Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re:noise problem.

  • chuck
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
      Dave,
      one of the first questions to ask when troubleshooting is what changed.
      you say you changed memory chips.
      so un-change them while your in there see if maybe something got moved or loosened in the process.
      if the problem is still there than you've eliminated one possibility so move on to the next logical cause.
      just my 2 cents,
      Chuck

      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
        I'm just debating wether I should drive up to work and try that or go to
        bed. It's tomorrow already here.... It will be my first job when the sun
        comes up.

        Regards Dave

        --

        yvt

        Rupert Wenig
        Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

        email: rwenig2@...

        http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/

      • Jim Bell
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
          My limit switches are wired normally closed. If you wire the switches that way and configure Mach3 to handle the normally closed switch, it is the much preferred connection method. If a wire breaks or gets disconnected, the limit will be on and you will know that there is a problem. If wired normally open, if a wire breaks or get disconnected, you will only know when you reach the limit and the carriage tries to keep going.
          Another reason, which may directly apply here, is that when the switches are wired normally closed, the limit signal is "grounded" by the switch being closed and the wiring from the switch to the interface box is MUCH less susceptible to noise.

          My switches here are high quality micro-switches. When I first installed them, I would sometimes get a x axis limit error after the carriage would cross a certain point. After much troubleshooting, the problem was a brand new defective switch. Replacing the switch fixed the problem and no more false limit problems. You may have a defective switch in your system.
          Hope this helps.
        • quadconversions
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
            Yes. these things dominate Ebay at the moment...

            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roller-Arm-Type-AC-Limit-Switch-For-CNC-Mill-Plasm
            a-ME-8108-High-Quality-WST-/271237215814?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Sup
            plies_ET&hash=item3f26ff7646

            I thought I would just see if there was an Oscilloscope App for smart
            phones... blow me there is...

            http://www.oscilloscopeapp.com/

            and this one with the sensor through the audio jack...

            https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.serverbox.android.osciprime
            &hl=en

            Regards Dave

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
              Sorry misread, microphone.

              In a message dated 22/07/2013 00:58:55 GMT Daylight Time, qconvers@...
              writes:

              and this one with the sensor through the audio jack...

            • Rupert
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
                Dave,
                May I suggest to take a continuity reading on the complete switch
                circuit. Flex the wires when you do it plus actuate the switches to make
                sure they are working right. From what I read, I suspect you have a
                broken wire somewhere or a bad switch.

                As mentioned, ram cards need to match the motherboard on a computer.
                All kinds of funny stuff can happen if they don't match.

                Rupert

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
                  --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Bell" <jiminwoodstock@...> wrote:

                  > My limit switches are wired normally closed. If you wire the switches that way and configure Mach3 to handle the normally closed switch, it is the much preferred connection method. If a wire breaks or gets disconnected, the limit will be on and you will know that there is a problem. If wired normally open, if a wire breaks or get disconnected, you will only know when you reach the limit and the carriage tries to keep going.
                  > Another reason, which may directly apply here, is that when the switches are wired normally closed, the limit signal is "grounded" by the switch being closed and the wiring from the switch to the interface box is MUCH less susceptible to noise.
                  >
                  > My switches here are high quality micro-switches. When I first installed them, I would sometimes get a x axis limit error after the carriage would cross a certain point. After much troubleshooting, the problem was a brand new defective switch. Replacing the switch fixed the problem and no more false limit problems. You may have a defective switch in your system.
                  > Hope this helps.

                  Additional info...
                  My limit switches are wired from ground to the interface board inputs. The interface board is configured so that +5v is present until the switch is closed which will bring the input to 0V. This way any possible noise on the wire is shunted to ground by the normally closed switch.