Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re:Water cooled spindle

  • Freeman P. Pascal IV
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 8, 2013
      Werner,

      Out of curiosity, what kind cutter and speeds/feeds were you using in those pictures? It was always my understanding that the these spindles could not run slow enough with any torque for steel.

      Although I suspected this might not be the case when I mistyped some gcode while surfacing my router table and sliced through the head of a steel bolt. There is a big difference between a Z move of 0.025" and 0.25" :-)

      -Freeman

    • aeroengraving
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 8, 2013
        Freeman,
        I only use Maritool's 3 flute end mills when machining steel. The sweet spot for doing pockets with 1/4" end mill (At least for my machine) is 4300 rpm 14 IPM. I built my machine much heavier duty than most and use it nearly every day. The point is I can do things with my machine no one else could, at least without a lot of experimentation. When I nail the setting I can machine steel as well as I can aluminum. I like to take a finish cut of about .003 that gives me the most beautiful finish and accurate cut. The real secret to doing it all day long is my Micro-Drop MD 1200. When I installed this device the game totally changed!! Faster speeds bigger chips even through polycarbonate and acrylic with small end mills like butter and much much longer life out of my tooling! The MD 1200 is an expensive device and I can remember the pain I had parting with my hard earned $ to get one. But after I started using it – best investment ever! Oooo and did I mention machining 5052 aluminum! Yeah It's awesome!
        ONE OF THE BIGGEST BENEFITS TO GOING WATER COOLED THAT YOU WILL NO DOUBT FIND IMMEDIATELY " is how quiet it is"! It is amazing!! I can talk on my cell standing right next to my machine. I have a lot of these motors and love them. By the way the last few I bought was from this Guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2-2KW-ENGRAVING-GRINDING-WATER-COOLED-MOTOR-SPINDLE-2-2KW-VFD-INVERTER-/200773029488?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebf014e70 The motors I ordered shipped from LA CA. I got it in two days from ordering. One of my motors was shipped without the tube fitting for the motor. I let the seller know that I was missing these parts and they did show up in about two weeks from China. For me this was not a problem as it was just a backup set motor/inverter that I still have sitting on the shelve: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wopcimucmejwwo2/2013-07-08%2017.18.36.jpg I did have some issues ordering from China suppliers on Ebay and was never able to get them to resolve it! The sent me a small .8 kw air cooled instead of a water cooled one. I got the idea the other day that I may use it to power a tail stock spindle I want to build for my Logan lathe. Just another prodject……..
        Happy building!
        Werner Berry