Re: Get some light at the spindle!

  • David
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2013
      Hi Werner,

      Another solution is a circular ring light commonly used to highlight headlights in newer cars. It is a circular ring bright LEDs powered by 12 V. I insulate the back of the ring with a liquid electrical tape product and attach magnets. I then place it around the spindle. It gives bright light at work interface, is shadowless, out of the way, cheap, and easy to remove. They are available on eBay. They produce a good amount of light with a 9 V battery so require very little in the way of wiring for a very portable light.

      I use them on mills and drill presses. They can also be used as ring lights on cameras for shadowless pictures. They are very handy.

      On my CNC mill I have one wired to a 12 V power supply that is powered anytime the mill is on. I can tell from across the room if the mill is powered.

      If the magnets will not stick to the tool, I glue a couple of small washers to the tool above the spindle which hold the ring light firmly in place.

      All the best,
      David