Re: Mach3 Motors encoder/no encoder

  • tesla_turbine
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 21, 2013
      Gaston,

      Sorry for the delay in replying.

      I used them on a mill conversion.

      To set your radius vs diameter modes I have two suggestions. One is to add a second DRO readout on your screen and have it 'do the math' to display the other value. For example, if the default is radius, have the second DRO show twice that value.

      Peter

      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Gaston Gagnon <gaston.gagnon@...> wrote:

      > Peter, you use encoder on a lathe or mill?
      > I did the same on my lathe for manual operation but then the encoder DRO is
      > by nature in radius mode.
      > I wish I could find a way to change change it from radius to diameter mode
      > at will.
      >
      > You can see pictures of my setup here:
      > http://public.fotki.com/Gaston-Gagnon/taig-micro-lathe-1/encoder-for-cnc-manual/pictures/
      > Gaston
      >

      > On 17/06/2013 5:20 PM, Peter Barratt wrote:
      > > Chris,
      > >
      > > I use encoders on my stepper setup. It serves as a low cost DRO. The
      > > display is on the Settings tab. Note this is NOT the DRO readout on the
      > > Program Run tab. Those DROs tell you where Mach THINKS the tool is
      > > because that's where it told the machine to go. The actual readout on
      > > the Settings tab is where the machine really is.
      > >
      > > I put the encoders on the back of the steppers using dual shaft motors.
      > > I had to add some electronics to drive the BOB from the encoders as they
      > > did not have enough drive. I have been very happy with the results. I
      > > make a lot of use of them when I use the machine in manual mode. (Yes,
      > > there are still times when manual mode is nice.) Using 2000 steps per
      > > rev encoders on 5mm screws with 1:1 gearing on the table gives me a
      > > resolution of .0001". Using the encoders, I am also able to measure the
      > > backlash of my machine and the repeatability.
      > >
      > > Note that encoders on the motors gives an accuracy equal to the accuracy
      > > of the screws. This is not going to be as good as using linear scales
      > > but it's a whole lot cheaper.
      > >
      > > Another benefit is that using a little more electronics, I am able to
      > > home all three axes to within .0001". I especially like this when
      > > restarting a job that was either halted in mid stream or takes too long
      > > to do all in one pass. As long as I leave the job clamped down, I can
      > > reset the table and know very precisely where I'm at. This function
      > > requires that the encoders have an index pulse output.
      > >
      > > Regards
      > >
      > > Peter

    • Gaston Gagnon
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 21, 2013
        Tanks Peter for answering,
        I thought of doing it as your first suggestion but I could not find a way
        to relate a DRO with the encoder DRO in real time.
        Right now I use encoder DRO (OEM 29) what DRO do you suggest to pick in the
        list of possible one ( I use MachScreen).
        This bring the second problem, buttons include BASIC codes to be executed
        when the button is depressed but how can this be done with the selected DRO
        so it follows the encoder DRO in real time?

        What would be your other suggestion?
        Gaston

        --

        On 21/06/2013 10:26 AM, tesla_turbine wrote:
        > Gaston,
        >
        > Sorry for the delay in replying.
        >
        > I used them on a mill conversion.
        >
        > To set your radius vs diameter modes I have two suggestions. One is to add a second DRO readout on your screen and have it 'do the math' to display the other value. For example, if the default is radius, have the second DRO show twice that value.
        >
        > Peter
        >
        > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Gaston Gagnon <gaston.gagnon@...> wrote:
        >> Peter, you use encoder on a lathe or mill?
        >> I did the same on my lathe for manual operation but then the encoder DRO is
        >> by nature in radius mode.
        >> I wish I could find a way to change change it from radius to diameter mode
        >> at will.
        >>
        >> You can see pictures of my setup here:
        >> http://public.fotki.com/Gaston-Gagnon/taig-micro-lathe-1/encoder-for-cnc-manual/pictures/
        >> Gaston
        >>

        >> On 17/06/2013 5:20 PM, Peter Barratt wrote:
        >>> Chris,
        >>>
        >>> I use encoders on my stepper setup. It serves as a low cost DRO. The
        >>> display is on the Settings tab. Note this is NOT the DRO readout on the
        >>> Program Run tab. Those DROs tell you where Mach THINKS the tool is
        >>> because that's where it told the machine to go. The actual readout on
        >>> the Settings tab is where the machine really is.
        >>>
        >>> I put the encoders on the back of the steppers using dual shaft motors.
        >>> I had to add some electronics to drive the BOB from the encoders as they
        >>> did not have enough drive. I have been very happy with the results. I
        >>> make a lot of use of them when I use the machine in manual mode. (Yes,
        >>> there are still times when manual mode is nice.) Using 2000 steps per
        >>> rev encoders on 5mm screws with 1:1 gearing on the table gives me a
        >>> resolution of .0001". Using the encoders, I am also able to measure the
        >>> backlash of my machine and the repeatability.
        >>>
        >>> Note that encoders on the motors gives an accuracy equal to the accuracy
        >>> of the screws. This is not going to be as good as using linear scales
        >>> but it's a whole lot cheaper.
        >>>
        >>> Another benefit is that using a little more electronics, I am able to
        >>> home all three axes to within .0001". I especially like this when
        >>> restarting a job that was either halted in mid stream or takes too long
        >>> to do all in one pass. As long as I leave the job clamped down, I can
        >>> reset the table and know very precisely where I'm at. This function
        >>> requires that the encoders have an index pulse output.
        >>>
        >>> Regards
        >>>
        >>> Peter

      • Ron Ginger
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 22, 2013
          Use a macropump. That is a VB script named macropump that runs 10 times
          each second. It can do the math, and trigger an alarm, or issue a stop
          command, or whatever you want it to do.

          There is a video on the machsupport site that explains it.

          ron ginger

          > This bring the second problem, buttons include BASIC codes to be executed
          > when the button is depressed but how can this be done with the selected DRO
          > so it follows the encoder DRO in real time?
          >
          > What would be your other suggestion?
          > Gaston
        • tesla_turbine
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 22, 2013
            Another approach is to assign another DRO to the same encoder inputs and set the counts per turn to a different value (2X, .5x or whatever). I tried this on my system by assigning the same encoder inputs to both the x and y axis on my mill, then setting the y axis counts per rev to one half the x axis value. Then zero both DROS. The two will now track in a 2:1 ratio.

            Hope this helps.

            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Ron Ginger <ronginger@...> wrote:

            > Use a macropump. That is a VB script named macropump that runs 10 times
            > each second. It can do the math, and trigger an alarm, or issue a stop
            > command, or whatever you want it to do.
            >
            > There is a video on the machsupport site that explains it.
            >
            > ron ginger
            >

            > > This bring the second problem, buttons include BASIC codes to be executed
            > > when the button is depressed but how can this be done with the selected DRO
            > > so it follows the encoder DRO in real time?
            > >
            > > What would be your other suggestion?
            > > Gaston

          • tesla_turbine
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 22, 2013
              Okay, next idea. Faster, easier, and tested.

              Create a brain. It takes one input, the X pos DRO coded as 29-MPG0, one formula, a * 2, and then terminate the formula lobe specifying your output DRO, ie: OEM code 1300. I tried it, it works. Brains are easier to create simple functions with and execute way faster then Macro pumps. The introduction to brains video on the Mach3 site will tell you more than you need in about 4 minutes.

              Let me know if I can help.

              Peter

              --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "tesla_turbine" <pbarratt@...> wrote:

              > Another approach is to assign another DRO to the same encoder inputs and set the counts per turn to a different value (2X, .5x or whatever). I tried this on my system by assigning the same encoder inputs to both the x and y axis on my mill, then setting the y axis counts per rev to one half the x axis value. Then zero both DROS. The two will now track in a 2:1 ratio.
              >
              > Hope this helps.
              >
              > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Ron Ginger <ronginger@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Use a macropump. That is a VB script named macropump that runs 10 times
              > > each second. It can do the math, and trigger an alarm, or issue a stop
              > > command, or whatever you want it to do.
              > >
              > > There is a video on the machsupport site that explains it.
              > >
              > > ron ginger
              > >

              > > > This bring the second problem, buttons include BASIC codes to be executed
              > > > when the button is depressed but how can this be done with the selected DRO
              > > > so it follows the encoder DRO in real time?
              > > >
              > > > What would be your other suggestion?
              > > > Gaston

            • Gaston Gagnon
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 23, 2013
                Thanks Ron and Peter,
                Yes brain was an elegant and rapid solution. I even integrated the
                Radius/Diameter mode (LED 92) so the DRO displays in the right X mode.

                Now it would be even better if the encoder would indicate the table
                position in the presence of backlash like Mach3 is doing it.
                Do you have any idea on how this can be done with brain? Is it even
                possible to access backlash value grammatically ?

                Gaston

                --

                On 22/06/2013 1:43 PM, tesla_turbine wrote:
                > Okay, next idea. Faster, easier, and tested.
                >
                > Create a brain. It takes one input, the X pos DRO coded as 29-MPG0, one formula, a * 2, and then terminate the formula lobe specifying your output DRO, ie: OEM code 1300. I tried it, it works. Brains are easier to create simple functions with and execute way faster then Macro pumps. The introduction to brains video on the Mach3 site will tell you more than you need in about 4 minutes.
                >
                > Let me know if I can help.
                >
                > Peter
                >
                > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "tesla_turbine" <pbarratt@...> wrote:
                >>

                >> Another approach is to assign another DRO to the same encoder inputs and set the counts per turn to a different value (2X, .5x or whatever). I tried this on my system by assigning the same encoder inputs to both the x and y axis on my mill, then setting the y axis counts per rev to one half the x axis value. Then zero both DROS. The two will now track in a 2:1 ratio.
                >>
                >> Hope this helps.
                >>
                >> --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Ron Ginger <ronginger@> wrote:
                >>> Use a macropump. That is a VB script named macropump that runs 10 times
                >>> each second. It can do the math, and trigger an alarm, or issue a stop
                >>> command, or whatever you want it to do.
                >>>
                >>> There is a video on the machsupport site that explains it.
                >>>
                >>> ron ginger

              • tesla_turbine
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 24, 2013
                  The subject of backlash compensation has always troubled me. I feel that backlash means you have an uncertainty as to where you are. Trying to compensate for it appears to need to make the assumption that the table cannot be driven by the tool bit, something that is definitely not true on a lathe cross slide (IMHO).

                  As to the answer to your question regarding accessing the backlash value, I went to the Machsupport.com web site to look some stuff up but the site has changed completely and the link to the Mach Wiki is broken.

                  Peter

                  --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Gaston Gagnon <gaston.gagnon@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks Ron and Peter,
                  > Yes brain was an elegant and rapid solution. I even integrated the
                  > Radius/Diameter mode (LED 92) so the DRO displays in the right X mode.
                  >
                  > Now it would be even better if the encoder would indicate the table
                  > position in the presence of backlash like Mach3 is doing it.
                  > Do you have any idea on how this can be done with brain? Is it even
                  > possible to access backlash value grammatically ?
                  >
                  > Gaston
                  >
                  > --
                  > /http://public.fotki.com/Gaston-Gagnon//
                  >
                  > On 22/06/2013 1:43 PM, tesla_turbine wrote:
                  > > Okay, next idea. Faster, easier, and tested.
                  > >
                  > > Create a brain. It takes one input, the X pos DRO coded as 29-MPG0, one formula, a * 2, and then terminate the formula lobe specifying your output DRO, ie: OEM code 1300. I tried it, it works. Brains are easier to create simple functions with and execute way faster then Macro pumps. The introduction to brains video on the Mach3 site will tell you more than you need in about 4 minutes.
                  > >
                  > > Let me know if I can help.
                  > >
                  > > Peter
                  > >
                  > > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "tesla_turbine" <pbarratt@> wrote:
                  > >>

                  > >> Another approach is to assign another DRO to the same encoder inputs and set the counts per turn to a different value (2X, .5x or whatever). I tried this on my system by assigning the same encoder inputs to both the x and y axis on my mill, then setting the y axis counts per rev to one half the x axis value. Then zero both DROS. The two will now track in a 2:1 ratio.
                  > >>
                  > >> Hope this helps.

                • Gaston Gagnon
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 24, 2013
                    Do you agree that the X axis backlash compensation works reasonably well on
                    Mach3turn?
                    Gaston
                    --

                    On 24/06/2013 3:09 PM, tesla_turbine wrote:
                    > The subject of backlash compensation has always troubled me. I feel that backlash means you have an uncertainty as to where you are. Trying to compensate for it appears to need to make the assumption that the table cannot be driven by the tool bit, something that is definitely not true on a lathe cross slide (IMHO).
                    >
                    > As to the answer to your question regarding accessing the backlash value, I went to the Machsupport.com web site to look some stuff up but the site has changed completely and the link to the Mach Wiki is broken.
                    >
                    > Peter
                    >
                    > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Gaston Gagnon <gaston.gagnon@...> wrote:
                    >> Thanks Ron and Peter,
                    >> Yes brain was an elegant and rapid solution. I even integrated the
                    >> Radius/Diameter mode (LED 92) so the DRO displays in the right X mode.
                    >>
                    >> Now it would be even better if the encoder would indicate the table
                    >> position in the presence of backlash like Mach3 is doing it.
                    >> Do you have any idea on how this can be done with brain? Is it even
                    >> possible to access backlash value grammatically ?
                    >>
                    >> Gaston
                    >>
                    >> --
                    >> /http://public.fotki.com/Gaston-Gagnon//
                    >>
                    >> On 22/06/2013 1:43 PM, tesla_turbine wrote:
                    >>> Okay, next idea. Faster, easier, and tested.
                    >>>
                    >>> Create a brain. It takes one input, the X pos DRO coded as 29-MPG0, one formula, a * 2, and then terminate the formula lobe specifying your output DRO, ie: OEM code 1300. I tried it, it works. Brains are easier to create simple functions with and execute way faster then Macro pumps. The introduction to brains video on the Mach3 site will tell you more than you need in about 4 minutes.
                    >>>
                    >>> Let me know if I can help.
                    >>>
                    >>> Peter

                  • tesla_turbine
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 25, 2013
                      Gaston,

                      Unfortunately I haven't converted my lathe to CNC yet and have no experience with Mach2turn. I don't use it with Mach3mill. There was some consequence with using backlash compensation that I don't recall. Whatever it was, I elected to not use it.

                    • Gaston Gagnon
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 26, 2013
                        Peter,
                        I see. I have no problem maintaining low backlash in my router but a little
                        harder to get rid of the 0.006" on the cross slide of my Taig lathe.
                        As far as I can see, Mach3 backlash mechanism seem to work well to
                        compensate for that problem but that does not apply to the encoder reading.
                        That is why I would like to implement the same mechanism to the encoder DRO
                        At this moment though, I just cannot wrap my head around an algorithm to do
                        just that.
                        Gaston
                        --

                        On 25/06/2013 2:08 PM, tesla_turbine wrote:
                        > Gaston,
                        >
                        > Unfortunately I haven't converted my lathe to CNC yet and have no experience with Mach2turn. I don't use it with Mach3mill. There was some consequence with using backlash compensation that I don't recall. Whatever it was, I elected to not use it.
                        >
                        > Peter
                        >
                        > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Gaston Gagnon <gaston.gagnon@...> wrote:
                        >> Do you agree that the X axis backlash compensation works reasonably well on
                        >> Mach3turn?
                        >> Gaston
                        >> --
                        >> /http://public.fotki.com/Gaston-Gagnon//
                        >>
                        >> On 24/06/2013 3:09 PM, tesla_turbine wrote:
                        >>> The subject of backlash compensation has always troubled me. I feel that backlash means you have an uncertainty as to where you are. Trying to compensate for it appears to need to make the assumption that the table cannot be driven by the tool bit, something that is definitely not true on a lathe cross slide (IMHO).
                        >>>
                        >>> As to the answer to your question regarding accessing the backlash value, I went to the Machsupport.com web site to look some stuff up but the site has changed completely and the link to the Mach Wiki is broken.
                        >>>
                        >>> Peter

                      • tesla_turbine
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 27, 2013
                          Gastom,

                          With the link to Machwiki fixed, I headed on over to look for something that might be useful. I suspect one or more of the OEM DROs might help but I haven't found a detailed description of their contents so no luck yet.

                          Peter

                          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Gaston Gagnon <gaston.gagnon@...> wrote:

                          > Peter,
                          > I see. I have no problem maintaining low backlash in my router but a little
                          > harder to get rid of the 0.006" on the cross slide of my Taig lathe.
                          > As far as I can see, Mach3 backlash mechanism seem to work well to
                          > compensate for that problem but that does not apply to the encoder reading.
                          > That is why I would like to implement the same mechanism to the encoder DRO
                          > At this moment though, I just cannot wrap my head around an algorithm to do
                          > just that.
                          > Gaston
                          > --
                        • Gaston Gagnon
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 27, 2013
                            Thanks Peter,
                            You are my only hope as no one else seem interested at this time in this
                            topic ;)
                            Seriously as much as it is an interesting challenge I don't think it has is
                            a very practical use.

                            At least it has permit me to use brains to get the encoder to display X
                            Radius/Diameter mode correctly and second I brushed up on the macropump use.

                            Gaston