Re: z axis missing steps

  • d_frycz
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 16, 2013
      The smoothstepper is powered from the control box
      from a dedicated power supply.

      I will check the wiring out. but since I changed the motor tuning
      setpoints in Mach 3 it has not lost any steps.

      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Colten Edwards <cd.edwards@...> wrote:

      > How is your smoothstepper powered? From the computer or from your control box? I had a problem similar to this. I was either loosing or gaining steps depending on the direction of the winds. I even gave up on the smoothstepper. Eventually I tried powering it from the control box and got rid oh the ground loop . Hasn't missed a step since
      >

      > Sent from my iPhone

    • cd_edwards2002
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 17, 2013
        we went through all this when I first bought the SSENC. The reason I found out about the separate power was when I couldn't reboot the computer one day (it's on a UPS so was running for quite awhile). I had a separate BOB attached to a secondary parallel port for some extra switches. When I detached the cable to the parallel port, all of a sudden the computer was able to boot. As long as the cable was attached to the computer it would not boot at all. Everything worked as it should with the cable attached after the boot. When I rebuilt my table I decided to give the smoothstepper one more try. I placed the smoothstepper in the control box wired to a PS that powered the control box electronics instead of hooked into the PC power supply. Whatever condition was causing the SSENC to loose/gain steps on Z with my table is gone. I suspect a ground loop or a ground loop with noise.

        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Birt" <birt_j@...> wrote:

        > That does not sound right. Using an external power supply will help
        > eliminate communication errors, but a communication error will drop the USB
        > connection not cause lost steps. Also. the SmoothStepper is unique in that
        > it counts the steps it puts out and updates Mach3's DROs with the actual
        > number of steps that were produced. The only way for there to be lost steps
        > would be that the driver does not see the step or the motor is prevented
        > from moving. I have found that 99% of the time 'lost steps' are due to
        > optimistic motor tuning values or trying to cut too fast for the conditions.
        >

        > Jeff Birt
        >
        > Soigeneris.com

      • Jeffrey Birt
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 17, 2013
          <<we went through all this when I first bought the SSENC. The reason I found
          out about the separate power was when I couldn't reboot the computer one day
          (it's on a UPS so was running for quite awhile). I had a separate BOB
          attached to a secondary parallel port for some extra switches. When I
          detached the cable to the parallel port, all of a sudden the computer was
          able to boot. As long as the cable was attached to the computer it would not
          boot at all. Everything worked as it should with the cable attached after
          the boot.>>

          I'm not sure what this part has to do with the Ethernet SmoothStepper as it
          sounds like a problem with the PC or the parallel port card. Just to be
          clear I think you have just the Ethernet SmoothStepper as the SSENC is a
          SmoothStepper in an aluminum enclosure with a 5V power supply.

          When I rebuilt my table I decided to give the smoothstepper one more try. I
          placed the smoothstepper in the control box wired to a PS that powered the
          control box electronics instead of hooked into the PC power supply. Whatever
          condition was causing the SSENC to loose/gain steps on Z with my table is
          gone. I suspect a ground loop or a ground loop with noise.

          So you had the SmoothStepper mounted at the PC? I do not recommend powering
          the Ethernet SmoothStepper by the PC, that bypasses the isolation provided
          by the Ethernet connection. Using an external power supply is the way to go.
          Also keep in mind that it is best to use a separate power supply from the
          stepper motor power supply or you will be bypassing the optical isolation of
          the G540.

          One thing I have seen cause a problem is folks setting the axis frequencies
          all the way up combined with having the controller frequency set low. This
          can lead to rounding issues in the SmoothStepper. I include a formula here:
          http://www.soigeneris.com/Document/Warp9/Installing_and_Configuring_the_Ethe
          rnet_SmoothStepper.pdf on the last page that goes through how to calculate
          the proper settings.

          I'm not trying to be pedantic but rather get to the root of the problem so
          that others who may be having a similar issue know where to start looking.
          At any rate I'm glad it is working for you now.

          Jeff Birt

          Soigenreis.com

          <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , "Jeffrey Birt" <birt_j@...>