Re: [mach1mach2cnc] driver and brake board

  • Henrik Olsson
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 10, 2013
      Hi Bob,

      There's no functionality built into Mach3 to automatically release the brake
      when the motion is about to start on a particular axis (the one with the
      brake). You can of course drive the brake from an ordinary output (via a
      relay etc of course) and control it "manually" with a M-code or something.

      I guess you could wire something like a re-triggable monostable, trig it
      with the step pulses and drive the brake with its output. Problem is I
      believe the brake isn't going to release fast enough for it to work reliably
      - but I may be wrong.

      With that said the most common way to handle a motor brake on something like
      a Z-axis is to drive the brake from either the same power supply that powers
      the drive or from something like a drive OK signal on the drive it self.
      That way the brake releases as soon as the drive has control of the motor
      (motor produces holding torque). If the power is shut down or the drive
      faults the brake engages preventing the motor/axis from
      backdriving/dropping..

      Hope that helps.

      /Henrik.

      _____