User Manual for Mach 4

  • davekelloggs
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2013
      Hi Brian,

      I'm not trying to rush the cooks, but ...

      I'm planning to use Mach4 on a new CNC mill build. I've been studying the "Mach3 CNC Controller Software Installation and Configuration" manual, v3 (which, BTW, I find to be an exellent, well written manual).

      Q1: In what timeframe do you hope to have a comparible manual available for Mach4? Same time as Mach4 release? Three weeks later? Three months later? Three seasons later?

      In the mean time, are there any preliminary documents for Mach4 available? I'm particularly interested in how discrete I/O (limit switches et al) will be handled, as well as more info about conecting to motion controllers.

      Q2: I'm leaning toward DynoMotion's Kflop with servos. Do you have suggestions for other motion controllers I should also consider?

      Q3: With the birth of Mach4, what will be the relative merits of an Ethernet vs USB interface to the motion controller? Are there any technical reasons to favor one interface over the other?

      Thanks!!
      Dave Kellogg
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 28, 2013
        Hello Dave,
        See comments bellow:
        > Q1: In what timeframe do you hope to have a comparible manual available for Mach4? Same time as Mach4 release? Three weeks later? Three months later? Three seasons later?
        As soon as we can :) I would like to think the manual will be done at
        the same time the release is ready to go out. There will not be a manual
        for beta...
        > In the mean time, are there any preliminary documents for Mach4 available? I'm particularly interested in how discrete I/O (limit switches et al) will be handled, as well as more info about conecting to motion controllers.
        That data is about the same! so I think you will see many of the same
        things in the manual (no logic in throwing out a good section of the
        manual!)
        > Q2: I'm leaning toward DynoMotion's Kflop with servos. Do you have suggestions for other motion controllers I should also consider?
        Ahh.. I don't get into that :) To me they all have there strong points!

        > Q3: With the birth of Mach4, what will be the relative merits of an Ethernet vs USB interface to the motion controller? Are there any technical reasons to favor one interface over the other?
        Ethernet, I think everyone can universally say that it has less trouble
        with noise. USB has a shared ground plane and most times this is not an
        issue. but there are times when it is a major problem :( . On a nice low
        noise system I think they are equal..

        > Thanks!!
        > Dave Kellogg

      • Bay. Wald
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 11, 2013
          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "davekelloggs" <dave.kellogg@...> wrote:
          ...> Q3: With the birth of Mach4, what will be the relative merits of an Ethernet vs USB interface to the motion controller? Are there any technical reasons to favor one interface over the other?

          > Thanks!!
          > Dave Kellogg

          I can strongly recommend Ethernet.
          Since I installed the smooth stepper Ethernet all problems are gone. All is working perfectly.

          Regards
          Harry