Re: [mach1mach2cnc] IJ code, Noise and Earths

  • quadconversions
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18, 2013
      I like IJ code in my Gcode, it's less Karate and more Tai Chi in the park.
      :0)

      I've been using a Makita router on my machine all this time, until the
      speed controller burnt out the other day.
      The switch on the router is a 3 way thing with a brake, so I extended the
      wires to run the length of my 8 foot machine to place the switch near the
      controls. It's been fine.

      I was going to go Chinese water cooled spindle but adding it all up with
      radiator, fans water pump etc it came to over $1000 and a days down time, so
      I bought another Makita and I'm up and running. This time I thought I
      would simplify the wiring and leave the switch on the router, turned on. I
      fitted a simple switch on the power cord to the router. 10 mins into a job the
      X axis dithered, lost steps and eventually hit a limit switch.

      After much wire moving and more lost steps, I scratched my head and
      thought.. better put it back the way it was. I extended the switch again, meaning
      there is now high voltage running down 2 instead of one wire...

      But, it seems to work. I''ve got a 4 hour job today so I'll know for sure.
      I hate noise, you can't trust your machine.

      It was messing about with wires that I realised my machine is not earthed
      to the 240v mains anywhere!
      All my shields run to the same point on my alloy control box and the power
      earth runs to both the power supplies, but that's it.

      Should I be splicing into the main power lead in and running mains earths
      to the machine and the alloy control box???

      Regards Dave K