RE: [mach1mach2cnc] anyone got a bigger machine than this?

  • fortino tan
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 18, 2013
      And it takes 220 years to build a house with 3d printer.
      http://www.learnxscape.com/220-years-needed-to-3d-print-a-big-house/
      Fortino

      To: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
      From: gcode.fi@...
      Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:35:27 +0200
      Subject: Re: [mach1mach2cnc] anyone got a bigger machine than this?

      Art, I thought You new better.

      Just calculate, at 0.01 mm resolution, and depositing 0.02 mm thick

      layers, at feed of 200 mm/min, how long it would take to make a single

      model.

      5 m/min x 150 m long= 750 minutes == 12 hours per pass.

      For 3 m width, at 0.01 mm, 30.000 passes/layer == 15.000 day == 5 years.

      For 2 m height, at 0.02 mm / layer, approx 100.000 layers == 500.000 years.

      Sometimes, the puffs in newspapapers re: 3d printing are just a bit off..

      grin ;)

      -hanermo

      --

      -hanermo

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 18, 2013
        You just need a different printer! It takes 220 years with a hobby
        plastic printer....

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehnzfGP6sq4

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yv-IWdSdns

        Dave

        On 6/18/2013 3:40 PM, fortino tan wrote:
        > And it takes 220 years to build a house with 3d printer.
        > http://www.learnxscape.com/220-years-needed-to-3d-print-a-big-house/
        > Fortino
        >
        > To: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
        > From: gcode.fi@...
        > Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:35:27 +0200
        > Subject: Re: [mach1mach2cnc] anyone got a bigger machine than this?

        > Art, I thought You new better.
        >
        > Just calculate, at 0.01 mm resolution, and depositing 0.02 mm thick
        >
        > layers, at feed of 200 mm/min, how long it would take to make a single
        >
        > model.
        >

        > 5 m/min x 150 m long= 750 minutes == 12 hours per pass.
        >
        > For 3 m width, at 0.01 mm, 30.000 passes/layer == 15.000 day == 5 years.
        >
        > For 2 m height, at 0.02 mm / layer, approx 100.000 layers == 500.000 years.
        >

        > Sometimes, the puffs in newspapapers re: 3d printing are just a bit off..
        >
        > grin ;)
        >

        > -hanermo
        >

        >> Make a heck of a 3d printer woudlnt it...
        >>

        >> Thanks,
        >>

        >> Art
        >>

        >> www.gearotic.com ___

      • cd_edwards2002
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 18, 2013
          yes, but does it make toast?

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Halliday" <dh@...> wrote:

          > This puppy is about 30 miles from where I live (near Bellingham, WA).
          >
          > http://www.janicki.com/index.php/5-axis-milling.html
          >
          > It does not beat the X-Axis bragging rights (100' as opposed to the 495' of
          > the other machine)
          >
          > But... It is a full five axis machine and is 20'Y by 8'Z with a combined
          > total error of a few thou.
          >
          > Not too shabby
          >
          > DaveH

        • art2
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 19, 2013
            Hanermo:

            >>Art, I thought You new better.

            lol. Yes, but technology scales upwards. With a machine like that, youd use a .01 mm PLACEMENT resolution,
            but the material would be a 10mm thick extrusion placed pretty quickly due to the thickness of the extrusion nozzle.
            ( You mix concrete in a bucket to make a block, in a mixer to make a wall of blocks, in a truck to make a foundation, 3d printing
            would have the same scaling effect as you get larger.... :-) )

            www.gearotic.com

            --
            -hanermo

          • shaun_wainford
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 19, 2013
              I read somewhere this is already being done the printer basically makes and places bricks like structures............

              You sacked your 3D printer project Art?

              Shaun :)