Re: Wizard Update

  • ozzie34231
    Message 1 of 15 , May 24, 2013
      Mmm mmm good. Sounds good enough to buy!
      Ozzie

      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Brian Barker <brianb@...> wrote:

      > I have uploaded a new wizard installer rev 1.0.6 for the new Mill
      > Wizards. Ron came up and we talked and gave you some enhancements.
      >
      > We added the following:
      > 1.) User Gcode Input. This allows you the user to insert your own Gcode
      > and have it show on the toolpath. Under the hood there is a full Gcode
      > interpreter and this allowed Ron and I to have it show your Gcode on the
      > screen then you enter. The test that I did was to type:
      > G0 X6 Y6
      > G13 I2 F30
      > This made a nice circle in my toolpath :)
      >
      > 2.) Tool Strategy, This will let you change how you are using the tool..
      > you can change all the settings for the tool other then the DIA of the
      > tool. So if you are doing finish passes and you would like to do a
      > straight feed down and slow the feed you can without doing a toolchange.
      >
      > 3.) Cut Circle ramping, The Cut circle now will ramp to a depth without
      > reversing. The goal was to make it advance until it hit the pass depth
      > and make a full pass. then from that point ramp again without pulling
      > out of the circle cutout. Looking at this path I think it is one of the
      > best circle ramping toolpaths I have ever seen :) . It works very well
      > and I think your machines will enjoy it ;).
      >
      > 4) Cut Rectangle, Lead in and lead out was added if you are doing an
      > inside or outside toolpath (Groove is also and option)
      >
      > 5) Circle Pocket, The spiral out has been updated to be more like an
      > Archimedes spiral. By doing this I was able to make it so the spiral
      > would not some times take a very small wall pass and make for a much
      > longer tool path. I think for some pockets you will find that the cut
      > time is reduced significantly. The theory is that the spiral will keep
      > going out until it intersects the circle that it needs to cut. This was
      > much more complex then what Ron had done and what I had done in Mach3's
      > wizards. With any luck you shouldn't see any real change other then a
      > little less time to cut.
      >
      > Bug Fix:
      > G73 in Millimeter mode had a small bug that would over run the OpenGL
      > buffer. I didn't see it here because I have to much video card Ram.. But
      > Ron was able to track it down and showed me what I needed to fix. I
      > think it is much better now..
      >

      > All and all I think the program is working very well.. Soon we will be
      > changing the price to $75.00 from $50.00 and it will be coming out of
      > Beta. We have been using it here to make parts and I think it is
      > becoming the goto tool here.

    • ozzie34231
      Message 2 of 15 , May 24, 2013
        Perhaps I spoke too quickly. I just played with the download for a few minutes. It works, that's great, but it is a work-around for what was already baked in. Ramp angle, coolant, feeds and speeds, ARE NOT TOOL PROPERTIES. They are cutting strategies! That's the way it was/is in the Mach 3 version and that is correct.
        I'm just a hobby machinist, but to me it just ain't right.
        After all this time developing Mach 4, I would think that you would want the conversational part of it to reflect a professional approach, not an after thought block that allows changing tool properties that are not tool properties in the first place.
        Will I buy it? Yes, it works.
        Will I show it to anyone? NO WAY!
        Ozzie

        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "ozzie34231" <OzzieII@...> wrote:

        > Mmm mmm good. Sounds good enough to buy!
        > Ozzie
        >
        > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Brian Barker <brianb@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have uploaded a new wizard installer rev 1.0.6 for the new Mill
        > > Wizards. Ron came up and we talked and gave you some enhancements.
        > >
        > > We added the following:
        > > 1.) User Gcode Input. This allows you the user to insert your own Gcode
        > > and have it show on the toolpath. Under the hood there is a full Gcode
        > > interpreter and this allowed Ron and I to have it show your Gcode on the
        > > screen then you enter. The test that I did was to type:
        > > G0 X6 Y6
        > > G13 I2 F30
        > > This made a nice circle in my toolpath :)
        > >
        > > 2.) Tool Strategy, This will let you change how you are using the tool..
        > > you can change all the settings for the tool other then the DIA of the
        > > tool. So if you are doing finish passes and you would like to do a
        > > straight feed down and slow the feed you can without doing a toolchange.
        > >
        > > 3.) Cut Circle ramping, The Cut circle now will ramp to a depth without
        > > reversing. The goal was to make it advance until it hit the pass depth
        > > and make a full pass. then from that point ramp again without pulling
        > > out of the circle cutout. Looking at this path I think it is one of the
        > > best circle ramping toolpaths I have ever seen :) . It works very well
        > > and I think your machines will enjoy it ;).
        > >
        > > 4) Cut Rectangle, Lead in and lead out was added if you are doing an
        > > inside or outside toolpath (Groove is also and option)
        > >
        > > 5) Circle Pocket, The spiral out has been updated to be more like an
        > > Archimedes spiral. By doing this I was able to make it so the spiral
        > > would not some times take a very small wall pass and make for a much
        > > longer tool path. I think for some pockets you will find that the cut
        > > time is reduced significantly. The theory is that the spiral will keep
        > > going out until it intersects the circle that it needs to cut. This was
        > > much more complex then what Ron had done and what I had done in Mach3's
        > > wizards. With any luck you shouldn't see any real change other then a
        > > little less time to cut.
        > >
        > > Bug Fix:
        > > G73 in Millimeter mode had a small bug that would over run the OpenGL
        > > buffer. I didn't see it here because I have to much video card Ram.. But
        > > Ron was able to track it down and showed me what I needed to fix. I
        > > think it is much better now..
        > >

        > > All and all I think the program is working very well.. Soon we will be
        > > changing the price to $75.00 from $50.00 and it will be coming out of
        > > Beta. We have been using it here to make parts and I think it is
        > > becoming the goto tool here.

      • Terry Parker
        Message 3 of 15 , May 24, 2013
          HIya Brian , HOW about a multiStep function for the Gcode Input. It would be a BIG help for programing in an outside contour of a part that is an ODD shape.

          Just a thought, (;-) TP

          Message 4 of 15 , May 25, 2013
            A good idea.. But we have a plan for something we are calling a shape
            lib.. Also if you would like the Gcode could have pound Vars in it ;)
            When Mach4 gets the If statements added and looping in the Gcode you
            will be able to use that in the wizard...

            Thanks for the input, and I think the shape lib will be just what you
            are looking for !
            Brian

          • cd_edwards2002
            Message 5 of 15 , May 25, 2013
              I use my router for plastic's and wood and never metal. The Wizards currently and prior were based on working with metal and never about wood/plastic. When I first started out 1 1/2yrs ago didn't know any better and purchased the wizards and then found them to be useless for what I do, mainly because I didn't know any better.. From what you've said in previous posts the plan is to bring out a woodworking set of wizards at some point. Now that I would be very interested in possibly and now that I know what I do or don't, I would be able to evaluate the need I have for it much better. My question after that long-winded explanation is will these future wizards be offered to us at this reduced price as well.. Seems to me there was something about offering this to those who purchased the metal-working wizards at a reduced price, but once again these new wizards have no use for me so I won't be purchasing them

              colten edwards

            • Jeffrey Birt
              Message 6 of 15 , May 25, 2013
                Out of curiosity why do you think they are useless for a router table? The
                machining operations are the same, pocketing profiling, etc. You will have
                different speeds and feeds for different materials but all of that is
                configurable.

                Jeff Birt

                Soigeneris.com

                <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , Brian Barker <brianb@...> wrote:

                > I have uploaded a new wizard installer rev 1.0.6 for the new Mill
                > Wizards. Ron came up and we talked and gave you some enhancements.
                >
                > We added the following:
                > 1.) User Gcode Input. This allows you the user to insert your own Gcode
                > and have it show on the toolpath. Under the hood there is a full Gcode
                > interpreter and this allowed Ron and I to have it show your Gcode on the
                > screen then you enter. The test that I did was to type:
                > G0 X6 Y6
                > G13 I2 F30
                > This made a nice circle in my toolpath :)
                >
                > 2.) Tool Strategy, This will let you change how you are using the tool..
                > you can change all the settings for the tool other then the DIA of the
                > tool. So if you are doing finish passes and you would like to do a
                > straight feed down and slow the feed you can without doing a toolchange.
                >
                > 3.) Cut Circle ramping, The Cut circle now will ramp to a depth without
                > reversing. The goal was to make it advance until it hit the pass depth
                > and make a full pass. then from that point ramp again without pulling
                > out of the circle cutout. Looking at this path I think it is one of the
                > best circle ramping toolpaths I have ever seen :) . It works very well
                > and I think your machines will enjoy it ;).
                >
                > 4) Cut Rectangle, Lead in and lead out was added if you are doing an
                > inside or outside toolpath (Groove is also and option)
                >
                > 5) Circle Pocket, The spiral out has been updated to be more like an
                > Archimedes spiral. By doing this I was able to make it so the spiral
                > would not some times take a very small wall pass and make for a much
                > longer tool path. I think for some pockets you will find that the cut
                > time is reduced significantly. The theory is that the spiral will keep
                > going out until it intersects the circle that it needs to cut. This was
                > much more complex then what Ron had done and what I had done in Mach3's
                > wizards. With any luck you shouldn't see any real change other then a
                > little less time to cut.
                >
                > Bug Fix:
                > G73 in Millimeter mode had a small bug that would over run the OpenGL
                > buffer. I didn't see it here because I have to much video card Ram.. But
                > Ron was able to track it down and showed me what I needed to fix. I
                > think it is much better now..
                >

                > All and all I think the program is working very well.. Soon we will be
                > changing the price to $75.00 from $50.00 and it will be coming out of
                > Beta. We have been using it here to make parts and I think it is
                > becoming the goto tool here.

              • Terry Parker
                Message 7 of 15 , May 25, 2013
                  HIYA Brian nothing better than a simple add gcode option as long as it has a multistep function when needed. HOPEFULLY one can write in a SUB but have not tried it yet.

                  IF the OP does not understand basic Gcoding he needs to learn(;-).

                  Some programs go with a scripting language to write the Gcode and THAT never made sense when Gcode is such a basic language to learn. AND you really need to learn it anyway.

                  Just a thought, (;-) TP

                • Terry Parker
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 26, 2013
                    OK Just for the record you CAN write a SUB routine and get it to work. It ain't pretty and you have to work at it kinda backwards but it does work.

                    You can do a multistep with CUT and paste but why not do it right.

                    There seems to be a new programing language evolving CC&P ( cut copy and paste) I see it in on many fronts these days.

                    (;-) TP

                    --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Parker" <vmax549@...> wrote:

                    > HIYA Brian nothing better than a simple add gcode option as long as it has a multistep function when needed. HOPEFULLY one can write in a SUB but have not tried it yet.
                    >
                    > IF the OP does not understand basic Gcoding he needs to learn(;-).
                    >
                    > Some programs go with a scripting language to write the Gcode and THAT never made sense when Gcode is such a basic language to learn. AND you really need to learn it anyway.
                    >
                    > Just a thought, (;-) TP
                    >

                    > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Brian Barker <brianb@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > A good idea.. But we have a plan for something we are calling a shape
                    > > lib.. Also if you would like the Gcode could have pound Vars in it ;)
                    > > When Mach4 gets the If statements added and looping in the Gcode you
                    > > will be able to use that in the wizard...
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for the input, and I think the shape lib will be just what you
                    > > are looking for !
                    > > Brian
                    > >

                    > > On 5/24/2013 4:09 PM, Terry Parker wrote:
                    > > > HIya Brian , HOW about a multiStep function for the Gcode Input. It would be a BIG help for programing in an outside contour of a part that is an ODD shape.
                    > > >
                    > > > Just a thought, (;-) TP

                  • Andy Wander
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 26, 2013
                      I could sure use that multistep feature, as well.

                      Andy Wander

                      _____

                      <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , "Terry Parker" <vmax549@...>
                      wrote:

                      > HIYA Brian nothing better than a simple add gcode option as long as it has
                      a multistep function when needed. HOPEFULLY one can write in a SUB but have
                      not tried it yet.

                      > IF the OP does not understand basic Gcoding he needs to learn(;-).
                      >
                      > Some programs go with a scripting language to write the Gcode and THAT
                      never made sense when Gcode is such a basic language to learn. AND you
                      really need to learn it anyway.

                      > Just a thought, (;-) TP
                      >

                      > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                      <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , Brian Barker <brianb@> wrote:

                      > > A good idea.. But we have a plan for something we are calling a shape
                      > > lib.. Also if you would like the Gcode could have pound Vars in it ;)
                      > > When Mach4 gets the If statements added and looping in the Gcode you
                      > > will be able to use that in the wizard...
                      > >
                      > > Thanks for the input, and I think the shape lib will be just what you
                      > > are looking for !
                      > > Brian
                      > >

                      > > On 5/24/2013 4:09 PM, Terry Parker wrote:
                      > > > HIya Brian , HOW about a multiStep function for the Gcode Input. It
                      would be a BIG help for programing in an outside contour of a part that is
                      an ODD shape.

                      > > > Just a thought, (;-) TP
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com

                      Gcode
                      Gcode

                      Mach3's

                      But

                    • cd_edwards2002
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 26, 2013
                        I didn't say they were useless on a router table. But for me as a rank beginner they had no use and just caused alot of confusion as they are orientated towards a mill setup. I know Brian had said something about making specific woodworking wizards. This would be of interest and yes, I assume it will have the same features as the milling wizards but orientated more to a router instead of the mill. I say I want a dado, and you'll say make a pocket and your right, they are the same type of operation. When I started this adventure, I knew what a dado was, but had to learn what a pocket was and why I would want one. I use aspire and it does most of what I need/want. There are a few things it doesn't do. Dovetails come to mind.

                        Colten Edwards

                        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Birt" <birt_j@...> wrote:

                        > Out of curiosity why do you think they are useless for a router table? The
                        > machining operations are the same, pocketing profiling, etc. You will have
                        > different speeds and feeds for different materials but all of that is
                        > configurable.
                        >

                        > Jeff Birt
                        >
                        > Soigeneris.com

                      • jeremywillson
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 26, 2013
                          And that is why this thread for dovetail wizards
                          <http://www.woodworkforums.com/f170/woodworking-wizards-mach3-160307/>
                          was started.

                          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "cd_edwards2002" wrote:

                          > I didn't say they were useless on a router table. But ----. There are
                          a few things it doesn't do. Dovetails come to mind.

                          > Colten Edwards

                        • Jeffrey Birt
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 27, 2013
                            Now I see where you are coming from. So it sounds like to me that you had
                            application specific things you wanted to do that there were no built in
                            wizards that covered those application specific operations. (Application
                            specific meaning woodworking.) This would be different than a machine
                            specific type of operation like you might find on a plasma/oxy fuel table,
                            where you would need to add preheat/pierce delays, etc. In other words
                            something very specific to the type of machine that are needed to make it
                            run properly.

                            Most of the Wizards are fairly generic machining operations that would be
                            used on a mill or router table. Things like pocketing, profiling, drilling,
                            leveling, bolt hole circles, etc. are the same on either type of machine.
                            Things like dados, rabbet, dovetails, keyhole slots, etc. are woodworking
                            specific not really router specific. A rabbet and dado are things that would
                            be done with a profile or pocketing operation. Dovetails and keyholes are
                            very specific woodworking machining operations, i.e. you may cut out parts
                            on a router table for years and have no use for either of machining
                            operation unless you are a woodworker.

                            I'm not trying to belabor the point but rather just find out what types of
                            things you thought were missing from the NFS wizards. That information may
                            be very helpful to the guys who write wizards but they would have to
                            understand if what is wanted is an application specific wizard or machine
                            specific. For example there might be a set of 'Woodworking' wizards that
                            include dado, rabbet, dovetail and keyhole operations. The dado and rabbet
                            operations would really be pockets but the interface could be changed to
                            make more sense for woodworking. For example a woodworker might be more used
                            to specifying a dado position by its centerline and depth/width/length
                            whereas a metalworker might be more used to specifying a starting corner
                            location and depth/width/length.

                            Jeff Birt

                            Soigeneris.com

                            <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com> , "Jeffrey Birt" <birt_j@...>

                            Message 13 of 15 , May 28, 2013
                              Ozzie,
                              The cutting strategies move with the tool because we found it to be
                              fastest that way. I wouldn't call this a patch at all.. It is a strategy
                              that you like to use with that tool. The goal was to make fast Gcode
                              with as few inputs as we could. Showing it to people in industry, they
                              liked it this way.

                              Think of each tool as a cutting strategy and a tool change. But you can
                              change the tool strategy if you like so everything after that will adopt
                              the new strategy.

                            • ozzie34231
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 28, 2013
                                Hi Brian,
                                The opinions expressed here by me are solely mine. If "people in the industry" are happy with it, so be it.
                                I did like the old way to finish a hole/pocket; plunge to depth, do a little lead-in loop, take off the last thou., loop out, and raise up. I'd need to experiment to see which makes a better/smoother hole wall.
                                And I think the old NFW were more CAM like.
                                The new set works; I bought it. Time will tell how buyers like it.
                                Jerry "Ozzie" Pryor
                                Old Curmudgeon