Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re: how to import scripts and interface design into mach4

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
      Please see below:

      On 4/18/2013 7:37 AM, mach1cnc wrote:

      > Hi Brian,
      >
      > thank you for your engangement and enthusiasm of mach4.
      >
      > Seems like the whole concept for users, forum and development of mach changes quietly ;)
      >
      > 1) How long will you support and update Mach3 for new versions of windows 8 , 9 and so on?

      Brian-> Support will go on for years. I will let it quietly slip away.

      > 2) How long will we get new licenses for the classic Mach3 and what will be the pricing structure like?

      Brian->For some time, Mach3 and Mach4 will be side by side. at some
      point we will stop selling Mach3 (OEMS is an other story)

      > 3) The alpha versions of Mach4 dissapeared from the download links...

      Brian->Yup... We got the data we needed and now we are working on new
      features :)

      > 4) How can we qualify for alpha testing?

      At this time we only have 3 copies out to "alpha" testers. Beta will be
      very wide spread.. We can't take anymore input and keep working :( .

      > 5) The timelag to wait for beta and other versions is interesting, because users first need time to understand the new programming interface and then need their 1000thands of hours to adapt their specific solutions for add-ons to your new system.

      Brian->I agree.. and at the same time it all needs to work :) We would
      like to make it all work here first. We will be making an auto
      toolchange script for a router today. when that is done it will go in
      the distro of Mach4.

      > 6)They could do their structure in the meantime while you are optimizing the core of the mach4 system, if you would give them a chance.

      Brian->I think we need to get examples done first.. It is better to
      modify then it is to start over.. Mach3 is not going to stop working :)

      > 7) The innovative system of mach was the parallelisation of development to all users...thats the open source knowledge, on which mach has its foundation with all the wizards and screens...

      Brian->This function is still in mach4.. You can make your own screens
      and so on.. but it will be some time before it is 100% done.. the screen
      design section of this project has been a major challenge :( .

      > 8) You know, as long as you compress your work to only some alpha males, work will not be efficient in any way and your timeline for release will not work in time.

      Ahh... okay I guess. Would you like to have software that we have not
      tested at all? I think we need to make parts and test before we ship it
      out..

      > 9) I cannot understand this: who is HOBBY? who has PROFESSIONAL knowledge? How will you seperate the users working together since years? Which wizard is built only on Hobby Knowledge?

      Brian->Hobby is the Mach3 replacement.. so same rules. If you are
      cutting for money we would like you to include us in that.. if you are
      doing it as a hobby we would like you to be able to have fun..

      > 10) Please inform us about the real pricing structure for these versions - if it´s out of reach for a adaptable version with open api we have to look if there will be sense for translating code from years of development

      Brian->That was in one of the first messages. 200.00 retail for Mach4
      Hobby (Same price scale as Mach3). industrial will be 1200.00 retail and
      we will have full phone support with that as well.. This is new.. we
      have never offered anything like this in the past..

      > 11) did you forget all the users which worked with you for free on the same wizards together and for you system ?

      Brian->This one makes me laugh.
      Yes there are a few people that made some wizards and shared them. Heck
      I was one of them! We will be doing the same thing in Mach4. They didn't
      need to share them if they didn't want too.. None if this is the core
      code that we charge for. So if you make a macro for MS Office do you
      get the newest version for free and a thank you letter in the mail? I
      don't get this at all. We will be offering an amazing bit of software
      at a very good price. I have paid to make it no one else... Did you
      forget that I have to pay everyone?

      This has been fun but I need to get back to making macros that we are
      going to giveaway..

    • chuck
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
        Brian,
        just to clarify is the Hobby ver and the Pro ver the same software but without direct phone support?
        Chuck

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
          At this time yes :) But over time Industrial will grow away from Hobby..

          On 4/18/2013 10:57 AM, chuck wrote:
          > Brian,
          > just to clarify is the Hobby ver and the Pro ver the same software but without direct phone support?
          > Chuck

        • John Dammeyer
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
            Brian,

            How many licensed copies of MACH3 are out there and what is the estimate of
            the number of unlicensed copies? How many are running the trial system
            without a license?

            Is there any information on how many LinuxCNC systems are in use? That's
            probably a more difficult number to know.

            John Dammeyer

            At this time yes :) But over time Industrial will grow away from Hobby..

            On 4/18/2013 10:57 AM, chuck wrote:
            > Brian,
            > just to clarify is the Hobby ver and the Pro ver the same software but
            without direct phone support?
            > Chuck

          • ozzie34231
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
              Hey Dammeyer!
              Who are you?
              What business do you have asking such a question?
              Would you like to see the books too?!!!!
              The audacity of some of the members of this forum is appalling.
              Ozzie

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
                The only number we know is how many have paid.. all the rest is unknown :(

                On 4/18/2013 11:44 AM, John Dammeyer wrote:
                > Brian,
                >
                > How many licensed copies of MACH3 are out there and what is the estimate of
                > the number of unlicensed copies? How many are running the trial system
                > without a license?
                >
                > Is there any information on how many LinuxCNC systems are in use? That's
                > probably a more difficult number to know.
                >
                > John Dammeyer

              • Dave
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
                  On 4/18/2013 11:44 AM, John Dammeyer wrote:
                  > Is there any information on how many LinuxCNC systems are in use?

                  The LinuxCNC guys have no idea as the software can be obtained and
                  replicated for free and from difference sources.

                  Dave
                • John Dammeyer
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
                    Hey Ozzie34231,

                    What's your real name? Kind of a rude comment when you hide behind a code
                    name yourself. And by the way my first name is John which you must have
                    noticed since you used my last name.

                    The MACH3 web site lists over 10,000 copies sold on their home page. It's
                    quite possible that they have kept track of the number of illegal copies out
                    there. It's also quite possible if they know that number that they'd share
                    it or not.

                    But it never hurts to ask although sometimes these types of questions do
                    bring out the strangest replies.

                    John Dammeyer

                    What business do you have asking such a question?
                    Would you like to see the books too?!!!!
                    The audacity of some of the members of this forum is appalling.
                    Ozzie

                    --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "John Dammeyer" <johnd@...> wrote:

                    > Brian,
                    >
                    > How many licensed copies of MACH3 are out there and what is the
                    > estimate of the number of unlicensed copies? How many are running the
                    > trial system without a license?
                    >
                    > Is there any information on how many LinuxCNC systems are in use?
                    > That's probably a more difficult number to know.
                    >
                    > John Dammeyer

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
                      How would they even know how many illegal copies are out there ?
                      They don't issue them.