Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Spindle and 120 volt VFD

  • johntech
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
      Fortino

      I Googled Homeshop.com - didn't see anything CNC related

      John

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
        Sorry. Homeshopcnc.com.

        Fortino

        Sent from my iPad

      • jgueydan@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
          I would not recommend running 2200 watts on a 20 amp breaker.
          It's a fire waiting to happen IMO.

          Dave <dc9@...> wrote:

          >2200 watts might run on a single 20 amp 120 volt outlet, but just barely
          >and it will probably trip the breaker once in a while.
          >I hope you have another 20 amp circuit for your feed drives and CNC
          >computer?
          >
          >Dave
          >
          >On 3/31/2013 8:37 PM, johntech wrote:
          >>

          >> Water cooled 1500- 2200 watt CNC spindle
          >> 8000-24000 RPM range, ER20 collet chuck, and runout of less than 0.005mm
          >>
          >> Would need it to handle 1/8" and 1/4" mils

        • fortino tan
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
            2200 watt will go to 3 phase circuit not single phase.
            VFD will run high speed spindle at 1-3 A current at 24000 RPM.

            Fortino

            Sent from my iPad

            On 1 Apr 2013, at 21:29, "jgueydan@..." <jgueydan@...> wrote:

            > I would not recommend running 2200 watts on a 20 amp breaker.
            > It's a fire waiting to happen IMO.

            > Dave <dc9@...> wrote:
            >
            > >2200 watts might run on a single 20 amp 120 volt outlet, but just barely
            > >and it will probably trip the breaker once in a while.
            > >I hope you have another 20 amp circuit for your feed drives and CNC
            > >computer?
            > >
            > >Dave
            > >
            > >On 3/31/2013 8:37 PM, johntech wrote:
            > >>

            > >> Water cooled 1500- 2200 watt CNC spindle
            > >> 8000-24000 RPM range, ER20 collet chuck, and runout of less than 0.005mm
            > >>
            > >> Would need it to handle 1/8" and 1/4" mils

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
              2200 watts might run on a single 20 amp 120 volt outlet, but just barely
              and it will probably trip the breaker once in a while.
              I hope you have another 20 amp circuit for your feed drives and CNC
              computer?

              Dave

              On 3/31/2013 8:37 PM, johntech wrote:

              > Water cooled 1500- 2200 watt CNC spindle
              > 8000-24000 RPM range, ER20 collet chuck, and runout of less than 0.005mm
              >
              > Would need it to handle 1/8" and 1/4" mils

            • Don
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
                Is anyone using model airplane servos with mach 3 out put. I want to drive two stepper motors and two servos. Is that being done? And how?  What I have in mind is a lathe with the spindle X axes a stepper and Y axes that run the tool back and forth a stepper motor and Z a model servo and a tool changer using another model servo.

              • Dave Halliday
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
                  If I recall correctly, the airplane servos use a regular pulse-train as
                  their input. The duty-cycle or width of the pulse determines the position
                  of the servo.

                  MACH3 (as well as most of the stepper motor controllers) uses a parallel
                  port with one pin for step and one pin to represent direction (CW/CCW)

                  Using a parallel port allows the status of all of the axes to be presented
                  at the same time - ker-chunk. If there was a variability in time from the
                  X-axis data to the y-axis data, trying to mill a diagonal line would result
                  in waving -- not a straight line.

                  You could use an arduino to scale and translate. You could also use some
                  more stepper motors -- dead printers have a lot of stepper motors in them
                  and they should have about the same torque as a hobby servo.

                • chuck
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
                    Dave,
                    just an fyi I have "hobby servos" in my turbine powered planes putting out 400+ in/oz I doubt any printer steppers could get anywhere near that... :) LOL..
                    the hobby servos do use pulse width to determine position ... ranges from 1 ms to 2 ms, with 1.5 ms being the neutral(center) position I believe most use a 50hz pulse stream.
                    there are lots of how-to's on the web. might be a good place for Don to start.
                    Chuck

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
                      Hi Chuck

                      Thanks for the heads up!

                      400 in/oz -- OMG! -- it ___has___ been a while since I played with them.

                      Dave

                    • Andy Wander
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
                        What is an inch per ounce?

                        Andy Wander

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
                          Attach a one inch long lever to the shaft.

                          Attach a 400 Ounce (25 Pound!) weight to the end of that lever. The servo
                          will lift it.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
                            Sounds like you mean torque, which is measured in in-oz or oz-in,, not
                            inches per ounce.

                            Andy Wander

                            _____

                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 2, 2013
                              Andy,
                              you are correct sir! please forgive the typo.... :{
                              Chuck