Re: [mach1mach2cnc] stepper drivers.

  • Peter Homann
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 9, 2013
      Hi John,

      Have a look at the Gecko G540. It is a complete 4 axis driver system capable
      of driving 4 steppers at 3.5A/ph. It should be ideal for driving the size of
      motors you are looking at. The G540 is arguably the performance and
      reliability benchmark for driving Nema23 motors.

      http://www.homanndesigns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24&products_id=80

      Also have a look at the Schematic I've done for wiring the G540 into a full
      featured stepper controller.
      http://www.homanndesigns.com/pdfs/EN010_V8.pdf

      Cheers,

      Peter

      On 9/07/2013 10:50 PM, johngo602000 wrote:
      > I've just finished constructing my cnc router and at the stage of purchasing the drivers, can any one suggest what is currently on the market that is stable and reliable. I'll be using Mach3 driving three axises using Nema 23 270oz. I tried looking through e bay and became totally confused I built my first router many years ago and the drivers in it are extinct. any help would be greatly appreciated.
      > Regards John.

      eStore: http://www.homanndesigns.com/store
      Web : http://www.homanndesigns.com ModIO - Modbus Interface Unit
      email : peter@... DigiSpeed - Isolated 10Vdc I/F
      Phone : +61 421 601 665 TurboTaig - Taig Mill Upgrade board
    • Jamie Cunningham
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 9, 2013
        I've used both the Gecko products and the HobbyCNC products and for me both
        were very stable

        Jamie
        Check out my CNC projects (and more) at http://www.backyardworkshop.com

        On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 8:50 AM, johngo602000 <johngo1@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I've just finished constructing my cnc router and at the stage of
        > purchasing the drivers, can any one suggest what is currently on the market
        > that is stable and reliable. I'll be using Mach3 driving three axises using
        > Nema 23 270oz. I tried looking through e bay and became totally confused I
        > built my first router many years ago and the drivers in it are extinct. any
        > help would be greatly appreciated.
        > Regards John.

      • jhuff1957
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 9, 2013
          Goto CNCRouterParts and get the Gecko 540 they have the best support
          around and the 540 is the best.
          On Tue 07/09/13 8:50 AM , "johngo602000" johngo1@...
          sent:
          I've just finished constructing my cnc router and at the stage of
          purchasing the drivers, can any one suggest what is currently on the
          market that is stable and reliable. I'll be using Mach3 driving three
          axises using Nema 23 270oz. I tried looking through e bay and became
          totally confused I built my first router many years ago and the
          drivers in it are extinct. any help would be greatly appreciated.
          Regards John.

        • Jeffrey Birt
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 9, 2013
            For small to medium machines it is very hard to beat the Gecko G540. It is a
            four axis stepper drive with built in optically isolated Break Out Board. If
            you add up the price of buying all the parts to make an equivalent system
            you will be paying more (and spending a lot more time hooking things up.) I
            have built hundreds of systems with the G540 and had very good success.

            You will also need a power supply that will work well with your stepper
            motors and driver. Up to a point a higher voltage power supply will yield
            better performance, past that point more voltage only makes the motor
            hotter. With a 270 oz-in motor your likely in the inductance range that a
            48V power supply would be ideal but if you can post the specs of your
            steppers I can offer more precise advice. The very cheap stepper drives you
            are likely to find on EBay are typically made with an 'off the shelf'
            stepper driver chip that will have a maximum voltage of about 24V. Many of
            these are of questionable construction and require removing parts and
            rewiring to work properly. (There have been a lot of threads on here and the
            Mach3 forum about these cheap import drives.)

            If you want you can take a look at my website, I carry the G540s and
            accessories for it as well as compatible power supplies.
            http://www.soigeneris.com/gecko_g540-details.aspx

            Jeff Birt

            Soigeneris.com

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 9, 2013
              I concur with the other Guys talking about the G540! I used to use the TB6560. The day I bought a Gecko G540 and did some side by side comparison I was shocked and amazed at the difference in performance. The next day I bought two more of them and immediately switched out the machines I had running on the these TB6560s with G540s, best thing I ever did! The machines ran smoother used less current, and the motors made a much different sound that to me was more like Bach the heavy metal!
              Happy building!

              https://www.dropbox.com/s/32fg9qwdxhjc4xx/2013-04-01%2010_21_48_1024x577.jpg

              Werner Berry

              --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Birt" <birt_j@...> wrote:

              > For small to medium machines it is very hard to beat the Gecko G540. It is a
              > four axis stepper drive with built in optically isolated Break Out Board. If
              > you add up the price of buying all the parts to make an equivalent system
              > you will be paying more (and spending a lot more time hooking things up.) I
              > have built hundreds of systems with the G540 and had very good success.
              >

              > You will also need a power supply that will work well with your stepper
              > motors and driver. Up to a point a higher voltage power supply will yield
              > better performance, past that point more voltage only makes the motor
              > hotter. With a 270 oz-in motor your likely in the inductance range that a
              > 48V power supply would be ideal but if you can post the specs of your
              > steppers I can offer more precise advice. The very cheap stepper drives you
              > are likely to find on EBay are typically made with an 'off the shelf'
              > stepper driver chip that will have a maximum voltage of about 24V. Many of
              > these are of questionable construction and require removing parts and
              > rewiring to work properly. (There have been a lot of threads on here and the
              > Mach3 forum about these cheap import drives.)
              >

              > If you want you can take a look at my website, I carry the G540s and
              > accessories for it as well as compatible power supplies.
              > http://www.soigeneris.com/gecko_g540-details.aspx
              >

              > Jeff Birt
              >
              > Soigeneris.com

            • Thayer Syme
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 9, 2013
                >I've just finished constructing my cnc router and at the stage of
                >purchasing the drivers, can any one suggest what is currently on
                >the market that is stable and reliable. I'll be using Mach3 driving
                >three axises using Nema 23 270oz. I tried looking through e bay and
                >became totally confused I built my first router many years ago and
                >the drivers in it are extinct. any help would be greatly appreciated.
                >Regards John.

                John,

                My vote is another "me too" on the Gecko. I am using one with my A2Z
                CNC Monster Mill, 3 282 oz.-in. Keling steppers (KL23H276-30-8B) and
                their 36v power supply. I connect a Sherline rotary table to the 4th
                driver at times. Setting it up was very easy and I haven't had any
                issues with it for the last 4 years. Am using a Radio Shack Relay to
                toggle the spindle and, when milling wood, the shop vac.

                Thayer
              • Tony Smith
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 9, 2013
                  > machines I had running on the these TB6560s with G540s, best thing I ever
                  > did! The machines ran smoother used less current, and the motors made a
                  > much different sound that to me was more like Bach the heavy metal!
                  > Happy building!
                  >
                  > https://www.dropbox.com/s/32fg9qwdxhjc4xx/2013-04-
                  > 01%2010_21_48_1024x577.jpg

                  Is that my imagination, or is the heatsink on the right-hand one on a bit of
                  a lean?

                  Did you change the power supply as well? What voltage were you running the
                  TB6560s on?

                  Tony
                • alldaylong
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 9, 2013
                    --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "johngo602000" <johngo1@...> wrote:

                    > I've just finished constructing my cnc router and at the stage of purchasing the drivers, can any one suggest what is currently on the market that is stable and reliable. I'll be using Mach3 driving three axises using Nema 23 270oz. I tried looking through e bay and became totally confused I built my first router many years ago and the drivers in it are extinct. any help would be greatly appreciated.
                    > Regards John.

                    Ok, I use for a long time the stmd for up to 3Amps and Geko for up to 7 amps motors, I never had a problem with those drivers.
                    Both are for 10 micro steps per step and using the higher recomended voltage for the driver board used.
                    very good quality, reliable and good price
                    http://avrstmd.com/

                    Very good also, many options
                    http://www.geckodrive.com/

                    One more thing:
                    The best place on the internet for CNC machines information is here:
                    http://www.cnczone.com/

                    good luck, John.
                  • roly
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 19, 2013
                      Dear Group,

                      With much regret I am writing today to inform you all that my Dad had passed
                      away last week.

                      He mentioned your Group often and although he discussed your group I was
                      unsure of any friendships that may have been formed with his input over the
                      years.

                      I am unsubscribing to the group but for any further information or funeral
                      details please email my personal email on Outbacklu@...

                      Regards

                      Lynn

                    • David
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 20, 2013
                        So sorry to hear of your Dad's passing, Lynn.

                        Our sincere condolences for you and your family.

                        Dave