Re: CSMIO/IP-A Rigid tapping

  • Terry Parker
    Message 1 of 18 , May 18, 2013
      Thanks Hood, and I agree about the Mutts nuts(;-)

      (;-) TP

      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Hood" <robin/dorothy@...> wrote:

      > Here are the results of the questions you asked Terry ;)
      > http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,24610.msg174024.html#msg174024
      > Hood
      >
      > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Hood" <robin/dorothy@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Answered your first question on the forum ;)
      > > Not sure if it can peck tap, would have to make multiple M84's with the same XY but different Z's I suppose. Will test that out tomorrow if I get a chance.
      > >
      > > Hood
      > >

      > > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Parker" <vmax549@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > HIYA Hood , IN slow accel mode how well does it control Z final depth. That will be the true test, doing blind hole tapping.
      > > >
      > > > How about peck tapping?
      > > >
      > > > Good Job so far, (;-) TP

    • nc_karl
      Message 2 of 18 , May 18, 2013
        Hood

        That is one awesome tool changer. Is there a link to more info on it? Now that you have one what is your opinion of it.

        Thanks

        Karl

        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Hood" <robin/dorothy@...> wrote:

        > Here are the results of the questions you asked Terry ;)
        > http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,24610.msg174024.html#msg174024
        > Hood
        >
        > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Hood" <robin/dorothy@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Answered your first question on the forum ;)
        > > Not sure if it can peck tap, would have to make multiple M84's with the same XY but different Z's I suppose. Will test that out tomorrow if I get a chance.
        > >
        > > Hood
        > >

        > > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Parker" <vmax549@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > HIYA Hood , IN slow accel mode how well does it control Z final depth. That will be the true test, doing blind hole tapping.
        > > >
        > > > How about peck tapping?
        > > >
        > > > Good Job so far, (;-) TP

      • Hood
        Message 3 of 18 , May 18, 2013
          It is the toolchange system that the majority of Chiron VMC's have, If you do a search for Chiron Basket Tool Changer you should find more info.

          Not sure what you are meaning with your second question, if meaning the CSMIO/IP-A then I love it, if meaning the Chiron FZ12 then again I love it :)

          Hood

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "nc_karl" <nc_karl@...> wrote:

          > Hood
          >
          > That is one awesome tool changer. Is there a link to more info on it? Now that you have one what is your opinion of it.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Karl
          >

          > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Hood" <robin/dorothy@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Here are the results of the questions you asked Terry ;)
          > > http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,24610.msg174024.html#msg174024
          > > Hood
          > >
          > > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Hood" <robin/dorothy@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Answered your first question on the forum ;)
          > > > Not sure if it can peck tap, would have to make multiple M84's with the same XY but different Z's I suppose. Will test that out tomorrow if I get a chance.
          > > >
          > > > Hood

        • Hood
          Message 4 of 18 , May 18, 2013
            Sure is Terry, re-ran the peck tapping routine into the previously peck tapped hole but this time with the accel turned back to full and again perfect, vid here
            http://youtu.be/d87kv3GSqvY

            Hood

            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Parker" <vmax549@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Hood, and I agree about the Mutts nuts(;-)
            >
            > (;-) TP
            >
            > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Hood" <robin/dorothy@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Here are the results of the questions you asked Terry ;)
            > > http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,24610.msg174024.html#msg174024
            > > Hood
            > >
            > > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Hood" <robin/dorothy@> wrote:
            > > >

            > > > Answered your first question on the forum ;)
            > > > Not sure if it can peck tap, would have to make multiple M84's with the same XY but different Z's I suppose. Will test that out tomorrow if I get a chance.
            > > >
            > > > Hood

          • Terry Parker
            Message 5 of 18 , May 18, 2013
              HIYA HOOD, but rethinking the VFD tapping Your machine is still Servo controlled reguardless of the accel/deaccel speeds you have set so yes it would repeat exactly. A VFD driven machine is a whole different MUTT as the machine does NOT know the accel/deaccel values as those are dependant on RPM and resistance to the tapping load as to WHERE exactly the spindle will stop rotating.

              Now yes the Z can track the spindle to a stop but where will it stop is the question.

              Just a thought, (;-)TP

              --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Hood" <robin/dorothy@...> wrote:

              > Sure is Terry, re-ran the peck tapping routine into the previously peck tapped hole but this time with the accel turned back to full and again perfect, vid here
              > http://youtu.be/d87kv3GSqvY
              >
              > Hood
              >
              > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Parker" <vmax549@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks Hood, and I agree about the Mutts nuts(;-)
              > >
              > > (;-) TP
              > >
              > > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Hood" <robin/dorothy@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Here are the results of the questions you asked Terry ;)
              > > > http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,24610.msg174024.html#msg174024
              > > > Hood

            • Hood
              Message 6 of 18 , May 18, 2013
                Terry, my spindle (as well as axes) is controlled via +/-10v analogue signal and the loop is closed back to the CSMIO and it is tuned with the PID in the CSMIO.
                If you have a VFD you will be using the 0-10v analogue signal from the CSMIO, again the encoder goes back to the CSMIO and again it is tuned in the CSMIO.

                So in summary I can not see how there would be a difference, both analogue voltage, both tuned in CSMIO, both using encoder feedback.

                Hood

                --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Parker" <vmax549@...> wrote:

                > HIYA HOOD, but rethinking the VFD tapping Your machine is still Servo controlled reguardless of the accel/deaccel speeds you have set so yes it would repeat exactly. A VFD driven machine is a whole different MUTT as the machine does NOT know the accel/deaccel values as those are dependant on RPM and resistance to the tapping load as to WHERE exactly the spindle will stop rotating.
                >
                > Now yes the Z can track the spindle to a stop but where will it stop is the question.
                >
                > Just a thought, (;-)TP
                >
                > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Hood" <robin/dorothy@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Sure is Terry, re-ran the peck tapping routine into the previously peck tapped hole but this time with the accel turned back to full and again perfect, vid here
                > > http://youtu.be/d87kv3GSqvY
                > >
                > > Hood
                > >
                > > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Parker" <vmax549@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Thanks Hood, and I agree about the Mutts nuts(;-)
                > > >
                > > > (;-) TP

              • nc_karl
                Message 7 of 18 , May 18, 2013
                  Thanks for the prompt response. I've done the search for Chiron basket tool changers and am just amazed! It is so mechanical and fast I've watched over and over.

                  Thanks again

                  Karl

                  --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Hood" <robin/dorothy@...> wrote:

                  > It is the toolchange system that the majority of Chiron VMC's have, If you do a search for Chiron Basket Tool Changer you should find more info.
                  >
                  > Not sure what you are meaning with your second question, if meaning the CSMIO/IP-A then I love it, if meaning the Chiron FZ12 then again I love it :)
                  >
                  > Hood
                  >
                  > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "nc_karl" <nc_karl@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hood
                  > >
                  > > That is one awesome tool changer. Is there a link to more info on it? Now that you have one what is your opinion of it.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                  > >
                  > > Karl
                  > >

                  > > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Hood" <robin/dorothy@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Here are the results of the questions you asked Terry ;)
                  > > > http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,24610.msg174024.html#msg174024
                  > > > Hood

                • Hood
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 18, 2013
                    Yes and very robust as well by the looks of it. My machine is 1987 vintage and from what I gather its really only pipes and a few seals that have been replaced. One of the cylinders and an arm was missing and also one arm was damaged, due to a crash I would imagine, but other than that its all working. I machined new arms and got a cylinder from eBay so all 12 tools work now.
                    The valve manifold has a leak or leaks and it is internal so sometime in the future I will machine a new one. I have it designed and suppose I should do it sooner rather than later.

                    In 1987 it must have been even more impressive as at that time tool changers probably were in the 20 seconds plus for chip to chip where this was under 2 seconds.

                    Hood

                    --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "nc_karl" <nc_karl@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for the prompt response. I've done the search for Chiron basket tool changers and am just amazed! It is so mechanical and fast I've watched over and over.
                    >
                    > Thanks again
                    >
                    > Karl
                  • Chris CNC
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 26, 2013
                      Hello Hood:

                      Tell me more how much did tool changer cost you?. How did you install it and what type motor and driver you are using on your machine?.

                      Thanks;

                      Chris

                      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com<mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>, "nc_karl" <nc_karl@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks for the prompt response. I've done the search for Chiron basket tool changers and am just amazed! It is so mechanical and fast I've watched over and over.
                      >
                      > Thanks again
                      >
                      > Karl

                    • Chris CNC
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 16, 2013
                        Hello Hood:

                        I have some lathe questions;
                        What type index pulse I need?. I looked up there is 10,000 type out there. What model, what manufacture do I need to contact?. Can you tell me which one you have?.
                        Chris
                        To: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                        From: robin/dorothy@...
                        Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 14:24:21 +0000

                        Here are the results of the questions you asked Terry ;)

                        http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,24610.msg174024.html#msg174024

                        Hood

                        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Hood" <robin/dorothy@...> wrote:

                        > Answered your first question on the forum ;)

                        > Not sure if it can peck tap, would have to make multiple M84's with the same XY but different Z's I suppose. Will test that out tomorrow if I get a chance.

                        > Hood

                        > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Parker" <vmax549@> wrote:

                        > > HIYA Hood , IN slow accel mode how well does it control Z final depth. That will be the true test, doing blind hole tapping.

                        > > How about peck tapping?

                        > > Good Job so far, (;-) TP

                        > > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Hood" <robin/dorothy@> wrote:

                        > > > Have also just done another video with my spindle accel slowed way down to simulate a spindle controlled via a VFD, as you can see tapping is perfect.

                        > > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DE4sAgLPX8

                        > > > Hood

                      • Hood
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 16, 2013
                          Replied to your email, it all depends on what hardware you will be using for your controller.
                          Hood
                          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Chris CNC <microcnc_31@...> wrote:

                          > Hello Hood:
                          >
                          > I have some lathe questions;
                          > What type index pulse I need?. I looked up there is 10,000 type out there. What model, what manufacture do I need to contact?. Can you tell me which one you have?.
                          > Chris
                          > To: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                          > From: robin/dorothy@...
                          > Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 14:24:21 +0000
                          > Subject: [mach1mach2cnc] Re: CSMIO/IP-A Rigid tapping

                          > Here are the results of the questions you asked Terry ;)
                          >
                          > http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,24610.msg174024.html#msg174024
                          >
                          > Hood
                          >

                          > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Hood" <robin/dorothy@> wrote:
                          >

                          > > Answered your first question on the forum ;)
                          >
                          > > Not sure if it can peck tap, would have to make multiple M84's with the same XY but different Z's I suppose. Will test that out tomorrow if I get a chance.
                          >

                          > > Hood
                          >

                          > > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Parker" <vmax549@> wrote:
                          >

                          > > > HIYA Hood , IN slow accel mode how well does it control Z final depth. That will be the true test, doing blind hole tapping.
                          >

                          > > > How about peck tapping?
                          >

                          > > > Good Job so far, (;-) TP

                        • Hood
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 16, 2013
                            Sorry, missed this and just noticed it today.
                            The tool changer came free with the Chiron ;) It is the standard Chiron basket tool changer that comes with the machine. I bought the Chiron for just slightly more than scrap price, I paid £600 for it and have probably spent a further £1,500- £2,000 on it, not including my time of course.