how to import scripts and interface design into mach4

  • mach1cnc
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 16, 2013
      hi brian, thanks for your fast response and geat programming work!

      Great to hear that you will implement a lot of new functions into mach4.
      A) Please integrate an
      import tool
      for us to translate our own little scriptings from mach3 to mach4.

      B) For worldwide usage its important that we can adapt the layout to the country specific legislations and standards... I won´t go into details here, you know the problems.
      We need the configuration of the layout over the whole screen, with places to switch and click... for mouse and pressure sensitive solutions, for external inputs... and to change the backgrounds and the layout. THIS is the great INNOVATION of mach1, mach2, mach3 and....
      THE ABILITY TO ADAPT TO SPECIFIC MACHINES AND PROFESSIONAL SOLUTIONS
      =an open system )

      C) show us a way to adapt our layout solutions into the new mach4

      D) please inform us why, who and how to get the possibility for Beta-testing, like Les.

      D) to think about the man-hours of programming please consider the work of all these forum-members, who helped to make mach to that standards that you now can build upon.

      E) thanks :)
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 17, 2013
        Please see below:

        On 4/16/2013 4:57 PM, mach1cnc wrote:
        > hi brian, thanks for your fast response and geat programming work!
        >
        > Great to hear that you will implement a lot of new functions into mach4.
        > A) Please integrate an
        > import tool
        > for us to translate our own little scriptings from mach3 to mach4.

        Brian -> I don't think there can be a tool made to "import" the code..
        the issue is that you have a language conversion and then you have an
        "API" conversion. with the two of them I don't see how it could be done :( .

        > B) For worldwide usage its important that we can adapt the layout to the country specific legislations and standards... I won´t go into details here, you know the problems.
        > We need the configuration of the layout over the whole screen, with places to switch and click... for mouse and pressure sensitive solutions, for external inputs... and to change the backgrounds and the layout. THIS is the great INNOVATION of mach1, mach2, mach3 and....
        > THE ABILITY TO ADAPT TO SPECIFIC MACHINES AND PROFESSIONAL SOLUTIONS
        > =an open system )

        Brian -> I agree 100% That is why we have not released hobby with the
        static interface..

        > C) show us a way to adapt our layout solutions into the new mach4

        Brian -> Again there is not going to be an importer at this time. I
        don't know if it can be done and I also don't know if it should be
        done.. This is new because it needed to be not because we wanted it to
        be :( . This has the greatest ability to be done... so we will look into
        that but it is not top of the list at this time (Only because we don't
        have the time).

        > D) please inform us why, who and how to get the possibility for Beta-testing, like Les.

        Brian -> As soon as we are ready for Beta testing I will post a link and
        we will allow everyone to test it :) . At this time we are working with
        alpha testers and that is very limited at this time because there are to
        many things that will give 90% of the users a hard time.

        > D) to think about the man-hours of programming please consider the work of all these forum-members, who helped to make mach to that standards that you now can build upon.

        Brian -> I understand the hours that everyone has put in.. and I have
        done many myself... Mach4 is not a drop in replacement it is a whole new
        animal that will allow more functionality and greater tools to work
        with...It will take time but everyone should be able to shift over if
        they would like to and if not, your Mach3 will just keep working!

      • mach1cnc
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
          Hi Brian,

          thank you for your engangement and enthusiasm of mach4.

          Seems like the whole concept for users, forum and development of mach changes quietly ;)

          1) How long will you support and update Mach3 for new versions of windows 8 , 9 and so on?

          2) How long will we get new licenses for the classic Mach3 and what will be the pricing structure like?

          3) The alpha versions of Mach4 dissapeared from the download links...

          4) How can we qualify for alpha testing?

          5) The timelag to wait for beta and other versions is interesting, because users first need time to understand the new programming interface and then need their 1000thands of hours to adapt their specific solutions for add-ons to your new system.

          6)They could do their structure in the meantime while you are optimizing the core of the mach4 system, if you would give them a chance.

          7) The innovative system of mach was the parallelisation of development to all users...thats the open source knowledge, on which mach has its foundation with all the wizards and screens...

          8) You know, as long as you compress your work to only some alpha males, work will not be efficient in any way and your timeline for release will not work in time.

          9) I cannot understand this: who is HOBBY? who has PROFESSIONAL knowledge? How will you seperate the users working together since years? Which wizard is built only on Hobby Knowledge?

          10) Please inform us about the real pricing structure for these versions - if it´s out of reach for a adaptable version with open api we have to look if there will be sense for translating code from years of development

          11) did you forget all the users which worked with you for free on the same wizards together and for you system ?

          thank you for your time,
          best regards
        • chuck
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
            I think what is being very misunderstood is the fact that Mach4 is not an upgrade of Mach3 it is a completely new piece of software.
            anyone is free to stick with Mach3 if they wish and continue to utilize the many improvements that have been incorporated by countless contributors over the years.
            since you seem to be delighting in bashing the efforts that are being made to bring a new piece of software to the CNC world could you at least extend the courtesy of signing your posts.
            Chuck Smalfus

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
              oops... replied to the wrong post.. sorry
              but sign it anyway... ;)

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
                Please see below:

                On 4/18/2013 7:37 AM, mach1cnc wrote:

                > Hi Brian,
                >
                > thank you for your engangement and enthusiasm of mach4.
                >
                > Seems like the whole concept for users, forum and development of mach changes quietly ;)
                >
                > 1) How long will you support and update Mach3 for new versions of windows 8 , 9 and so on?

                Brian-> Support will go on for years. I will let it quietly slip away.

                > 2) How long will we get new licenses for the classic Mach3 and what will be the pricing structure like?

                Brian->For some time, Mach3 and Mach4 will be side by side. at some
                point we will stop selling Mach3 (OEMS is an other story)

                > 3) The alpha versions of Mach4 dissapeared from the download links...

                Brian->Yup... We got the data we needed and now we are working on new
                features :)

                > 4) How can we qualify for alpha testing?

                At this time we only have 3 copies out to "alpha" testers. Beta will be
                very wide spread.. We can't take anymore input and keep working :( .

                > 5) The timelag to wait for beta and other versions is interesting, because users first need time to understand the new programming interface and then need their 1000thands of hours to adapt their specific solutions for add-ons to your new system.

                Brian->I agree.. and at the same time it all needs to work :) We would
                like to make it all work here first. We will be making an auto
                toolchange script for a router today. when that is done it will go in
                the distro of Mach4.

                > 6)They could do their structure in the meantime while you are optimizing the core of the mach4 system, if you would give them a chance.

                Brian->I think we need to get examples done first.. It is better to
                modify then it is to start over.. Mach3 is not going to stop working :)

                > 7) The innovative system of mach was the parallelisation of development to all users...thats the open source knowledge, on which mach has its foundation with all the wizards and screens...

                Brian->This function is still in mach4.. You can make your own screens
                and so on.. but it will be some time before it is 100% done.. the screen
                design section of this project has been a major challenge :( .

                > 8) You know, as long as you compress your work to only some alpha males, work will not be efficient in any way and your timeline for release will not work in time.

                Ahh... okay I guess. Would you like to have software that we have not
                tested at all? I think we need to make parts and test before we ship it
                out..

                > 9) I cannot understand this: who is HOBBY? who has PROFESSIONAL knowledge? How will you seperate the users working together since years? Which wizard is built only on Hobby Knowledge?

                Brian->Hobby is the Mach3 replacement.. so same rules. If you are
                cutting for money we would like you to include us in that.. if you are
                doing it as a hobby we would like you to be able to have fun..

                > 10) Please inform us about the real pricing structure for these versions - if it´s out of reach for a adaptable version with open api we have to look if there will be sense for translating code from years of development

                Brian->That was in one of the first messages. 200.00 retail for Mach4
                Hobby (Same price scale as Mach3). industrial will be 1200.00 retail and
                we will have full phone support with that as well.. This is new.. we
                have never offered anything like this in the past..

                > 11) did you forget all the users which worked with you for free on the same wizards together and for you system ?

                Brian->This one makes me laugh.
                Yes there are a few people that made some wizards and shared them. Heck
                I was one of them! We will be doing the same thing in Mach4. They didn't
                need to share them if they didn't want too.. None if this is the core
                code that we charge for. So if you make a macro for MS Office do you
                get the newest version for free and a thank you letter in the mail? I
                don't get this at all. We will be offering an amazing bit of software
                at a very good price. I have paid to make it no one else... Did you
                forget that I have to pay everyone?

                This has been fun but I need to get back to making macros that we are
                going to giveaway..

              • chuck
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
                  Brian,
                  just to clarify is the Hobby ver and the Pro ver the same software but without direct phone support?
                  Chuck

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
                    At this time yes :) But over time Industrial will grow away from Hobby..

                    On 4/18/2013 10:57 AM, chuck wrote:
                    > Brian,
                    > just to clarify is the Hobby ver and the Pro ver the same software but without direct phone support?
                    > Chuck

                  • John Dammeyer
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
                      Brian,

                      How many licensed copies of MACH3 are out there and what is the estimate of
                      the number of unlicensed copies? How many are running the trial system
                      without a license?

                      Is there any information on how many LinuxCNC systems are in use? That's
                      probably a more difficult number to know.

                      John Dammeyer

                      At this time yes :) But over time Industrial will grow away from Hobby..

                      On 4/18/2013 10:57 AM, chuck wrote:
                      > Brian,
                      > just to clarify is the Hobby ver and the Pro ver the same software but
                      without direct phone support?
                      > Chuck

                    • ozzie34231
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
                        Hey Dammeyer!
                        Who are you?
                        What business do you have asking such a question?
                        Would you like to see the books too?!!!!
                        The audacity of some of the members of this forum is appalling.
                        Ozzie

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
                          The only number we know is how many have paid.. all the rest is unknown :(

                          On 4/18/2013 11:44 AM, John Dammeyer wrote:
                          > Brian,
                          >
                          > How many licensed copies of MACH3 are out there and what is the estimate of
                          > the number of unlicensed copies? How many are running the trial system
                          > without a license?
                          >
                          > Is there any information on how many LinuxCNC systems are in use? That's
                          > probably a more difficult number to know.
                          >
                          > John Dammeyer

                        • Dave
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
                            On 4/18/2013 11:44 AM, John Dammeyer wrote:
                            > Is there any information on how many LinuxCNC systems are in use?

                            The LinuxCNC guys have no idea as the software can be obtained and
                            replicated for free and from difference sources.

                            Dave
                          • John Dammeyer
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
                              Hey Ozzie34231,

                              What's your real name? Kind of a rude comment when you hide behind a code
                              name yourself. And by the way my first name is John which you must have
                              noticed since you used my last name.

                              The MACH3 web site lists over 10,000 copies sold on their home page. It's
                              quite possible that they have kept track of the number of illegal copies out
                              there. It's also quite possible if they know that number that they'd share
                              it or not.

                              But it never hurts to ask although sometimes these types of questions do
                              bring out the strangest replies.

                              John Dammeyer

                              What business do you have asking such a question?
                              Would you like to see the books too?!!!!
                              The audacity of some of the members of this forum is appalling.
                              Ozzie

                              --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "John Dammeyer" <johnd@...> wrote:

                              > Brian,
                              >
                              > How many licensed copies of MACH3 are out there and what is the
                              > estimate of the number of unlicensed copies? How many are running the
                              > trial system without a license?
                              >
                              > Is there any information on how many LinuxCNC systems are in use?
                              > That's probably a more difficult number to know.
                              >
                              > John Dammeyer

                            • John
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 18, 2013
                                How would they even know how many illegal copies are out there ?
                                They don't issue them.