Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re:noise problem.

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
      It sounds like this system was working fine for a period of time and now
      you are having what appears to be noise problems??

      If so, and if you changed nothing and suddenly this problem appeared or
      progressively got worse, then something is failing. I'd guess BOB, LPT
      port, or computer.

      This is likely a problem only appearing to be a noise issue.

      Dave

      On 7/21/2013 3:43 PM, qconvers@... wrote:

      > Hi Andy,
      >
      > Would this be a worth while purchase?
      >

      > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Breakout-board-CNC-Stepper-Motor-5-Axis-Spindle-Re
      > lay-/111114978565?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Automation_Control_ET&hash=item19def8
      > 0505#ht_766wt_785
      >
      > Regards Dave

      > ohawiseguyeh@... <mailto:ohawiseguyeh%40gmail.com> writes:
      >
      > I would install the caps right at the BOB from inputs to a GND terminals.
      >
      > Andy Wander
      >
      > _____
      >
      > From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>

    • Andy Wander
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
        Hi Dave:

        It might.

        The current buffer BOB that you are using doesn't seem to have isolation
        between the PC and the machine. This one says it is isolated.

        That brings up another question, have you changed anything as far as where
        the PC and the machine/controller get their AC power from? Ideally, they
        would both be plugged into the same outlet, or 22 outlets on the same wiring
        run. This mau ==y not apply if you are in the UK(I am guessing that based on
        the links you provided)

        Andy Wander

        _____

        From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>

        <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
        [mailto:mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>

        > All of a sudden my machine won't jog fast, holding the shift key and when
        > homing it hits and comes off the Y axis switch OK but Mach then says it's
        > hit a limit switch and stops there...
        >
        > Have I got a setting wrong?
        >
        > Regards Dave K

      • quadconversions
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
          Hi Andy,

          Everything is plugged into one surge protection extension lead. Yes I'm
          in the UK..240V.

          The one thing I did change was the PC Ram from a 512Mb stick to 2X 2Gb
          Corsair sticks..... I guess it's worth putting the 512Mb stick back in,,,
          It's always run on 512Mb.

          I thought it would improve things, but it's the only thing I've changed
          since it last ran...

          Regards Dave

          From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>

          > All of a sudden my machine won't jog fast, holding the shift key and when
          > homing it hits and comes off the Y axis switch OK but Mach then says it's
          > hit a limit switch and stops there...
          >
          > Have I got a setting wrong?
          >
          > Regards Dave K

        • quadconversions
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
            Hello Rupert,

            NC. I cut the wires to the X axis switches and twisted them together to
            complete the circuit. This stopped the LEDs flashing as it tripped, but
            still Mach trips and says 'limit switch triggered' without a flash of LEDs.

            I think Dave might be right and something is on it's last legs. Although
            the DDR2 RAM cards fitted the slots I did notice they were a different
            voltage rating.... maybe they are sucking the life out of another component..

            I'm tempted to buy an oscilloscope and start probing stuff.

            I'm not even moving the machine, it just sits there and trips. Yesterday
            it missed steps a couple of times and then cut perfectly for 2 hours...
            today it can't get off the start line.

            Regards Dave

            rwenig2@... writes:

            Hello Dave,
            I'm curious. Do you have your limit switches wired NC or NO?

            Rupert

            --

            yvt

            Rupert Wenig
            Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

            email: rwenig2@...

            http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/

          • chuck
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
              Dave,
              one of the first questions to ask when troubleshooting is what changed.
              you say you changed memory chips.
              so un-change them while your in there see if maybe something got moved or loosened in the process.
              if the problem is still there than you've eliminated one possibility so move on to the next logical cause.
              just my 2 cents,
              Chuck

              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
                I'm just debating wether I should drive up to work and try that or go to
                bed. It's tomorrow already here.... It will be my first job when the sun
                comes up.

                Regards Dave

                --

                yvt

                Rupert Wenig
                Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

                email: rwenig2@...

                http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/

              • Jim Bell
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
                  My limit switches are wired normally closed. If you wire the switches that way and configure Mach3 to handle the normally closed switch, it is the much preferred connection method. If a wire breaks or gets disconnected, the limit will be on and you will know that there is a problem. If wired normally open, if a wire breaks or get disconnected, you will only know when you reach the limit and the carriage tries to keep going.
                  Another reason, which may directly apply here, is that when the switches are wired normally closed, the limit signal is "grounded" by the switch being closed and the wiring from the switch to the interface box is MUCH less susceptible to noise.

                  My switches here are high quality micro-switches. When I first installed them, I would sometimes get a x axis limit error after the carriage would cross a certain point. After much troubleshooting, the problem was a brand new defective switch. Replacing the switch fixed the problem and no more false limit problems. You may have a defective switch in your system.
                  Hope this helps.
                • quadconversions
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
                    Yes. these things dominate Ebay at the moment...

                    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roller-Arm-Type-AC-Limit-Switch-For-CNC-Mill-Plasm
                    a-ME-8108-High-Quality-WST-/271237215814?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Sup
                    plies_ET&hash=item3f26ff7646

                    I thought I would just see if there was an Oscilloscope App for smart
                    phones... blow me there is...

                    http://www.oscilloscopeapp.com/

                    and this one with the sensor through the audio jack...

                    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.serverbox.android.osciprime
                    &hl=en

                    Regards Dave

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
                      Sorry misread, microphone.

                      In a message dated 22/07/2013 00:58:55 GMT Daylight Time, qconvers@...
                      writes:

                      and this one with the sensor through the audio jack...

                    • Rupert
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
                        Dave,
                        May I suggest to take a continuity reading on the complete switch
                        circuit. Flex the wires when you do it plus actuate the switches to make
                        sure they are working right. From what I read, I suspect you have a
                        broken wire somewhere or a bad switch.

                        As mentioned, ram cards need to match the motherboard on a computer.
                        All kinds of funny stuff can happen if they don't match.

                        Rupert

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
                          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Bell" <jiminwoodstock@...> wrote:

                          > My limit switches are wired normally closed. If you wire the switches that way and configure Mach3 to handle the normally closed switch, it is the much preferred connection method. If a wire breaks or gets disconnected, the limit will be on and you will know that there is a problem. If wired normally open, if a wire breaks or get disconnected, you will only know when you reach the limit and the carriage tries to keep going.
                          > Another reason, which may directly apply here, is that when the switches are wired normally closed, the limit signal is "grounded" by the switch being closed and the wiring from the switch to the interface box is MUCH less susceptible to noise.
                          >
                          > My switches here are high quality micro-switches. When I first installed them, I would sometimes get a x axis limit error after the carriage would cross a certain point. After much troubleshooting, the problem was a brand new defective switch. Replacing the switch fixed the problem and no more false limit problems. You may have a defective switch in your system.
                          > Hope this helps.

                          Additional info...
                          My limit switches are wired from ground to the interface board inputs. The interface board is configured so that +5v is present until the switch is closed which will bring the input to 0V. This way any possible noise on the wire is shunted to ground by the normally closed switch.