                      > jiminwoodstock@... <mailto:jiminwoodstock%40gmail.com> writes:
                      >
                      > Additional info...
                      > My limit switches are wired from ground to the interface board inputs.
                      > The
                      > interface board is configured so that +5v is present until the switch is
                      > closed which will bring the input to 0V. This way any possible noise
                      > on the
                      > wire is shunted to ground by the normally closed switch.

                    • chuck
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
                        Dave,
                        just an off the wall guess but is it possible the ribbon cable inside the pc to the PP connector was knocked lose while you were inside?
                        if the PP socket is directly on the mother board than disregard my guess.
                        Chuck

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
                          If you set the current limit on the G540 to the max 3.5 amps (I think
                          that is no resistor - as I recall) it should be able to drive those nema
                          34's at reduced power. Make sure you PS voltage is not too great for
                          the G540.
                          I've driven Nema 34s with a G540 before.. You may have to run at
                          reduced accel/speed but at least you can eliminate your existing BOB as
                          a concern or confirm that it is bad.

                          Dave

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
                            Hi Chuck,

                            It's directly on the mother board. It hasn't tripped for over an hour now
                            with the X axis limits un-enabled... but then it's tripped before with them
                            completely disconnected....

                            Regards Dave

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
                              That's good to know Dave. But my Gecko is on my bench top machine and all
                              wired up with DB9 plugs.. I've been promised a next day delivery on the new
                              BOB.

                              My Z axis weighs close to 20KG.. it takes all the amps it can get at any
                              speed :0)

                              Regards Dave

                            • danmauch
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 25, 2013
                                If you use no resistor the current will be 3.5A but there is no auto current reduction. Use a 3.47K resistor for 3.47A and retain auto current reduction.
                                Dan