Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Spindle and 120 volt VFD

  • fortino tan
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 31 9:07 PM
      Homeshop.com

      Fortino

      Sent from my iPad

      On 1 Apr 2013, at 08:37, "johntech" <beebear@...> wrote:

      > Water cooled 1500- 2200 watt CNC spindle
      > 8000-24000 RPM range, ER20 collet chuck, and runout of less than 0.005mm
      >
      > Would need it to handle 1/8" and 1/4" mils

    • johntech
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
        Fortino

        I Googled Homeshop.com - didn't see anything CNC related

        John

        > Water cooled 1500- 2200 watt CNC spindle
        > 8000-24000 RPM range, ER20 collet chuck, and runout of less than 0.005mm
        >
        > Would need it to handle 1/8" and 1/4" mils

      • fortino tan
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
          Sorry. Homeshopcnc.com.

          Fortino

          Sent from my iPad

        • jgueydan@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
            I would not recommend running 2200 watts on a 20 amp breaker.
            It's a fire waiting to happen IMO.

            Dave <dc9@...> wrote:

            >2200 watts might run on a single 20 amp 120 volt outlet, but just barely
            >and it will probably trip the breaker once in a while.
            >I hope you have another 20 amp circuit for your feed drives and CNC
            >computer?
            >
            >Dave
            >
            >On 3/31/2013 8:37 PM, johntech wrote:
            >>

            >> Water cooled 1500- 2200 watt CNC spindle
            >> 8000-24000 RPM range, ER20 collet chuck, and runout of less than 0.005mm
            >>
            >> Would need it to handle 1/8" and 1/4" mils

          • fortino tan
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
              2200 watt will go to 3 phase circuit not single phase.
              VFD will run high speed spindle at 1-3 A current at 24000 RPM.

              Fortino

              Sent from my iPad

              On 1 Apr 2013, at 21:29, "jgueydan@..." <jgueydan@...> wrote:

              > I would not recommend running 2200 watts on a 20 amp breaker.
              > It's a fire waiting to happen IMO.

              > Dave <dc9@...> wrote:
              >
              > >2200 watts might run on a single 20 amp 120 volt outlet, but just barely
              > >and it will probably trip the breaker once in a while.
              > >I hope you have another 20 amp circuit for your feed drives and CNC
              > >computer?
              > >
              > >Dave
              > >
              > >On 3/31/2013 8:37 PM, johntech wrote:
              > >>

              > >> Water cooled 1500- 2200 watt CNC spindle
              > >> 8000-24000 RPM range, ER20 collet chuck, and runout of less than 0.005mm
              > >>
              > >> Would need it to handle 1/8" and 1/4" mils

            • Dave
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
                2200 watts might run on a single 20 amp 120 volt outlet, but just barely
                and it will probably trip the breaker once in a while.
                I hope you have another 20 amp circuit for your feed drives and CNC
                computer?

                Dave

                On 3/31/2013 8:37 PM, johntech wrote:

                > Water cooled 1500- 2200 watt CNC spindle
                > 8000-24000 RPM range, ER20 collet chuck, and runout of less than 0.005mm
                >
                > Would need it to handle 1/8" and 1/4" mils

              • Don
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
                  Is anyone using model airplane servos with mach 3 out put. I want to drive two stepper motors and two servos. Is that being done? And how?  What I have in mind is a lathe with the spindle X axes a stepper and Y axes that run the tool back and forth a stepper motor and Z a model servo and a tool changer using another model servo.

                • Dave Halliday
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
                    If I recall correctly, the airplane servos use a regular pulse-train as
                    their input. The duty-cycle or width of the pulse determines the position
                    of the servo.

                    MACH3 (as well as most of the stepper motor controllers) uses a parallel
                    port with one pin for step and one pin to represent direction (CW/CCW)

                    Using a parallel port allows the status of all of the axes to be presented
                    at the same time - ker-chunk. If there was a variability in time from the
                    X-axis data to the y-axis data, trying to mill a diagonal line would result
                    in waving -- not a straight line.

                    You could use an arduino to scale and translate. You could also use some
                    more stepper motors -- dead printers have a lot of stepper motors in them
                    and they should have about the same torque as a hobby servo.

                  • chuck
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
                      Dave,
                      just an fyi I have "hobby servos" in my turbine powered planes putting out 400+ in/oz I doubt any printer steppers could get anywhere near that... :) LOL..
                      the hobby servos do use pulse width to determine position ... ranges from 1 ms to 2 ms, with 1.5 ms being the neutral(center) position I believe most use a 50hz pulse stream.
                      there are lots of how-to's on the web. might be a good place for Don to start.
                      Chuck

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
                        Hi Chuck

                        Thanks for the heads up!

                        400 in/oz -- OMG! -- it ___has___ been a while since I played with them.

                        Dave

                      • Andy Wander
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
                          What is an inch per ounce?

                          Andy Wander

                          _____

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
                            Attach a one inch long lever to the shaft.

                            Attach a 400 Ounce (25 Pound!) weight to the end of that lever. The servo
                            will lift it.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 1, 2013
                              Sounds like you mean torque, which is measured in in-oz or oz-in,, not
                              inches per ounce.

                              Andy Wander

                              _____

                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 2, 2013
                                Andy,
                                you are correct sir! please forgive the typo.... :{
                                Chuck