Re:noise problem.

  • Jim Bell
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
      My limit switches are wired normally closed. If you wire the switches that way and configure Mach3 to handle the normally closed switch, it is the much preferred connection method. If a wire breaks or gets disconnected, the limit will be on and you will know that there is a problem. If wired normally open, if a wire breaks or get disconnected, you will only know when you reach the limit and the carriage tries to keep going.
      Another reason, which may directly apply here, is that when the switches are wired normally closed, the limit signal is "grounded" by the switch being closed and the wiring from the switch to the interface box is MUCH less susceptible to noise.

      My switches here are high quality micro-switches. When I first installed them, I would sometimes get a x axis limit error after the carriage would cross a certain point. After much troubleshooting, the problem was a brand new defective switch. Replacing the switch fixed the problem and no more false limit problems. You may have a defective switch in your system.
      Hope this helps.
    • quadconversions
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
        Yes. these things dominate Ebay at the moment...

        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roller-Arm-Type-AC-Limit-Switch-For-CNC-Mill-Plasm
        a-ME-8108-High-Quality-WST-/271237215814?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Sup
        plies_ET&hash=item3f26ff7646

        I thought I would just see if there was an Oscilloscope App for smart
        phones... blow me there is...

        http://www.oscilloscopeapp.com/

        and this one with the sensor through the audio jack...

        https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.serverbox.android.osciprime
        &hl=en

        Regards Dave

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
          Sorry misread, microphone.

          In a message dated 22/07/2013 00:58:55 GMT Daylight Time, qconvers@...
          writes:

          and this one with the sensor through the audio jack...

        • Rupert
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
            Dave,
            May I suggest to take a continuity reading on the complete switch
            circuit. Flex the wires when you do it plus actuate the switches to make
            sure they are working right. From what I read, I suspect you have a
            broken wire somewhere or a bad switch.

            As mentioned, ram cards need to match the motherboard on a computer.
            All kinds of funny stuff can happen if they don't match.

            Rupert

            --

            yvt

            Rupert Wenig
            Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

            email: rwenig2@...

            http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/
          • Jim Bell
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
              --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Bell" <jiminwoodstock@...> wrote:

              > My limit switches are wired normally closed. If you wire the switches that way and configure Mach3 to handle the normally closed switch, it is the much preferred connection method. If a wire breaks or gets disconnected, the limit will be on and you will know that there is a problem. If wired normally open, if a wire breaks or get disconnected, you will only know when you reach the limit and the carriage tries to keep going.
              > Another reason, which may directly apply here, is that when the switches are wired normally closed, the limit signal is "grounded" by the switch being closed and the wiring from the switch to the interface box is MUCH less susceptible to noise.
              >
              > My switches here are high quality micro-switches. When I first installed them, I would sometimes get a x axis limit error after the carriage would cross a certain point. After much troubleshooting, the problem was a brand new defective switch. Replacing the switch fixed the problem and no more false limit problems. You may have a defective switch in your system.
              > Hope this helps.

              Additional info...
              My limit switches are wired from ground to the interface board inputs. The interface board is configured so that +5v is present until the switch is closed which will bring the input to 0V. This way any possible noise on the wire is shunted to ground by the normally closed switch.