Fwd: Building The World's Smallest v12 Engine

  • Andrey Lipavsky
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2013
      This is incredible. And it actually runs. The visible portion of the turning looks CNC-smooth, so it should be within scope for this group.

      http://www.break.com/index/building-the-worlds-smallest-v12-engine-2475619

      Sincerely,
      Andrey Lipavsky
      www.EssexJewelers.com
      347-388-7208
    • shaun_wainford
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2013
        Its very good but I think it runs on air! or is this just for a test?

        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Andrey Lipavsky <andrey@...> wrote:

        > This is incredible. And it actually runs. The visible portion of the turning looks CNC-smooth, so it should be within scope for this group.
        >
        > http://www.break.com/index/building-the-worlds-smallest-v12-engine-2475619
        >

        > Sincerely,
        > Andrey Lipavsky
        > www.EssexJewelers.com
        > 347-388-7208

      • Terry Parker
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2013
          What you see is an air pump not a real engine. It is built as a 2 cycle with valves. Look at the cam gear ratios, they are 1:1 not 2:1 as it should be. The unsupported crank would not last long under running cylinder pressures.

          BUT it is a great example of machining small parts.

          Just a thought(;-) TP

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Andrey Lipavsky <andrey@...> wrote:

          > This is incredible. And it actually runs. The visible portion of the turning looks CNC-smooth, so it should be within scope for this group.
          >
          > http://www.break.com/index/building-the-worlds-smallest-v12-engine-2475619
          >

          > Sincerely,
          > Andrey Lipavsky
          > www.EssexJewelers.com
          > 347-388-7208

        • chuck
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2013
            it would appear you are correct Terry here's a blown V8 that is machined in a home shop that is a true running IC engine.
            not mine just a related video that's the real thing.

            http://www.break.com/video/ugc/worlds-smallest-v8-engine-410559

            Chuck

            What you see is an air pump not a real engine. It is built as a 2 cycle with valves. Look at the cam gear ratios, they are 1:1 not 2:1 as it should be. The unsupported crank would not last long under running cylinder pressures.

            BUT it is a great example of machining small parts.

            Just a thought(;-) TP

            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Andrey Lipavsky <andrey@...> wrote:

            > This is incredible. And it actually runs. The visible portion of the turning looks CNC-smooth, so it should be within scope for this group.
            >
            > http://www.break.com/index/building-the-worlds-smallest-v12-engine-2475619
            >

            > Sincerely,
            > Andrey Lipavsky
            > www.EssexJewelers.com
            > 347-388-7208

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 2013
              Oh terry you big spoil sport

              Terry Parker <vmax549@...> wrote:

              >What you see is an air pump not a real engine. It is built as a 2 cycle with valves. Look at the cam gear ratios, they are 1:1 not 2:1 as it should be. The unsupported crank would not last long under running cylinder pressures.
              >
              >BUT it is a great example of machining small parts.
              >
              >Just a thought(;-) TP
              >

              >--- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Andrey Lipavsky <andrey@...> wrote:
              >>

              >> This is incredible. And it actually runs. The visible portion of the turning looks CNC-smooth, so it should be within scope for this group.
              >>
              >> http://www.break.com/index/building-the-worlds-smallest-v12-engine-2475619
              >>

              >> Sincerely,
              >> Andrey Lipavsky
              >> www.EssexJewelers.com
              >> 347-388-7208

            • Lynn Kasdorf
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 1, 2013
                If you folks ever get a chance to attend the Cabin Fever Expo in York,
                PA, there are always several functioning teeny engines that are just
                mindblowing.

                There was an older fellow who had made several miniature radial engines-
                with pistons about 1/4" diameter or smaller- complete with rings! Amazing.

                Still, this V12 represents some excellent miniature machining.

                Lynn Kasdorf
              • Steve Blackmore
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 1, 2013
                  On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 13:41:54 -0400, you wrote:

                  >This is incredible. And it actually runs. The visible portion of the turning looks CNC-smooth, so it should be within scope for this group.

                  The crank is clearly being hand turned at 1min 31 seconds in..

                  Steve Blackmore