New Machine - I'm Confused

  • Johntech
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 22 5:58 PM
      I just got a new machine, this is my second one, and I'm a little confused with the setup. The machine is from Automation Technology Inc.
      No XML file from the company other than what I found on their website.

      So here is what I have so far:
      - If I click the REF ALL HOME buton, the Z moves up with the DRO's reading positive.That seems ok.
      - The X axis moves to the left with the DRO's reading positive. That is backwards.
      - The Y axis moves towards the front of the machine with the DRO's reading positive. That is also backwards.
      - If I press the RIGHT arrow key the X axis moves to the RIGHT BUT the tool path shows moving to the LEFT.
      - The same with the Y axis. If I press the UP arrow key the Y axis moves towards the BACK of the machine BUT the tool path moves DOWN.

      I'm not even sure if this is the correct XML file for this machine! I have contacted the company several times and get nothing.
      Is there a setting in the XML file to reverse the tool path or should I dump this XML file and start from scratch?

      John Frankforther

    • alaskastan
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 22 7:42 PM
        John... If you are using Mach3 as your software those settings are all configurable under
        travel direction can be changed under config-moter/home soft limits...
        arrow keys can be changed under config-system hot keys...

        Hope that helps

        Stan

        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Johntech" <beebear@...> wrote:

        > I just got a new machine, this is my second one, and I'm a little confused with the setup. The machine is from Automation Technology Inc.
        > No XML file from the company other than what I found on their website.
        >
        > So here is what I have so far:
        > - If I click the REF ALL HOME buton, the Z moves up with the DRO's reading positive.That seems ok.
        > - The X axis moves to the left with the DRO's reading positive. That is backwards.
        > - The Y axis moves towards the front of the machine with the DRO's reading positive. That is also backwards.
        > - If I press the RIGHT arrow key the X axis moves to the RIGHT BUT the tool path shows moving to the LEFT.
        > - The same with the Y axis. If I press the UP arrow key the Y axis moves towards the BACK of the machine BUT the tool path moves DOWN.
        >
        > I'm not even sure if this is the correct XML file for this machine! I have contacted the company several times and get nothing.
        > Is there a setting in the XML file to reverse the tool path or should I dump this XML file and start from scratch?
        >
        > John Frankforther

      • Chris CNC
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 22 8:00 PM
          Which machine is this I like to see it too.

          Thanks;

          Chris

          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 23 1:06 AM
            Stan
            Yes I am using Mach 3 as I had configured it to run my other mill which has a moving table.
            This mill uses a moving gantry and I was trying to use similar settings for this one as the other one.
            Basically I can get it to move in the right direction with the key pads but when I run G-code it runs
            backwards except for the Z axis.

            John Frankforther

            John... If you are using Mach3 as your software those settings are all configurable under
            travel direction can be changed under config-moter/home soft limits...
            arrow keys can be changed under config-system hot keys...

            Hope that helps

            Stan

            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Johntech" <beebear@...> wrote:

            > I just got a new machine, this is my second one, and I'm a little confused with the setup. The machine is from Automation Technology Inc.
            > No XML file from the company other than what I found on their website.
            >
            > So here is what I have so far:
            > - If I click the REF ALL HOME buton, the Z moves up with the DRO's reading positive.That seems ok.
            > - The X axis moves to the left with the DRO's reading positive. That is backwards.
            > - The Y axis moves towards the front of the machine with the DRO's reading positive. That is also backwards.
            > - If I press the RIGHT arrow key the X axis moves to the RIGHT BUT the tool path shows moving to the LEFT.
            > - The same with the Y axis. If I press the UP arrow key the Y axis moves towards the BACK of the machine BUT the tool path moves DOWN.
            >
            > I'm not even sure if this is the correct XML file for this machine! I have contacted the company several times and get nothing.
            > Is there a setting in the XML file to reverse the tool path or should I dump this XML file and start from scratch?
            >
            > John Frankforther

          • cnc sales (hanermo)
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 23 1:13 AM
              Em...
              hesitate to say this, but a gantry and a table DO move in the opposite
              directions.
              From the point of view of the tooltip and the work, they then look the
              same.

              Is it possible, just maybe, that its correct ?

              --
              -hanermo

            • Russell Dunn
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 23 1:17 AM
                John, Stan and Group,

                I feel it would be reasonable to expect the movement directions for both the X and Y planes to appear reversed when you swap the XML file from a moving table machine to a moving gantry (or vice-versa). Remember that in a moving table setup, the table is moving the "wrong" way under the stationary tool. In the other, the tool is moving the "correct" way over a stationary workpiece.

                Regards to all,
                Russell Dunn
                Tianjin,
                P.R.China

                On 23 Apr 2013, at 16:06, "johntech" <beebear@...> wrote:

                > Stan
                > Yes I am using Mach 3 as I had configured it to run my other mill which has a moving table.
                > This mill uses a moving gantry and I was trying to use similar settings for this one as the other one.
                > Basically I can get it to move in the right direction with the key pads but when I run G-code it runs
                > backwards except for the Z axis.
                >
                > John Frankforther

              • johntech
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 23 1:26 AM
                  Chris
                  Run away from this machine !!!! Once they have your money they won't respond to any emails!
                  When I got it there were things broken, falling apart, wired wrong and no fuse in the controller.
                  Thank goodness I used PayPal to put a hold on the money until they made everything right +
                  gave me a cheap spindle free. I really should have sent it back and got my money back,
                  As I'm trying to get it to move and guessing at the motor tuning the X axis is starting to bind.
                  I took the X cover off and the set screw for the coupling was ready to fall out and the screws
                  that hold the bearing in were ready to fall out too. So basically I went through the entire machine
                  and tightened all the screws and bolts so now it is running smooth. The reason I kept it is because
                  it has a 2'x2' table and is stiff enough to cut aluminum. I just need to figure out if it is the software
                  problem or a wiring problem. It's using a C10 board out to their motor controllers using all black wire.

                  John Frankforther

                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 23 1:33 AM
                    Russell

                    Sorry I didn't swap the file from the moving table machine. I found a XML file on the company website and am trying to get it to work.
                    The motor tuning was close to this machine so it would run.

                    John F

                    I feel it would be reasonable to expect the movement directions for both the X and Y planes to appear reversed when you swap the XML file from a moving table machine to a moving gantry (or vice-versa). Remember that in a moving table setup, the table is moving the "wrong" way under the stationary tool. In the other, the tool is moving the "correct" way over a stationary workpiece.

                    Regards to all,
                    Russell Dunn
                    Tianjin,
                    P.R.China

                    On 23 Apr 2013, at 16:06, "johntech" <beebear@...> wrote:

                    > Stan
                    > Yes I am using Mach 3 as I had configured it to run my other mill which has a moving table.
                    > This mill uses a moving gantry and I was trying to use similar settings for this one as the other one.
                    > Basically I can get it to move in the right direction with the key pads but when I run G-code it runs
                    > backwards except for the Z axis.
                    >
                    > John Frankforther

                  • johntech
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 23 1:38 AM
                      Maybe that IS the problem.

                      If I'm standing at the front of the machine and I click REF ALL HOME
                      the "spindle" will move to the front left of the machine. Am I correct?

                      But if I try to run g-code it appears it should have homed to the right rear.

                      John F

                      hesitate to say this, but a gantry and a table DO move in the opposite
                      directions.
                      From the point of view of the tooltip and the work, they then look the

                      --
                      -hanermo

                    • chuck
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 23 3:36 AM
                        John,
                        try to visualize the tool moving not the table it takes some getting used to especially if you have run a gantry type machine.
                        is the tool moving around the part as shown in the toolpath window? if it is than you have no problem other than learning to visualize tool movement instead of table movement.
                        Chuck

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 23 7:18 AM
                          >Run away from this machine !!!! Once they have your money they won't
                          respond to any emails!
                          >When I got it there were things broken, falling apart, wired wrong and no
                          fuse in the controller.

                          But it was 'cheap' right? I was talking with an Indian student from the
                          local university the other day and he commented "You guys are the only
                          people in the world who will buy cheap Chinese stuff. It does not matter if
                          it is junk as long as it is cheap." It smacked me as a rather humorous
                          comment at the time but it seems to fit in many cases. (There is a lot of
                          good stuff made in China as well but you have to sort through a whole pile
                          of cheap copies to find it.)

                          Jeff Birt

                          Soigeneris.com

                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 23 11:34 AM
                            I don't know Jeff Is $2500 cheap? Not to me! Granted it is
                            made out of 1/2" aluminum stock not PVC

                            So far my $500 PVC hobby mill works better that this new one and it was easy to set up
                            because the company was more than helpful getting it running. When I broke one of the
                            couplings the owner sent me 3 new ones and told me what to check so it wouldn't break
                            again. He even sent me a complete set of 3 upgraded lead screws and backlash nuts FREE.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 23 11:45 AM
                              Chuck
                              That is what I'm trying to do. If I Click the REF ALL HOME button, looking strictly at the tool, the Z axis moves up in the positive
                              direction on the screen and physically. Both X and Y physically move to the left front of the machine which is 0,0 or HOME. If I refresh the screen
                              and then move the X or Y axis any where from homeposition, the screen will show it moving in the opposite direction.

                              What I may do is return to the site and see it I can find the correct XML file as they seem to not want to answer my emails.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 23 11:54 AM
                                Beebear,

                                I had this with Gecko 540 .xml. The fact that it was the bed that moved
                                not the gantry and the X motor was mounted on the left of the machine and
                                not the right meant that X and Y moved backwards. You don't need to reassign
                                buttons.

                                Just go to Config> ports and pins > Motor outputs and change the dir
                                lowactive, then your motors will go the other way.

                                I have it so the bed comes towards you when it's homed.

                                Regards Dave

                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 23 11:59 AM
                                  Sorry I might have got that wrong.

                                  Have a look at Arts video... http://www.machsupport.com/videos/

                                  Homing/limits and offsets.

                                  Regards Dave

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 23 12:07 PM
                                    Actually I think you might have to make your soft limits - if they are + .

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Apr 23 12:22 PM

                                      I am watching the video now and I think you have found my answer!!!
                                      There is a check mark that will REVERSE the movement from the HOME for the X and Y axis's!!!

                                      I remember watching this when I got my First mill

                                      Thank you for remind me about it!!

                                      John Frankforther

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Apr 23 12:27 PM
                                        Hi John,

                                        That's the one! :0) Yeh, you don't do it every day so you forget.
                                        Setting it up from scratch is not hard with a little help from Art's videos.
                                        Happy to help.

                                        Regards Dave Kennedy

                                        Dave

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Apr 23 12:37 PM
                                          Now that I have a machine where the table doesn't move I will have to re-watch all the videos again and learn about the offsets
                                          and all the other goodies I didn't use on my first mill.

                                          Thanks again!!

                                          John Frankforther