MIl Wizard lead in/out strategy

  • davesage12@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2013
      In the new mill wizards is there a way to control the lead in /out strategy.

      Here's the situation:
      I have a circular boss that I have rough machined a bit oversized on the lathe. I want to clean it up to final diameter on the mill. So I set the part down on the mill with the boss center hole as the 0/0 point.
      I know the outside diameter I want for the boss so I use the wizard to do a circle of the desired diameter using the "outside" option. So far so good.
      It is not acceptable to approach from or leave to the side of this boss. There are features beside it.
      When I look at the Gcode it does a straight plunge down into the work to begin a spiral which is fine but at the end it does an arc lead out (which is not acceptable) away from the boss instead of a straight Z lift.

      I looked at the "groove" function and it does a straight plunge in and out which makes sense since it's a groove so I'll use that but I tend to like to use functions where I don't have to calculate half the diameter and add the size of the cutter etc. etc. It's nicer to let the wizard to do the work and let me enter what I know.

      So back to the question:
      Is there a way to control the type and direction of the lead in / out.
      I'm familiar with SheetCam which has control over type and even the position around the circle where the leads will occur.

      I can supply the Gcode produced if required.

      Sage
    • Ron Ginger
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2013
        Brian and I were talking about this this morning. First the simple
        answer, no the user cannot control it.

        I think we use a couple different ways now. In the rectangle I made the
        lead in radius to be the tool radius. I think Brian used a fixed value
        in one he did. I am going to go through and make it consistent.

        The wizard will never be sheetcam- wizards are supposed to be for the
        quick, common, simple jobs. We are not looking to be a CAM system.
        Problem is to choose that point where wizards end and we enter CAM realm.

        ron ginger

        > So back to the question:
        > Is there a way to control the type and direction of the lead in / out.
        > I'm familiar with SheetCam which has control over type and even the position around the circle where the leads will occur.
        >
        > I can supply the Gcode produced if required.
        >
        > Sage
      • Terry Parker
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2013
          HIYA RON We are not expecting a CAM system just a good conversational one. Cutting some simple pockets and drilling some holes won't get you far in a job shop trying to make money.

          Conversational programming is VERY popular and saves $$ these days over Cam programming small jobs.

          Hard to refuse any $ work these days BUT if you cannot make any $$ you have to refuse it. Conversational can keep you competitive with small jobs.

          Just a thought, (;-) TP