Re: z axis missing steps

  • cd_edwards2002
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 17, 2013
      we went through all this when I first bought the SSENC. The reason I found out about the separate power was when I couldn't reboot the computer one day (it's on a UPS so was running for quite awhile). I had a separate BOB attached to a secondary parallel port for some extra switches. When I detached the cable to the parallel port, all of a sudden the computer was able to boot. As long as the cable was attached to the computer it would not boot at all. Everything worked as it should with the cable attached after the boot. When I rebuilt my table I decided to give the smoothstepper one more try. I placed the smoothstepper in the control box wired to a PS that powered the control box electronics instead of hooked into the PC power supply. Whatever condition was causing the SSENC to loose/gain steps on Z with my table is gone. I suspect a ground loop or a ground loop with noise.

      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Birt" <birt_j@...> wrote:

      > That does not sound right. Using an external power supply will help
      > eliminate communication errors, but a communication error will drop the USB
      > connection not cause lost steps. Also. the SmoothStepper is unique in that
      > it counts the steps it puts out and updates Mach3's DROs with the actual
      > number of steps that were produced. The only way for there to be lost steps
      > would be that the driver does not see the step or the motor is prevented
      > from moving. I have found that 99% of the time 'lost steps' are due to
      > optimistic motor tuning values or trying to cut too fast for the conditions.
      >

      > Jeff Birt
      >
      > Soigeneris.com

    • Jeffrey Birt
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 17, 2013
        <<we went through all this when I first bought the SSENC. The reason I found
        out about the separate power was when I couldn't reboot the computer one day
        (it's on a UPS so was running for quite awhile). I had a separate BOB
        attached to a secondary parallel port for some extra switches. When I
        detached the cable to the parallel port, all of a sudden the computer was
        able to boot. As long as the cable was attached to the computer it would not
        boot at all. Everything worked as it should with the cable attached after
        the boot.>>

        I'm not sure what this part has to do with the Ethernet SmoothStepper as it
        sounds like a problem with the PC or the parallel port card. Just to be
        clear I think you have just the Ethernet SmoothStepper as the SSENC is a
        SmoothStepper in an aluminum enclosure with a 5V power supply.

        When I rebuilt my table I decided to give the smoothstepper one more try. I
        placed the smoothstepper in the control box wired to a PS that powered the
        control box electronics instead of hooked into the PC power supply. Whatever
        condition was causing the SSENC to loose/gain steps on Z with my table is
        gone. I suspect a ground loop or a ground loop with noise.

        So you had the SmoothStepper mounted at the PC? I do not recommend powering
        the Ethernet SmoothStepper by the PC, that bypasses the isolation provided
        by the Ethernet connection. Using an external power supply is the way to go.
        Also keep in mind that it is best to use a separate power supply from the
        stepper motor power supply or you will be bypassing the optical isolation of
        the G540.

        One thing I have seen cause a problem is folks setting the axis frequencies
        all the way up combined with having the controller frequency set low. This
        can lead to rounding issues in the SmoothStepper. I include a formula here:
        http://www.soigeneris.com/Document/Warp9/Installing_and_Configuring_the_Ethe
        rnet_SmoothStepper.pdf on the last page that goes through how to calculate
        the proper settings.

        I'm not trying to be pedantic but rather get to the root of the problem so
        that others who may be having a similar issue know where to start looking.
        At any rate I'm glad it is working for you now.

        Jeff Birt

        Soigenreis.com

        <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , "Jeffrey Birt" <birt_j@...>