Mach3 Feed changes causing deceleration to 0 first

  • joeyfredrick@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
      I'm using some HSM G-Code that has the feed rate change frequently. Each time it does it seems Mach3 decelerates to 0 before accelerating to the new feed which is causing obviously very slow execution. It's not a lookahead, that's set to 200 and it does fine with plenty of small movements so long as the feedrate does not change. I've messed with CV settings as much as I can think to but nothing seems to fix the issue specifically with feed changes. Any ideas?
    • Francisco Flores
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 31, 2013
        mm, sounds like it might be a trajectory planner deficiency. Seems like a similar issue i experience with mach3. But my machine doesn't come to a stop when mach3 sees the F speed reductions, rather, it decelerates at a very abrupt rate, compared to what is set at motor tuning dialog for accel./decel....
        regards,
        c.

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 31, 2013
          It isn't the planner that is doing it. I think it is the fact that it is
          trying to sync the control state of the planner and the Gcode
          interpreter. This was done so when you press stop you would be in the
          correct Feedrate.

          On 3/31/2013 9:30 AM, Francisco Flores wrote:
          > mm, sounds like it might be a trajectory planner deficiency. Seems like a similar issue i experience with mach3. But my machine doesn't come to a stop when mach3 sees the F speed reductions, rather, it decelerates at a very abrupt rate, compared to what is set at motor tuning dialog for accel./decel....
          > regards,
          > c.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • fortino tan
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 31, 2013
            What do you have for acceleration settings and velocity for X,Y,and Z axis?

            Fortino

            Sent from my iPad

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 31, 2013
              Variable feed rate is a pretty important feature for advanced, efficient HSM tool pathing. Is there a workaround to be able to change feeds frequently with Mach3 without it slowing things to a crawl?
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 1, 2013
                Andrew is going to set it up on a router here so we can see how it works
                with a changing feedrate.

                On 3/31/2013 10:47 PM, joeyfredrick@... wrote:
                > Variable feed rate is a pretty important feature for advanced, efficient HSM tool pathing. Is there a workaround to be able to change feeds frequently with Mach3 without it slowing things to a crawl?

              • picengraver
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 1, 2013
                  I and others are running laser diodes and using variable feed rate (Fx) on each line, and upwards of 300-500K lines successfully. I'm using .066 - not sure about others.

                  See this thread: http://hobbycncart.com/forum/63-151-27 for more details.

                  John Champlain
                  www.picengrave.com

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 1, 2013

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 1, 2013
                      I'm having the same issue as CSEWE aka Zoli is having. You said you tested his variable feed g-code and it ran intermittently (choppy) and yet you're having success using your own similar code? I don't see how that's possible or what the difference could be in your code unless you're including some G-codes that modify pathing like G64, etc. You mentioned that CAM g-code optimization seems to cause problems and that you keep it broken into tiny same-sized movements, but Zoli's code is also unoptimized. What's the difference between your G-code that works and Zoli's?

                      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "picengraver" <picengrave@...> wrote:

                      > I and others are running laser diodes and using variable feed rate (Fx) on each line, and upwards of 300-500K lines successfully. I'm using .066 - not sure about others.
                      >
                      > See this thread: http://hobbycncart.com/forum/63-151-27 for more details.
                      >
                      > John Champlain
                      > www.picengrave.com

                    • picengraver
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 1, 2013
                        Joey,
                        When I tested Zoli's code, my laser machine was not available, so I used my larger router (with a SmoothStepper/Geckos). I had assumed both machines would run the same. Not true.

                        I just went out and tested Zoli's code on my laser machine (PPort amd HobbyCNC controller) and it runs very smooth, as in Extremely Smooth. Absolutely no jerking or hesitation or feed rate going to zero. So, now I am puzzled. There has to be something different in the two machines. I run .066 on the large machine and .062 on the laser machine. Perhaps that is it. Unfortunately, each of my machines is in a different location, so I can not compare M3 settings just now.

                        I also compiled Zoli's image with my program in inch mode and ran the gcode, and it is just as smooth, so it is not likely a difference in gcode format or metric/inch.

                        I will be happy to work with you off line to see if we can figure out why this is happening (probably would take up too much bandwidth to do it on the group). Please PM me at: picengraveATverizon.net.

                        Regards,
                        John Champlain

                        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "joeyfredrick@..." <joeyfredrick@...> wrote:

                        > I'm having the same issue as CSEWE aka Zoli is having. You said you tested his variable feed g-code and it ran intermittently (choppy) and yet you're having success using your own similar code? I don't see how that's possible or what the difference could be in your code unless you're including some G-codes that modify pathing like G64, etc. You mentioned that CAM g-code optimization seems to cause problems and that you keep it broken into tiny same-sized movements, but Zoli's code is also unoptimized. What's the difference between your G-code that works and Zoli's?
                        >

                        > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "picengraver" <picengrave@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I and others are running laser diodes and using variable feed rate (Fx) on each line, and upwards of 300-500K lines successfully. I'm using .066 - not sure about others.
                        > >
                        > > See this thread: http://hobbycncart.com/forum/63-151-27 for more details.
                        > >
                        > > John Champlain
                        > > www.picengrave.com

                      • jeffery8189
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 1, 2013
                          It's been my experience that Mach runs smoother when there are more then one axis on each line of code even if one axis is not changing any position. The laser engraved images I did on this page.

                          http://hobbycncart.com/forum/63-151-25

                          I generated the code in John's program using analog laser code settings first which will be X,Y,& Z on each line then I edited the file and changed all Z- axis moves to F. It's the first picture in post #484. The second picture was done with the analog code where I varied the power of the laser diode instead of varying the feedrate. The picture in post #499 was done with an edited analog to varied feed rate Gcode also.

                          Zoli's code has only one axis on each line which will run rougher like a TTL laser Gcode will run in Mach.

                          Jeff

                          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "joeyfredrick@..." <joeyfredrick@...> wrote:

                          > I'm having the same issue as CSEWE aka Zoli is having. You said you tested his variable feed g-code and it ran intermittently (choppy) and yet you're having success using your own similar code? I don't see how that's possible or what the difference could be in your code unless you're including some G-codes that modify pathing like G64, etc. You mentioned that CAM g-code optimization seems to cause problems and that you keep it broken into tiny same-sized movements, but Zoli's code is also unoptimized. What's the difference between your G-code that works and Zoli's?
                          >

                          > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "picengraver" <picengrave@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I and others are running laser diodes and using variable feed rate (Fx) on each line, and upwards of 300-500K lines successfully. I'm using .066 - not sure about others.
                          > >
                          > > See this thread: http://hobbycncart.com/forum/63-151-27 for more details.
                          > >
                          > > John Champlain
                          > > www.picengrave.com

                        • picengraver
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 2, 2013
                            Joey and Group,
                            It appears that this issue is caused by running an older version of M3 as verified by some testing I did this morning. Using a later version (I tried .053 and .062, test code with a feed rate on each line runs smooth and quickly.

                            The same test code ran in 21 min 12 sec. on .062, but I'm to old now to wait for it to complete on .029. It appears it will literally take hours for the 24,761 lines of code to finish.

                            If any wish to test for them selves, Zoli's test code can be found here: http://hobbycncart.com/forum/63-151-28 - thread #543.

                            Regards,
                            John Champlain

                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 2, 2013
                              Thanks a bunch for the suggestion. Version .062 runs the code smooth. I had also tried Jeffrey's suggestion of adding Y and Z coords and that didn't help. It seems some versions of Mach3 have this problem and some don't.