keep having to reduce "steps per" when using Zenbot CNC router/Mach3

  • Matthew N
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 18 4:43 PM
      I am interested in what the members of this group might have to say about this situation I find myself in:

      I currently have a Zenbot 2424 CNC router that I got about a year ago. It has given me nothing but constant aggravation.

      I have only been using it to machine pink insulation foam so far, using a Hitachi M12VC router. Right away when I started using it (with the older style Xylotek 3 axis control box) it couldn't cut a straight line at all, it looked like a career drunk on St. Paddy's day. It's been a while since then and eventuallythe manufacturer sent me the newer Geckodrive G540 box.

      Right away, more problems. The XML profile that I was sent would not move the motors, they just buzzed at me....so I switched to the old profile from the first box. Even though some of the numbers were different, the machine worked ok for about a week.....

      Then the trouble with inaccurate distances started AGAIN. It's always been in the X axis. I had to change the "steps per" field in the Mach 3 Motor Tuning page. Again, worked OK for about a week of intermittent cutting projects.

      After having this go on for another few weeks, I decided to try and go back to the original config file, the one specifically designated for the G540. All of a sudden, OK, great, good results....but again, only for 2-ish weeks.

      The original "steps per" value for all 3 axes was 2780. My current setting (for ONLY the X axis) is now down to 2300!!!

      There is no binding anywhere that I can detect; the machine motion is completely smooth and without hesitation.

      It can't be because the X axis is too heavy for the settings. The Y axis is carrying much more load (moves the entire gantry forwards and backwards, while the X axis only moves the spindle back and forth on the gantry)

      I just recently had the opportunity to start making some money professionally with this machine, which is why this whole situation has become very demoralizing. I am using the darn machine to cut only foam, using the settings provided expressly by the manufacturer.

      I am not going to send it back to Zenbot. I'm through dealing with him
      directly, there's gotta be a way to fix this problem...he's still in business and building bigger machines since I bought this deadweight-brick, so he's obviously capable of building a functional unit.

      Anyone have any ideas?
    • Terry Parker
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 18 11:58 PM
        I would say your BEEF is with the vendor who sold it to you.

        You either need to get with the vendor to help straighten out the mess OR learn how to config your own machine and do it yourself.

        Flip flopping around with xmls is not the way to go neither is changing the Steps per every week. There will ONLY be one setting for the steps per unit. Set it for the correct value and leave it alone.

        Sounds if though you are loosing steps or possibly you have a Pirate license and Art's traps are driving you crazy. Check with Mach3 support to verify the license before you do anything.

        Just a thought, (;-) TP

        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew N" <matt@...> wrote:

        > I am interested in what the members of this group might have to say about this situation I find myself in:
        >
        > I currently have a Zenbot 2424 CNC router that I got about a year ago. It has given me nothing but constant aggravation.
        >
        > I have only been using it to machine pink insulation foam so far, using a Hitachi M12VC router. Right away when I started using it (with the older style Xylotek 3 axis control box) it couldn't cut a straight line at all, it looked like a career drunk on St. Paddy's day. It's been a while since then and eventuallythe manufacturer sent me the newer Geckodrive G540 box.
        >
        > Right away, more problems. The XML profile that I was sent would not move the motors, they just buzzed at me....so I switched to the old profile from the first box. Even though some of the numbers were different, the machine worked ok for about a week.....
        >
        > Then the trouble with inaccurate distances started AGAIN. It's always been in the X axis. I had to change the "steps per" field in the Mach 3 Motor Tuning page. Again, worked OK for about a week of intermittent cutting projects.
        >
        > After having this go on for another few weeks, I decided to try and go back to the original config file, the one specifically designated for the G540. All of a sudden, OK, great, good results....but again, only for 2-ish weeks.
        >
        > The original "steps per" value for all 3 axes was 2780. My current setting (for ONLY the X axis) is now down to 2300!!!
        >
        > There is no binding anywhere that I can detect; the machine motion is completely smooth and without hesitation.
        >
        > It can't be because the X axis is too heavy for the settings. The Y axis is carrying much more load (moves the entire gantry forwards and backwards, while the X axis only moves the spindle back and forth on the gantry)
        >
        > I just recently had the opportunity to start making some money professionally with this machine, which is why this whole situation has become very demoralizing. I am using the darn machine to cut only foam, using the settings provided expressly by the manufacturer.
        >
        > I am not going to send it back to Zenbot. I'm through dealing with him
        > directly, there's gotta be a way to fix this problem...he's still in business and building bigger machines since I bought this deadweight-brick, so he's obviously capable of building a functional unit.
        >
        > Anyone have any ideas?

      • Dean Angevine, Fox Prints
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 19 5:30 AM
          Seems like you either have electrical noise or you need to adjust your
          accel & max velocity down, not your steps per unit. The steps per unit
          is a constant based on the machine mechanics, once set it should never
          need to be changed.

          If you are adjusting your steps per unit down to get more accuracy, that
          means you are gaining steps, which is most likely from electrical noise
          in the pulse stream to the drive, the drive sees the noise as extra pulses.

          If you were adjusting it the other way (adding steps per) it would be
          from loosing steps, which could be caused by mechanical problems or by
          too high an acceleration or max velocity for the motors to handle.

          Do the axes drift if you are just running the router motor without
          sending any move commands?