Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re:noise problem.

  • quadconversions
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
      I've got a noise problem which is getting worse.

      I videoed the diag screen and found my X axis switches flashing as Mach
      tripped. I've disconnected them from the end of the Igus shielded cable now.
      I have the router disconnected from the mains. There's no VFD. All
      shields to one point on my alloy control box and all earths running from the same
      point. The machine is grounded though the mains. And yet every 5 mins or
      so mach will say there's a limit switch triggered. I've set Debouce upto
      4000... still the same.

      I did have my BOB powered by a USB cable but I've now got it powered from a
      5V power supply.

      Still every 5 mins Mach trips. Video shows no flash of LEDs now as it
      does.

      I've swopped our the power supplies for a new Meanwell... still the same.

      I have an ethernet smooth stepper I've never got around to fitting.. would
      this help?
      I saw a video where someone fitted capacitors across the limit switch
      wires.. would this help? If so what size caps should I use?

      This machine has run for many hours just fine. I'm pulling my hair out
      now. Any advice?

      Regards Dave K

      ptegler@... writes:

      check your diag screen...you've got a limit tripped somewhere...faulty
      switch perhaps....

      Paul Tegler
      ptegler@...
      www.teglerizer.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
        Hi Dave:

        Do you have fluorescent lights in the shop? If so, can you try running with
        the lights off, and see if it still trips? I have seen situations where a
        faulty ballast r even a failing fluorescent tube can generate massive
        amounts of radiated noise, which might be getting into your system.

        Has anything else electrical changed, which might be causing the noise
        problems?

        Without knowing the frequency of the noise, as well as the input impedance
        of your BOB, a cap value can't be specified. However, you could try 0.1uF
        and 0.01uF caps, at least as a starting point. They would be installed from
        your BOB limit switch inputs to GND.

        Are you using a USB SS now? If so, switching to Ethernet SS could definitely
        help.

        Andy Wander

        _____

        > All of a sudden my machine won't jog fast, holding the shift key and when
        > homing it hits and comes off the Y axis switch OK but Mach then says it's
        > hit a limit switch and stops there...
        >
        > Have I got a setting wrong?
        >
        > Regards Dave K

      • quadconversions
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
          Hi Andy,

          I do have fluorescent tubes but they've not been on today.

          I've replaced my Makita router with a new one but the problem remains, with
          it disconnected.

          When you say 'ground' do you mean across the + and - terminals on the board
          or to the grounded star point?

          I have always used one of these BOBs...

          http://www.cncdoctor.co.uk/lpt-buffer_63.html

          I guess fitting the Ethernet SS is my next job. I've been put off doing it
          since the machine was running good, but this is a good reason for doing it.

          Thanks for your responce.

          Regards Dave

          ohawiseguyeh@... writes:

          Hi Dave:

          Do you have fluorescent lights in the shop? If so, can you try running with
          the lights off, and see if it still trips? I have seen situations where a
          faulty ballast r even a failing fluorescent tube can generate massive
          amounts of radiated noise, which might be getting into your system.

          Has anything else electrical changed, which might be causing the noise
          problems?

          Without knowing the frequency of the noise, as well as the input impedance
          of your BOB, a cap value can't be specified. However, you could try 0.1uF
          and 0.01uF caps, at least as a starting point. They would be installed from
          your BOB limit switch inputs to GND.

          Are you using a USB SS now? If so, switching to Ethernet SS could
          definitely
          help.

          Andy Wander

          _____

          > All of a sudden my machine won't jog fast, holding the shift key and when
          > homing it hits and comes off the Y axis switch OK but Mach then says it's
          > hit a limit switch and stops there...
          >
          > Have I got a setting wrong?
          >
          > Regards Dave K

        • Rupert
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
            Hello Dave,
            I'm curious. Do you have your limit switches wired NC or NO?

            Rupert

            --

            yvt

            Rupert Wenig
            Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

            email: rwenig2@...

            http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/
          • Andy Wander
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
              Hi Dave:

              if you are currently using a USB SS, then the Ethernet SS may help. if you
              are using the Printer Port currently, I doubt the ESS will help.

              Andy Wander

              _____

              > All of a sudden my machine won't jog fast, holding the shift key and when
              > homing it hits and comes off the Y axis switch OK but Mach then says it's
              > hit a limit switch and stops there...
              >
              > Have I got a setting wrong?
              >
              > Regards Dave K

            • Andy Wander
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
                I would install the caps right at the BOB from inputs to a GND terminals.

                Andy Wander

                _____

                > All of a sudden my machine won't jog fast, holding the shift key and when
                > homing it hits and comes off the Y axis switch OK but Mach then says it's
                > hit a limit switch and stops there...
                >
                > Have I got a setting wrong?
                >
                > Regards Dave K

              • quadconversions

                  From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                  <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>

                  > All of a sudden my machine won't jog fast, holding the shift key and when
                  > homing it hits and comes off the Y axis switch OK but Mach then says it's
                  > hit a limit switch and stops there...
                  >
                  > Have I got a setting wrong?
                  >
                  > Regards Dave K

                • quadconversions
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
                    Hi Andy,

                    Would this be a worth while purchase?

                    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Breakout-board-CNC-Stepper-Motor-5-Axis-Spindle-Re
                    lay-/111114978565?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Automation_Control_ET&hash=item19def8
                    0505#ht_766wt_785

                    Regards Dave

                    From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                    <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>

                    > All of a sudden my machine won't jog fast, holding the shift key and when
                    > homing it hits and comes off the Y axis switch OK but Mach then says it's
                    > hit a limit switch and stops there...
                    >
                    > Have I got a setting wrong?
                    >
                    > Regards Dave K

                  • Dave
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
                      It sounds like this system was working fine for a period of time and now
                      you are having what appears to be noise problems??

                      If so, and if you changed nothing and suddenly this problem appeared or
                      progressively got worse, then something is failing. I'd guess BOB, LPT
                      port, or computer.

                      This is likely a problem only appearing to be a noise issue.

                      Dave

                      On 7/21/2013 3:43 PM, qconvers@... wrote:

                      > Hi Andy,
                      >
                      > Would this be a worth while purchase?
                      >

                      > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Breakout-board-CNC-Stepper-Motor-5-Axis-Spindle-Re
                      > lay-/111114978565?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Automation_Control_ET&hash=item19def8
                      > 0505#ht_766wt_785
                      >
                      > Regards Dave

                      > ohawiseguyeh@... <mailto:ohawiseguyeh%40gmail.com> writes:
                      >
                      > I would install the caps right at the BOB from inputs to a GND terminals.
                      >
                      > Andy Wander
                      >
                      > _____
                      >
                      > From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>

                    • Andy Wander
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
                        Hi Dave:

                        It might.

                        The current buffer BOB that you are using doesn't seem to have isolation
                        between the PC and the machine. This one says it is isolated.

                        That brings up another question, have you changed anything as far as where
                        the PC and the machine/controller get their AC power from? Ideally, they
                        would both be plugged into the same outlet, or 22 outlets on the same wiring
                        run. This mau ==y not apply if you are in the UK(I am guessing that based on
                        the links you provided)

                        Andy Wander

                        _____

                        From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>

                        <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                        [mailto:mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                        <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>

                        > All of a sudden my machine won't jog fast, holding the shift key and when
                        > homing it hits and comes off the Y axis switch OK but Mach then says it's
                        > hit a limit switch and stops there...
                        >
                        > Have I got a setting wrong?
                        >
                        > Regards Dave K

                      • quadconversions
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
                          Hi Andy,

                          Everything is plugged into one surge protection extension lead. Yes I'm
                          in the UK..240V.

                          The one thing I did change was the PC Ram from a 512Mb stick to 2X 2Gb
                          Corsair sticks..... I guess it's worth putting the 512Mb stick back in,,,
                          It's always run on 512Mb.

                          I thought it would improve things, but it's the only thing I've changed
                          since it last ran...

                          Regards Dave

                          From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                          <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>

                          > All of a sudden my machine won't jog fast, holding the shift key and when
                          > homing it hits and comes off the Y axis switch OK but Mach then says it's
                          > hit a limit switch and stops there...
                          >
                          > Have I got a setting wrong?
                          >
                          > Regards Dave K

                        • quadconversions
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
                            Hello Rupert,

                            NC. I cut the wires to the X axis switches and twisted them together to
                            complete the circuit. This stopped the LEDs flashing as it tripped, but
                            still Mach trips and says 'limit switch triggered' without a flash of LEDs.

                            I think Dave might be right and something is on it's last legs. Although
                            the DDR2 RAM cards fitted the slots I did notice they were a different
                            voltage rating.... maybe they are sucking the life out of another component..

                            I'm tempted to buy an oscilloscope and start probing stuff.

                            I'm not even moving the machine, it just sits there and trips. Yesterday
                            it missed steps a couple of times and then cut perfectly for 2 hours...
                            today it can't get off the start line.

                            Regards Dave

                            --

                            yvt

                            Rupert Wenig
                            Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

                            email: rwenig2@...

                            http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/

                          • chuck
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
                              Dave,
                              one of the first questions to ask when troubleshooting is what changed.
                              you say you changed memory chips.
                              so un-change them while your in there see if maybe something got moved or loosened in the process.
                              if the problem is still there than you've eliminated one possibility so move on to the next logical cause.
                              just my 2 cents,
                              Chuck

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
                                I'm just debating wether I should drive up to work and try that or go to
                                bed. It's tomorrow already here.... It will be my first job when the sun
                                comes up.

                                Regards Dave

                                --

                                yvt

                                Rupert Wenig
                                Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

                                email: rwenig2@...

                                http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/

                              • Jim Bell
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
                                  My limit switches are wired normally closed. If you wire the switches that way and configure Mach3 to handle the normally closed switch, it is the much preferred connection method. If a wire breaks or gets disconnected, the limit will be on and you will know that there is a problem. If wired normally open, if a wire breaks or get disconnected, you will only know when you reach the limit and the carriage tries to keep going.
                                  Another reason, which may directly apply here, is that when the switches are wired normally closed, the limit signal is "grounded" by the switch being closed and the wiring from the switch to the interface box is MUCH less susceptible to noise.

                                  My switches here are high quality micro-switches. When I first installed them, I would sometimes get a x axis limit error after the carriage would cross a certain point. After much troubleshooting, the problem was a brand new defective switch. Replacing the switch fixed the problem and no more false limit problems. You may have a defective switch in your system.
                                  Hope this helps.
                                • quadconversions
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
                                    Yes. these things dominate Ebay at the moment...

                                    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roller-Arm-Type-AC-Limit-Switch-For-CNC-Mill-Plasm
                                    a-ME-8108-High-Quality-WST-/271237215814?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Sup
                                    plies_ET&hash=item3f26ff7646

                                    I thought I would just see if there was an Oscilloscope App for smart
                                    phones... blow me there is...

                                    http://www.oscilloscopeapp.com/

                                    and this one with the sensor through the audio jack...

                                    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.serverbox.android.osciprime
                                    &hl=en

                                    Regards Dave

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
                                      Sorry misread, microphone.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
                                        Dave,
                                        May I suggest to take a continuity reading on the complete switch
                                        circuit. Flex the wires when you do it plus actuate the switches to make
                                        sure they are working right. From what I read, I suspect you have a
                                        broken wire somewhere or a bad switch.

                                        As mentioned, ram cards need to match the motherboard on a computer.
                                        All kinds of funny stuff can happen if they don't match.

                                        Rupert

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jul 21, 2013
                                          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Bell" <jiminwoodstock@...> wrote:

                                          > My limit switches are wired normally closed. If you wire the switches that way and configure Mach3 to handle the normally closed switch, it is the much preferred connection method. If a wire breaks or gets disconnected, the limit will be on and you will know that there is a problem. If wired normally open, if a wire breaks or get disconnected, you will only know when you reach the limit and the carriage tries to keep going.
                                          > Another reason, which may directly apply here, is that when the switches are wired normally closed, the limit signal is "grounded" by the switch being closed and the wiring from the switch to the interface box is MUCH less susceptible to noise.
                                          >
                                          > My switches here are high quality micro-switches. When I first installed them, I would sometimes get a x axis limit error after the carriage would cross a certain point. After much troubleshooting, the problem was a brand new defective switch. Replacing the switch fixed the problem and no more false limit problems. You may have a defective switch in your system.
                                          > Hope this helps.

                                          Additional info...
                                          My limit switches are wired from ground to the interface board inputs. The interface board is configured so that +5v is present until the switch is closed which will bring the input to 0V. This way any possible noise on the wire is shunted to ground by the normally closed switch.