Mach 4 Keygrabber

  • ozzie34231
    Message 1 of 17 , May 31, 2013
      Will KeyGrabber work with the new program, Mach 4?
      Is there an advantage in using an I/O board rather than Keygrabber? (I already own a couple Wingman controls to butcher.)
      I've used KeyGrabber before but know nothing of I/O boards; what would be the choices and are there any recommendations.
      Thanks,
      Ozzie
    • boris.zalokar
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2013
        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "ozzie34231" <OzzieII@...> wrote:

        > Will KeyGrabber work with the new program, Mach 4?
        > Is there an advantage in using an I/O board rather than Keygrabber? (I already own a couple Wingman controls to butcher.)
        > I've used KeyGrabber before but know nothing of I/O boards; what would be the choices and are there any recommendations.
        > Thanks,
        > Ozzie

        For IO board, please check PoKeys: http://www.poscope.com/pokeys-io-devices.html
        It has 55 IO's which can be extended to more that 130 and a lot of functions.
        Mach4 plugin will be avaiable somewhere in june/july.
      • ozzie34231
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 1, 2013
          Thank you Boris,
          After posting yesterday I did some surfing and found Modio and Pokeys. ModIo doesn't have many inputs. Pokeys seems very complicated. I read some of the posts in the support forum and perused the manual. I didn't find any simple explanation for using it with Mach. What I found was stuff that required writing Brains; more complicated than I think I want to get. I only ever wrote one brain and that was a few years ago; I've totally forgotten how.
          I want to use two joysticks, X, Y, Z, A.
          Buttons to simulate custom screen buttons I've created.
          Two or three pots for feed override, jog percentage, ?
          Am I wrong about Pokeys?
          Ozzie

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "boris.zalokar" <zalokar.boris@...> wrote:

          > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "ozzie34231" <OzzieII@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Will KeyGrabber work with the new program, Mach 4?
          > > Is there an advantage in using an I/O board rather than Keygrabber? (I already own a couple Wingman controls to butcher.)
          > > I've used KeyGrabber before but know nothing of I/O boards; what would be the choices and are there any recommendations.
          > > Thanks,
          > > Ozzie
          > >

          > For IO board, please check PoKeys: http://www.poscope.com/pokeys-io-devices.html
          > It has 55 IO's which can be extended to more that 130 and a lot of functions.
          > Mach4 plugin will be avaiable somewhere in june/july.

        • Matevž Bošnak
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 1, 2013
            Hi, Ozzie

            PoKeys enables you to connect regular pots, switches, encoders, etc. to
            Mach3. You don't need Brains for this to function - just select/configure
            it in the PoKeys Mach3 plugin.

            Regards,
            Matevž

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 1, 2013
              Hello Ozzie,
              It is funny you are asking about that.. I am building the functionality
              of Key grabber into a Plugin. I am adding the tools to make the Hotkeys
              look at the state of the Num Lock, Shift Lock and Scroll Lock. This was
              done so you can turn on and off the CNC functions of the keyboard. The
              keys have no idea of focus.. for example if you pressed an arrow key in
              notepad the machine would move. So if you have the CNC set to take input
              from the keyboard you don't have to worry about focus ;) . I was
              thinking this is what made Key grabber good.. Mach4 has no real
              "hotkeys" it only knows inputs... So the Keyboard is only an input
              device and if the user would like to replace the "input" to be any other
              "input" (Use a pokeys/ModIO/P Port input rather then a keyboard input)
              that is not an issue.

              I am about 30% done this plugin.. I had one snag Friday but as soon as
              I get past that I should be able to keep pushing it out ;) . The config
              dialog seems to be the hardest part..

              > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "ozzie34231" <OzzieII@...> wrote:
              >> Will KeyGrabber work with the new program, Mach 4?
              >> Is there an advantage in using an I/O board rather than Keygrabber? (I already own a couple Wingman controls to butcher.)
              >> I've used KeyGrabber before but know nothing of I/O boards; what would be the choices and are there any recommendations.
              >> Thanks,
              >> Ozzie

            • ozzie34231
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 2, 2013
                Thanks Brian,
                I take that as a yes. That's cool.
                I'm still not getting much in reply for recommendations on the preferred way to go, KeyGrabber vs other, Pokeys? I guess the folks who wrote the docs for the Pokeys feel they are very understandable but in addition to being hard for me to grasp, there are contradictions depending on the doc one is reading. In one place it says the 56E does not support joysticks, and then in the Pokeys-Mach doc it says it does.!!!???
                It also appears that setting it to press a custom screen button, (one that initiates a short script) is complicated, whereas doing it with KeyGrabber only amounts to assigning that button a keyboard equivalent.
                The setup for analog control looks a shade complicated also.
                On the other hand if I can learn all that I might get better controls.
                I hope some others will chime in here.
                Ozzie

                --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Brian Barker <brianb@...> wrote:

                > Hello Ozzie,
                > It is funny you are asking about that.. I am building the functionality
                > of Key grabber into a Plugin. I am adding the tools to make the Hotkeys
                > look at the state of the Num Lock, Shift Lock and Scroll Lock. This was
                > done so you can turn on and off the CNC functions of the keyboard. The
                > keys have no idea of focus.. for example if you pressed an arrow key in
                > notepad the machine would move. So if you have the CNC set to take input
                > from the keyboard you don't have to worry about focus ;) . I was
                > thinking this is what made Key grabber good.. Mach4 has no real
                > "hotkeys" it only knows inputs... So the Keyboard is only an input
                > device and if the user would like to replace the "input" to be any other
                > "input" (Use a pokeys/ModIO/P Port input rather then a keyboard input)
                > that is not an issue.
                >
                > I am about 30% done this plugin.. I had one snag Friday but as soon as
                > I get past that I should be able to keep pushing it out ;) . The config
                > dialog seems to be the hardest part..
                >
                > Thanks
                > Brian
                >

                > > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "ozzie34231" <OzzieII@> wrote:
                > >> Will KeyGrabber work with the new program, Mach 4?
                > >> Is there an advantage in using an I/O board rather than Keygrabber? (I already own a couple Wingman controls to butcher.)
                > >> I've used KeyGrabber before but know nothing of I/O boards; what would be the choices and are there any recommendations.
                > >> Thanks,
                > >> Ozzie

              • Matevž Bošnak
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 2, 2013
                  Hi, Ozzy

                  On comparison KeyGrabber vs. PoKeys:
                  - if you are using standard peripheral device (existing joystick,
                  keyboard), the Keygrabber is the way to go.
                  - if you want to create your custom interface for the CNC machine (buttons
                  placement, custom joysticks, MPGs...), the PoKeys device is the way to go.

                  USB PoKeys emulates USB keyboard and joystick - to configure it, a free
                  intuitive graphical application is provided that enables you to configure
                  all functions. This can be used in any application on the system and does
                  not need any scripts. However, if you still want to execute the script, you
                  can do it identically to Keygrabber - you can easily configure a custom key
                  mapping for a specific PoKeys device input (activating the switch,
                  connected to this input, will simulate a key press).
                  More functions are available via PoKeys Mach3 plugin - this way you can
                  skip configuring the PoKeys device using PoKeys application and you can
                  specify which Mach3 functions you want to be activated with which input.
                  PoKeys56E on the other hand, is a network device. It can not emulate a USB
                  keyboard and joystick. However, with Mach3 plugin, analog inputs of the
                  PoKeys56E can be used as joystick axes for jogging.

                  Regards,
                  Matevž

                • ozzie34231
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 2, 2013
                    Thanks Matev,
                    I appreciate your help.
                    A lot of what you wrote helps me with some of the vagaries. The first paragraph is not clear to me, and I suspect that is because I do not have in mind what is possible with Pokeys beyond my own purposes.
                    The way I have operated Mach for almost ten years now has been totally with a keyboard and mouse. I've created screen-sets for both Milling machine and Lathe. On some of the pages of the screensets there are non-OEM buttons. One page has 15 buttons for electrical probing sequences; buttons with scripts attached. Other pages have a few and I have no idea how many screen buttons I want to emulate.
                    There is no good reason that prevents me from operating Mach with the same keyboard and mouse as in the past. But since I've decided to construct a bit of a console to hold the monitor and keyboard and trackball mouse, I thought it would be convenient and cool to include some buttons and joysticks and knobs, so I can be "Captain Kirk".
                    I've had a little experience with KeyGrabber. For me to create what I envision I must butcher two or three "Wingman joystick controllers" and run wires to the appropriate places from my new knobs and buttons and joysticks. That is a little more work than using Pokeys, but that's okay, it's only a hobby. On the other hand Pokeys is not very expensive.
                    I suppose I'm concerned about what I might not know. I must be getting very old because that never stopped me before.
                    Anyway thanks again, I'm clear on it now, ,,,,,,,,I think. ;-)
                    Ozzie

                    --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Matevž Bošnak <matevz.bosnak@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > notepad the machine would move. So if you have the CNC set to take input
                    > > > from the keyboard you don't have to worry about focus ;) . I was
                    > > > thinking this is what made Key grabber good.. Mach4 has no real
                    > > > "hotkeys" it only knows inputs... So the Keyboard is only an input
                    > > > device and if the user would like to replace the "input" to be any other
                    > > > "input" (Use a pokeys/ModIO/P Port input rather then a keyboard input)
                    > > > that is not an issue.
                    > > >
                    > > > I am about 30% done this plugin.. I had one snag Friday but as soon as
                    > > > I get past that I should be able to keep pushing it out ;) . The config
                    > > > dialog seems to be the hardest part..
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks
                    > > > Brian

                    > > (I already own a couple Wingman controls to butcher.)
                    > > would be the choices and are there any recommendations.

                  • Les Newell
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 3, 2013
                      Hi Brian,

                      You are welcome to grab any code or ideas from KG. The source should be
                      floating around in the files area. If not I've probably got a copy here.
                      > The config
                      > dialog seems to be the hardest part..

                      Heh. Yup, I had similar isue trying to figure out what to do with KG.

                      Les

                      On 02/06/2013 02:48, Brian Barker wrote:
                      > Hello Ozzie,
                      > It is funny you are asking about that.. I am building the functionality
                      > of Key grabber into a Plugin. I am adding the tools to make the Hotkeys
                      > look at the state of the Num Lock, Shift Lock and Scroll Lock. This was
                      > done so you can turn on and off the CNC functions of the keyboard. The
                      > keys have no idea of focus.. for example if you pressed an arrow key in
                      > notepad the machine would move. So if you have the CNC set to take input
                      > from the keyboard you don't have to worry about focus ;) . I was
                      > thinking this is what made Key grabber good.. Mach4 has no real
                      > "hotkeys" it only knows inputs... So the Keyboard is only an input
                      > device and if the user would like to replace the "input" to be any other
                      > "input" (Use a pokeys/ModIO/P Port input rather then a keyboard input)
                      > that is not an issue.
                      >
                      > I am about 30% done this plugin.. I had one snag Friday but as soon as
                      > I get past that I should be able to keep pushing it out ;) . The config
                      > dialog seems to be the hardest part..
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      > Brian

                    • cnc sales (hanermo)
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 3, 2013
                        I have tried various options ...
                        and I find that the Pokeys is VERY VERY VERY good for real MPGs.

                        Real as similar to industrial ones,
                        and where you can have more than one (I have 2 each of 60 and 80 mm
                        diameter at the moment, and will have more).

                        I think keygrabber and most all other solutions make it impossible to
                        have more than one device active/moving at a time.
                        I also think USB solutions cannot, currently, support more than 1 axis
                        simultaneous movement.

                        With Pokeys, you can twirl 2 separate axes at once, and both will move
                        reliably, consistently and under excellent tactile feel.
                        These are very similar to the industrial handwheels which form their guts.

                        I am now making a stainless steel box to hold these, and waiting for
                        more MPGs.
                        I am also refinishing my mill, and hope to get her done soon.
                        (25 mm ballscrew for Bridgeport head, and industrial AC servos,
                        brushless, for all axes.)

                        -- -hanermo
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 3, 2013
                          Hello Les,
                          I am using WX to do this so it will be supported in Linux and Mac as
                          well..I don't think you used WX for that so I am not sure it will help
                          :(. Using WX is a little limiting but I think it is going to be well
                          worth it ;) ... I may give out the source code for this one in the SDK.
                          I think it is a good demo of how to setup inputs and make an IO device.
                          Also if someone wants to make this better they can :).

                          On 6/3/2013 6:42 AM, Les Newell wrote:
                          > Hi Brian,
                          >
                          > You are welcome to grab any code or ideas from KG. The source should be
                          > floating around in the files area. If not I've probably got a copy here.
                          >> The config
                          >> dialog seems to be the hardest part..
                          > Heh. Yup, I had similar isue trying to figure out what to do with KG.
                          >
                          > Les

                        • Les Newell
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 3, 2013
                            Hi Brian,

                            That was done in Borland C++ Builder so as you say none of the GUI stuff
                            will be of much help. The lower level Windows keyboard message handling
                            stuff and the HID code may be of interest. Don't worry about the GPL - I
                            don't mind if you use any code in Mach.

                            These days I use wx for pretty much everything. Have you tried building
                            Mac and Linux versions? I have a lot of problems with the Linux version
                            of SheetCam due to the huge variation between different Linux distributions.

                            Les

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 3, 2013
                              Hello Les,
                              I have put my foot in the sand and said that we are only going to work
                              with CentOS. I am also thinking about saying that we will only work with
                              OEM PCs. Linux is wonderful but in my opinion they have hurt the
                              development of Linux with all the distros. Sure would be nice if we knew
                              what we needed to code against!

                              We have not had time to compile in Mac but we are looking forward to
                              that :) it is the exact opposite! We will will not have to worry about
                              drivers or anything ;)

                              On 6/3/2013 10:33 AM, Les Newell wrote:
                              > Hi Brian,
                              >
                              > That was done in Borland C++ Builder so as you say none of the GUI stuff
                              > will be of much help. The lower level Windows keyboard message handling
                              > stuff and the HID code may be of interest. Don't worry about the GPL - I
                              > don't mind if you use any code in Mach.
                              >
                              > These days I use wx for pretty much everything. Have you tried building
                              > Mac and Linux versions? I have a lot of problems with the Linux version
                              > of SheetCam due to the huge variation between different Linux distributions.
                              >
                              > Les
                              >
                              > On 03/06/2013 14:26, Brian Barker wrote:
                              >> Hello Les,
                              >> I am using WX to do this so it will be supported in Linux and Mac as
                              >> well..I don't think you used WX for that so I am not sure it will help
                              >> :(. Using WX is a little limiting but I think it is going to be well
                              >> worth it ;) ... I may give out the source code for this one in the SDK.
                              >> I think it is a good demo of how to setup inputs and make an IO device.
                              >> Also if someone wants to make this better they can :).
                              >>
                              >> Thanks
                              >> Brian

                            • Les Newell
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 3, 2013
                                Hi Brian,

                                Most Linux distros seem to have the attitude of 'if it isn't in our
                                repository you probably don't need it' which drives me crazy at times. I
                                do sometimes wonder how much time and money is wasted by all of these
                                distros effectively duplicating their efforts by trying to build
                                everything under the sun for their repository.

                                I didn't have much luck building a Mach version of SheetCam. It doesn't
                                help that I have zero Mac experience but my biggest problem was some
                                exception handling wierdness that I never tracked down.

                                Les

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 3, 2013
                                  The new Mac OS is based on BSD and Steve is an EX BSD programmer so I am
                                  in hopes that will help get us past the Mac oddities.. When we get it
                                  all working I could see about sending you a project to look at

                                  On 6/3/2013 11:19 AM, Les Newell wrote:
                                  > Hi Brian,
                                  >
                                  > Most Linux distros seem to have the attitude of 'if it isn't in our
                                  > repository you probably don't need it' which drives me crazy at times. I
                                  > do sometimes wonder how much time and money is wasted by all of these
                                  > distros effectively duplicating their efforts by trying to build
                                  > everything under the sun for their repository.
                                  >
                                  > I didn't have much luck building a Mach version of SheetCam. It doesn't
                                  > help that I have zero Mac experience but my biggest problem was some
                                  > exception handling wierdness that I never tracked down.
                                  >
                                  > Les
                                  >

                                  > On 03/06/2013 16:01, Brian Barker wrote:
                                  >> Hello Les,
                                  >> I have put my foot in the sand and said that we are only going to work
                                  >> with CentOS. I am also thinking about saying that we will only work with
                                  >> OEM PCs. Linux is wonderful but in my opinion they have hurt the
                                  >> development of Linux with all the distros. Sure would be nice if we knew
                                  >> what we needed to code against!
                                  >>
                                  >> We have not had time to compile in Mac but we are looking forward to
                                  >> that :) it is the exact opposite! We will will not have to worry about
                                  >> drivers or anything ;)
                                  >>

                                  >> Thanks
                                  >> Brian

                                • Les Newell
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 3, 2013
                                    That would be great. Do you use wx as a shared library?

                                    Les

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 3, 2013
                                      We do in Linux but in windows we compile it in.. I think Linux did a
                                      better job with shared objects :)