Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Native units

  • co9ora7
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 25, 2013
      Thanks Art, that's a good idea.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Apr 25, 2013, at 8:46 PM, art2 <fenerty@...> wrote:

      > It is because of issues like this that I always suggested using two profiles, one for metric, and one for inch. Ive seen too
      > many people make the assumption it was in one mode or another. Its easier, and wastes no real space to have two icons,
      > one for each. Use the machloader program and tell it to clone your orginal profile, then set the clone up for metric..or imperial....
      > Most people use one or the other system so its not a problem that occurs often..just easier to KNOW what mode if you load
      > a profile named MetricMill or InchMill as I do..

      > www.gearotic.com

    • cnc sales (hanermo)
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 25, 2013
        The problem with this is that You start to make assumptions about the
        mode You are in.

        If you every start to use feed/rev in lathe, or have a high resolution
        setup with servos, you are very, very likely to damage your machine in
        approx 1.5 seconds, if you EVER make a mistake between inch mode and mm
        mode.

        For this reason, my approach has been to make sure I always approach
        everything systematically, and know whether I am in inch or metric, and
        when feed/rev is on.
        Be aware that in some cases it was possible for this to be left on when
        threading cycles had errors.

        So, with approx 2000 kg of push force, and under 3 secs end-end on a 12x
        lathe, starts to attack the chuck at 100 inches/minute .. it´s a great
        idea to have limited your max speeds to something more reasonable and
        not trust it till you are confident.

        I have not had hard crashes so far, and really hope to avoid them.

        --
        -hanermo

      • Russell Dunn
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 25, 2013
          Hi People,

          I guess these are in that list of items for which we each have our own pet reply or method.

          My own method, for what it is worth, is to have it as a rule to start off any code file with, in line N0001, all the fixed items such as speed & feed rates, mode (in or mm), etc.
          So far it this self imposed rule has kept me on the path of righteousness but I'm thinking now that Art's suggestion of having a complete file and screen shortcut would be a very practical and idiot proof option.

          Regards to all,
          Russell Dunn
          Tianjin,
          P.R. China

          On 26 Apr 2013, at 13:57, "cnc sales (hanermo)"wrote:-
          > The problem with this is that You start to make assumptions about the
          > mode You are in.
          >
          > If you every start to use feed/rev in lathe, or have a high resolution
          > setup with servos, you are very, very likely to damage your machine in
          > approx 1.5 seconds, if you EVER make a mistake between inch mode and mm
          > mode.
          >
          > For this reason, my approach has been to make sure I always approach
          > everything systematically, and know whether I am in inch or metric, and
          > when feed/rev is on.
          > Be aware that in some cases it was possible for this to be left on when
          > threading cycles had errors.
          >
          > So, with approx 2000 kg of push force, and under 3 secs end-end on a 12x
          > lathe, starts to attack the chuck at 100 inches/minute .. it´s a great
          > idea to have limited your max speeds to something more reasonable and
          > not trust it till you are confident.
          >
          > I have not had hard crashes so far, and really hope to avoid them.

        • Steve Blackmore
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 26, 2013
            On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 19:37:18 -0400, you wrote:

            >search thru your code make sure there is not a G20 hidden somewhere.

            or a G70 ! (stupid code duplication)

            Steve Blackmore