driver and brake board

  • Bob Campbell
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 10, 2013
      Guys,

      I have another question. A customer asked about a stepper motor with a brake
      attached. How does Mach3 handle a stepper motor with a brake.

      Bob Campbell

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 10, 2013
        Hi Bob,

        There's no functionality built into Mach3 to automatically release the brake
        when the motion is about to start on a particular axis (the one with the
        brake). You can of course drive the brake from an ordinary output (via a
        relay etc of course) and control it "manually" with a M-code or something.

        I guess you could wire something like a re-triggable monostable, trig it
        with the step pulses and drive the brake with its output. Problem is I
        believe the brake isn't going to release fast enough for it to work reliably
        - but I may be wrong.

        With that said the most common way to handle a motor brake on something like
        a Z-axis is to drive the brake from either the same power supply that powers
        the drive or from something like a drive OK signal on the drive it self.
        That way the brake releases as soon as the drive has control of the motor
        (motor produces holding torque). If the power is shut down or the drive
        faults the brake engages preventing the motor/axis from
        backdriving/dropping..

        Hope that helps.

        /Henrik.

        _____