Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re: hi

  • Ben Kamen
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 30, 2013
      On 2013-03-30 2:01 AM, Dave Halliday wrote:

      > There used to be no MAC viruii because of the 5% market share -- now there
      > are a lot of them. As the mainstream browers/OSs get locked down, malware
      > writers are heading to the fringes. Malware is big business so it is not
      > going away any time soon...

      I know it's kind of O.T.. --- but back in the 80's of MacOS, Mac's were the premiere virus platform because of all the active elements in the filesystem.

      Just popping a disk in a mac could inject a virus onto a system. something no other popular OS had to deal with at the time.
      (not IBM, not Atari, not Commodore.) None of those other systems would execute anything on insertion/mounting like the Mac's did. The user had to specifically *run* something.

      Then the Mac's popularly was eclipsed by the PC and they fell into lesser interest due to that 5% you mention.

      However, once upon a time, if you wanted to write a virus, the easiest platform to write them for was the Mac since the user didn't even need to really click on something. Just pop that floppy in and you were golden.

      Ouch.

      Anyway...

      -Ben
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 31, 2013
        I saw the email and deleted it immediately.

        Friends don't send other friends links that are known to be contaminated.

        Dave

        On 3/30/2013 12:12 AM, jeremywillson wrote:

        > I always click on them just to see what they are trying to do. If I
        > was using IE and/or Windows, I wouldn't dare do anything so rash and
        > foolish.
        >
        > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>, "ptegler" <ptegler@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I use IE FF Chrome (and Bitdefender)
        > > ...but simply know better than to ever even click on links like
        > that! :-)
        > >
        > > Paul Tegler

      • Tony Smith
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 1, 2013
          > Just popping a disk in a mac could inject a virus onto a system.
          something no
          > other popular OS had to deal with at the time.
          > (not IBM, not Atari, not Commodore.) None of those other systems would
          > execute anything on insertion/mounting like the Mac's did. The user had to
          > specifically *run* something.

          The Commodore Amiga did exactly the same thing.

          Anyway as mentioned they just hack your Yahoo account (automated password
          guessing?), no malware needed.

          Tony