sizing problem

  • Longmont Luthier
    Message 1 of 3 , May 14, 2013
      I must be doing something just plain wrong. I have been experimenting with cutting inlays and pockets and it seems like they are not the size I expected. The inlays fit the pockets fine but are not the correct size that I built in AI and/or Inkscape. (I've tried both) So I decided to try one of Mach's built in wizards and I asked it to cut a 1 inch diameter pocket. The wizard was set to inches and the pocket actually came out to be .646 inches in diameter instead of an inch. What is wrong in this picture? I am using a chinese 6040 router/engraver. Do I have something set wrong in Mach? I wasn't even sure what to search for in the archives.
    • Stephen Burgess
      Message 2 of 3 , May 14, 2013
        I've not had any luck with the mach 3 pocket wizard either due to similar symptoms. I don't use any of the wizards as a result.

        Working in Inkscape or AI is going to be tough to actually produce a predictable size.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 15, 2013
          Solved my own problem. I used the "steps per unit" field in settings and a dial indicator to calibrate my steppers and now a 1 in pocket is as close as I can measure it - less than a thousandth out and my ai and inkscape stuff is exactly the size it was designed to be.
          Yipee!